[Monoprice] Monoprice SOUS VIDE back in stock, $69.99 USD

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 5:14 pm
Dec 14, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
antithesis99 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:31 pm
I'm tempted to get into Sous-Vide world, wondering would this be any better than a DIY from an old crockpot + a temperature controller?
Substantially better! To ensure even temperature in the bath, water circulation is recommended.

Not to say it wouldn't work at all, but the results won't be as even and I'd avoid doing any cooking close to the min temperature. For example, a rare beef brisket would be cooked at 131 °F for 24-48 hours -- at this temperature, a few degrees lower in one part of the meat could mean food poisoning for you and your guests. I've seen DIYs that incorporated a fish pump, but I take food safety a little too seriously and wouldn't take the risk.
Apr 27, 2008
1 posts
Calgary
PennyArcade wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:36 pm
wow, this is pretty much a complete copy to Anova with some minor cosmetic differences. I'm surprised that Anova isn't going after these people. ...
The Anova product (which I have) also has Bluetooth and/or Wifi remote connections, along with a mobile app with recipes that will automatically set the cooker time and temperature wirelessly for the selected dish - so there are significant differences. I have the Bluetooth equipped model and never use those features - I just lookup whatever I intend to cook and set it manually, though I can see it adds value for some.

As to the previous question about whether a DIY thermo control and crockpot combination will give the same results, I'd say no - I built one as an experiment, and while the electronic thermo sensor and control is very accurate, switching the crockpot element on and off is incapable of maintaining the temperature closely. A thermometer in the water bath shows it swings quite wide of the mark, and a few degrees with this cooking method makes a big difference in the result. The Anova keeps very, very tight temperature control.
Last edited by sspalding on Nov 14th, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
1807 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
sspalding wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:41 pm
The Anova product (which I have) also has Bluetooth and/or Wifi remote connections, along with a mobile app with recipes that will automatically set the cooker time and temperature wirelessly for the selected dish - so there are significant differences. I have the Bluetooth equipped model and never use those features - I just lookup whatever I intend to cook and set it manually, though I can see it adds value for some.

As to the previous question about whether a DIY thermo control and crockpot combination will give the same results, I'd say no - I built one as an experiment, and while the electronic thermo sensor and control is very accurate, switching the crockpot element on and off is incapable of maintaining the temperature closely. A thermometer in the water bath shows it swings quite wide of the mark, and a few degrees with this cooking method makes a big difference in the result. The Anova keeps very, very tight temperature control.
Wifi and bluetooth are kinda gimmicks. The Anova is really easy to just set up the time. Because things cook for such a long time and you dont fluctuate the heat, having things connected really doesn't make much sense other than you can say it talks to your phone. If it gave you an indication of water level or something that would be cool, so you could figure out if you need to top up the water for long cooks.
You Have No Life If You Can Calculate It Mathematically
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Stabilo7/RFD2.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
1286 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, I would definitely get this one, looks exactly the same as my anova.
Nov 19, 2009
391 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
jerschwab wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:00 pm
Very tempting, although I saw on another thread this can get as low as $49.99... ? I'm waiting for this kind of deal... maybe black Friday.
Yeah, it's been $48 at least twice in the last month or so. This is regular price, and although more affordable than Anova, I wouldn't get excited about it for $70.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2256 posts
276 upvotes
Burlington
Maybe a dumb question, but is it cUL rated? Ran into an issue with LED bulbs bought through monoprice that were 110v but not UL or CSA. There was a big RFD thread about how it might affect homeowners insurance claims if there's a fire. Somebody asked it on their site yesterday...no answer yet.
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends).
Apr 14, 2006
214 posts
91 upvotes
Monoprice stuff is usually decent. Great that there is some competition to the Annova as it will lower the prices for everyone.
Dec 3, 2006
8 posts
2 upvotes
Wow, ordered this on Amazon.ca yesterday morning with free shipping and I already received it. Estimated delivery was between next week and Dec. 1st. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Sep 5, 2008
284 posts
89 upvotes
Port Moody
ram77 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 2:35 pm
Yeah, it's been $48 at least twice in the last month or so. This is regular price, and although more affordable than Anova, I wouldn't get excited about it for $70.
Yeah, I'm going to use it for homebrew beer... so will probably just destroy it anyway. I'd rather just wait on a deal.
Sep 6, 2017
111 posts
62 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:27 pm
+1

For 1 piece of steak at around 1 inch thick, it's not that worth it since it's not a hard piece to cook nor really long to prepare, but when you're serving 5-6 steaks + to guests or making 2-2.5 inch thick steaks, the Sous vide is the best thing for that!
you would use it for tougher cuts of meat to make it tender.