Montessori fee while filing tax

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2018 2:59 am
[OP]
May 5, 2017
6 posts

Montessori fee while filing tax

Hi All,
My 3 yr old joined in Montessori program in a private a school. Mom is home maker. Is it possible to claim child care ?

Thanks!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1311 posts
505 upvotes
OTTAWA
Scarboroughuser wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 7:47 pm
Hi All,
My 3 yr old joined in Montessori program in a private a school. Mom is home maker. Is it possible to claim child care ?

Thanks!
No
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1408 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
Why No?
I have 2 kids in Montessori daycare. One is 6 will be graduating SK in June ... the other 3. Have been claiming it for both so far. Using Ufile I just answer the questions.

Revenue Canada asked me for proof after I efiled last year. And came back with all good.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1408 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
Scarboroughuser wrote:
Apr 1st, 2018 9:17 pm
Thank you so much Tlsrulz.can you pls explain the procedure to claim
I just followed the wizards in ufile. Once you add dependent children you can input child care expenses. I just input the numbers from the tax receipt given by the school. The software will auto assign the benifit to the most beneficial person in the family.
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 12:35 am
I just followed the wizards in ufile. Once you add dependent children you can input child care expenses. I just input the numbers from the tax receipt given by the school. The software will auto assign the benifit to the most beneficial person in the family.
Does your partner work or go to school? Op said wife us homemaker; I believe that disqualifies from child care deduction as she would be able to take care of the kids herself.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1047 posts
160 upvotes
It does disqualify the claim. If the wife has no income, and was not attending the exception cases found on form T778 you do not get to claim childcare expenses. TLSRULZ must have a different situation or is filing their taxes improperly.
Mikaelali wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 10:05 am
Does your partner work or go to school? Op said wife us homemaker; I believe that disqualifies from child care deduction as she would be able to take care of the kids herself.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23778 posts
1223 upvotes
Markham, ON
Remember it's child care ....to allow for both parents to "work". Can't think of it as for education for the child. Else, then ppl sending their child to private schools can claim it.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1408 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
Two things to clarify
- yes.. my wife works full-time.
- the Montessori my kids attend is probably classified as a daycare (even though providing Jk and Sk).

As to if I'm fileing incorrectly.. Revenue Canada did contact me and ask for me to submit the receipts .. so I'm sure after that they would have said something.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1311 posts
505 upvotes
OTTAWA
TLSRULZ wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2018 11:30 pm
Two things to clarify
- yes.. my wife works full-time.
- the Montessori my kids attend is probably classified as a daycare (even though providing Jk and Sk).

As to if I'm fileing incorrectly.. Revenue Canada did contact me and ask for me to submit the receipts .. so I'm sure after that they would have said something.
Sorry for the short answer that wasn't clear. Yes Montesorri and even private schools and almost any non-family member childcare . Nanny, student etc are claimable but if like OP your wife doesn't work you can't claim anything. For 100% clarity there are some exceptions full-time student etc. Homemaker etc is explicitly what is not covered.