• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 8:37 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
243 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Montessori vs Public School - Son going to JK

Our son is turning 4 and will be going to JK starting September. We've been debating to either send him to a Private Montessori vs Public School. We are in Markham by Markham and Denison

Currently he goes to Montessori 3 days a week ( we decided to this route instead of daycare after he turned 3 ) . We hear different opinions from people. Some say he will forget whatever he learned in Montessori as Public school JK is playbased and all . But Montessori was never the norm. All other kids come out okay as well.

Montessori is not cheap ( Trillium School ) . We are looking at spending around $1050 / Month. Someone has to pick ip /drop off as the school provides no bus service . Looking at additional costs if we need to find a private service for pick up /drop off

wanted to hear other people's views on this and what they did / are planning for similar scenario.

Thanks All!
32 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15834 posts
1785 upvotes
Generally speaking, schools in Markham are pretty good - I sent my child to JK/SK after a couple years of Montessori and continue to be happy with his progress.

JK/SK isn't entirely play based, schools do have a structured curriculum.

Personally I think it was a good decision to pull out of Montessori; I don't think there is much difference after the first couple of foundational years.

Check your local school, see if you like their program before deciding?
Last edited by coolspot on Feb 14th, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
243 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the feedback . Was thinking the same . want to maintain a balance between good foundation and financial liability that comes with private school.
coolspot wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 9:46 am
Generally speaking, schools in Markham are pretty good - I sent my child to JK/SK after a couple years of Montessori and continue to be happy with his progress.

JK/SK isn't entirely play based, schools do have a structured curriculum.

Personally I think it was a good decision to pull out of Montessori; I don't think there is much difference after the first couple of foundational years.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15834 posts
1785 upvotes
paf wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 9:51 am
Thanks for the feedback . Was thinking the same . want to maintain a balance between good foundation and financial liability that comes with private school.
Yes, I don't think the ROI is that great with staying in Montesorri.

Then again, with public school you may need to pay for after school care, that runs about $450 a month - so your true savings is only about 550 - 600 a month.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
243 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My parents usually pick him/ drop him off currently a well but they travel 2-3 months of the year so for those times, we would need to cover for aftercare - Not sure if its available only for few months or we have to signup for the entire year . have to find that out

coolspot wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 9:57 am
Yes, I don't think the ROI is that great with staying in Montesorri.

Then again, with public school you may need to pay for after school care, that runs about $450 a month - so your true savings is only about 550 - 600 a month.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15834 posts
1785 upvotes
paf wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 10:05 am
My parents usually pick him/ drop him off currently a well but they travel 2-3 months of the year so for those times, we would need to cover for aftercare - Not sure if its available only for few months or we have to signup for the entire year . have to find that out
Usually after school care is all-year; it's hard to get a part time spot... but you never know.
Mar 19, 2012
667 posts
106 upvotes
For 2-3 months you could hire someone maybe, a responsible high school kid, stay at home mom, day-homes that take short term clients and aupairs.

I looked at Montesseri and preschool and I think my son will be bored after a while as he has a wondering mind. I have finally found a preschool uses both of them (Montessori and Reggio). They promote children to use their brain rather then only playing with toys. They make stuff from recycled stuff Grinning Face And they also teach another language.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
243 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thank you. are you in Markham as well or Toronto ?

Our concern so he doesn't let go of what he has learned .

anyone know what sort of curriculum does JK follow ?

Cocoon wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 11:41 am
For 2-3 months you could hire someone maybe, a responsible high school kid, stay at home mom, day-homes that take short term clients and aupairs.

I looked at Montesseri and preschool and I think my son will be bored after a while as he has a wondering mind. I have finally found a preschool uses both of them (Montessori and Reggio). They promote children to use their brain rather then only playing with toys. They make stuff from recycled stuff Grinning Face And they also teach another language.
Jun 26, 2007
410 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
Another thing to consider is the class size of the JK/SK class at your local public school. I've heard some schools in Markham have 5 kindergarten classes of 30 kids each. Each class has 1 teacher and 1 ECE. So depends if you think your kid will transition well in that environment from less teacher attention.

I transferred my older one in SK after Montessori. For the younger one, I'm switching her out at JK as the school is small and good.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2227 posts
634 upvotes
fenomenon wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 2:17 pm
Another thing to consider is the class size of the JK/SK class at your local public school. I've heard some schools in Markham have 5 kindergarten classes of 30 kids each. Each class has 1 teacher and 1 ECE. So depends if you think your kid will transition well in that environment from less teacher attention.

I transferred my older one in SK after Montessori. For the younger one, I'm switching her out at JK as the school is small and good.
This is the most important part of the discussion. 30- 4 year olds in a room is never a good situation. I highly suggest you spend time reading about what is going on in crowded JK and SK classrooms. A quick google search will produce many results.

You can also use this tool to find out how many students are currently enrolled in the JK classes at your local school. https://www.app.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/sift/index.asp

If there are 25 plus students in classes at your local school I highly suggest you wait to make the transition either in the second half of SK or grade 1.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Public Mobile $38/4gb
Koodo flaming hot 6s deal

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3767 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
My son was in Montessori and now he is in public school. He is in grade one now. Montessori taught him a lot and he is bored in class now, like you said he sort of forgot what he learned in Montessori. We have registered spirit of math now to keep his math skill. Other parents told me if your kids go to Montessori school , then later either continue Montessori or go to French immersion
Aug 16, 2009
604 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
I was speaking to a neighbour a few months back and this is what she did with her kid. Her daughter attended Montessori up until JK. They moved so she sent her to a public school close to home for SK. Her daughter was so bored in SK and seemed to not be challenged at school all that much they switched her to a French Immersion school for Grade 1. Last I heard, she was enjoying the FI school much more than the public school which was closer to home.
Feb 8, 2011
400 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
As someone who was personally in Montessori for all of kindergarten I would suggest straight into JK.
I realize some kids wont have a bad transition like I did but my transition was really bad, I had some troubles making friend cause most people had done that already, and it was a rough year for my mom cause she needed to figure out all that stuff and motivate me to stick with it and deal with the teacher telling all the issues about me.
Jul 22, 2015
172 posts
26 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
My oldest did 3 years of Montessori (Casa Program). It was a complete waste of time and money for us. By the time my oldest went to grade 1 in the public system, we were told my child was reading at a pre-k level and was behind in math. With some additional help, my child is now mostly caught up, but when I signed up for private school, I never expected my child would be behind (note: my child does not have a learning disability that would have affected learning at Montessori). If I were to do it all over again, I would do the pre-k levels at Montessori, but JK and up at public school.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel