Parenting & Family

Montessori vs Public School - Son going to JK

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 8:37 am
Apr 23, 2008
274 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
May I ask what's the difference between regular day care and Public/Montessori school? Thanks!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15906 posts
1817 upvotes
smehmood wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 8:24 am
May I ask what's the difference between regular day care and Public/Montessori school? Thanks!
Montessori schools are supposed to follow the "Montessori education" developed by Maria Montessori. The CCMA (an industry group) does certify the schools, but it is not a legal requirement to do so, nor does the CCMA have any regulatory powers. As such, some daycares label themselves as Montessori in an effort to increase fees.

Daycares on the other hand provide day care - i.e. watching the child. Whatever education a day care provides is up to the owner/teacher to decide.

Like I said, there is no legal requirement for a Montessori nor is the curriculum set at a daycare, therefore you really have to evaluate each school on an individual basis to see what is best for you and your child.
May 12, 2014
542 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
TLSRULZ wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:44 am
Yes definitely has something to do with it.. I know people say that .. my girl did everything earlier... from potty training to puzzles to deductive logic.. when compared to my son.
Same experience for me. I was starting to worry the boy is slow, and he is in compared to girls, but avg compared to other boys.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel