[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
894 posts
360 upvotes
WESTMOUNT

[Montreal] J-Sonic Refurbished TV Sale

Expiry:
August 20, 2017
This is a sale that J-Sonic holds 3-4 times a year. The sale is next weekend. It starts Thursday evening and finishes on Sunday (August 17-20). They have many refurbished TVs (typically Samsung, LG, and Sony). They give a three-month warranty on all refurbished TVs. Extended warranties are also available.

For those who have never been to a J-Sonic sale, here is what you can expect.

If you go before the sale starts, you can expect a line-up to get in. If your plan is to get an iPad or one of the 4k TVs with limited quantities (15-20 per day), you should go plenty early. Those items fly out of the store.

Once you walk in you are confronted with three choices. If you go left, you will see all the smaller electronics (smart watches, iPads, computer monitors, etc.) Go straight ahead and see a sort of show room with the different refurbished TVs. If one of these TVs is interesting to you, grab one of the salespeople to write you up a sales order. Finally, turn right this is the real RFD area of the sale (in their ad they say it is not available on Thursday). This is where the deep discounts are. This is because there are problems that they were not able to remedy. Typically this is burnt pixels, vertical or horizontal lines, discolouration, etc. This is not the section for those who fuss over the quality of their TV picture. This is the section for those who can accept a burnt pixel or two and the extra moolah in their pockets! If you decided this is for you, there are 3-4 sections here. The furthest on the left is for the bigger TVs (50-70). On the right is the smaller TVs. The salespeople take TVs out of their boxes and show you the defect. Here it is first come first served. Once it is your turn, you get first chance to take the TV or not. If you refuse it, the next person can take it and so on. In some cases, it took the salesperson several minutes to find the burnt pixel. In the cases of lines and colour discolouration finding the flaw is pretty easy. The last sale 46-inch 4k TVs were going for $300-350. Even one guy picked up a 70-inch Samsung smart TV with a grey line an inch from the bottom for $500. The same model was selling for $2200 at Best Buy.

As you exit (passing through the show room, the line for the cash is on the right. On the left is the other stuff like the sound bars, microwaves, etc. Finally, you can head to the line for the cash, take your receipt to the exit. You will want to pull your car around to the loading dock and hand off your receipt to the techs. Otherwise, you will have to lug your TV through the parking lot.

Enjoy!
24 replies
Dec 8, 2008
824 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thinking of getting the microwave
Oct 27, 2012
75 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, probably going to pick an iPad up.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
894 posts
360 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
bigmeanjo wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 2:44 am
Thanks OP, probably going to pick an iPad up.
Go early as they get snapped up fast.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
894 posts
360 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
slayerwulf wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 7:37 am
I am curious on the model of the 75"
Probably LG, Samsung, Vizio or Haier. Most of their TVs come from Costco.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
894 posts
360 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
PS If you sign up for their newsletter, you will get early VIP access on Thursday.
Dec 8, 2008
824 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal, QC
herrdude wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:55 am
PS If you sign up for their newsletter, you will get early VIP access on Thursday.
Just signed up, what time is the early access?
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
894 posts
360 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
DaSnipe wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 10:39 am
Just signed up, what time is the early access?
Usually, they open early for VIP access but they never verify and the specials are not different. This time they have VIP specials Image

And they say:
To our loyal clientele,
VIP means VIP !!! We will be opening for our Loyal V.I.P’s subscribers - ONLY- for a special “pre-sale” Open Thursday August 17th from 2-4 pm !!!
Dec 8, 2008
824 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I just got the email this morning, interesting! Thanks for the update!
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
894 posts
360 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
DaSnipe wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 9:49 am
I just got the email this morning, interesting! Thanks for the update!
If you are interested, I suggest that you go early. It lines up early and even getting into the parking lot can be a challenge.
Apr 10, 2011
847 posts
523 upvotes
Montreal
MontrealParis wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 8:12 am
Very detailed and informative post. Thank you OP.
+1 Good job Herrdude.

Although, I will never understand what some people are willing to endure for years just to save a few dollars. For example, in a TV "vertical or horizontal lines, discolouration" or "a burnt pixel or two": that would drive me nuts!

Imagine watching your favourite movie with a pink spot in a corner or "a grey line an inch from the bottom"! Insane!

"Different strokes for different folks", I guess...

Here's the link to the Website: https://refurbished.ca/shop/
[OP]
Jul 8, 2011
894 posts
360 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Temporel wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:11 am
+1 Good job Herrdude.

Although, I will never understand what some people are willing to endure for years just to save a few dollars. For example, in a TV "vertical or horizontal lines, discolouration" or "a burnt pixel or two": that would drive me nuts!

Imagine watching your favourite movie with a pink spot in a corner or "a grey line an inch from the bottom"! Insane!

"Different strokes for different folks", I guess...

Here's the link to the Website: https://refurbished.ca/shop/
Thanks Temporel!

Just to clarify. if you go to their Extreme Markdown Section, you will find TVs with lines, dead pixels, blotching, etc. (Although one guy got a 55-inch Haier 4k TV that apparently had blotching for $150).

But if you go to the regular section, the TVs are completely refurbished and have zero flaws.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2748 posts
151 upvotes
Best place to pickup a tv
Hello