• Apr 18th, 2015 7:27 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 6, 2012
199 posts
80 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Moped/Scooter & Insurance

So I'm a 29 year old male, and won't have a full G license until December at the earliest (I know, I know, just never got to it).

Even if I get a run-down beater car, I think my insurance would still be ridiculous ($300-400+ a month, easy?)

I'm pretty used to public transit all my life, and still comfortable with that, but thought, would it make any sense to get my M1 and buy a cheap scooter, to improve my mobility a bit for the summer/fall? Could buy something around 150cc, for $2000, but does anyone know what insurance I could expect for that? (I like the lower gas expenses also)

Anyone with knowledge/advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
You'll be in a high cost bracket until you get your G and M2.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1399 posts
301 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
If you're not going on the freeway, yoy could get a 50cc. The insurance will be a lot cheaper.
Jul 6, 2012
199 posts
80 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
actually, I do want the ability to make a short hop on the highway to cross the city to visit my family, hence the somewhat bigger engine (also, I heard the 50cc still has a lot of trouble keeping up with regular traffic).

I plan to get the M2 within a couple months (going to the motorcycle schoo), but does anyone know what kind of insurance I might be paying monthly, either under the M1 or the M2? For a used ~$2000 scooter?
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is coming from someone that has gone through a similar situation as you (although I'm a tad bit younger); a small scoot is a good idea but theres a couple things you must know. Most moto insurance rates are based on cc's, thus (at least when I was getting insurance) there was a substantial difference between 50cc scoots and 125-150cc scoots. we're talking 700 annual VS 3000 grand ( I was 19 at the time; TD, jevco (now intact), RBC).

Also keep in mind that most 125-150cc scooters are not suitable for 400 level highways.. Yes they can reach the 100km mark but not in a speedy fashion to say the least. If your dead set on a highway capable machine, go with a motorcycle. Choose between a honda cbr 125, 250, Kawasaki 250, 300, etc. Keep in mind that you can expect insurance rates from 1000 or so to 3.5k if you are in Toronto.

If your commute is all city based, and you okay will using transit every now and then, get the 50cc. Yes their incredibly uncool, but its gets you from A to B, and after your first year of insurance experience you can then move on to a bigger scoot or motorcycle.

Last piece of advice, GO TO one of the motorycle and scooter driver training schools if you've never ridden a moto bike..

If there's anything you want know, just ask.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6327 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
I was in the same boat 8 years ago.
I had a yamaha Vino, i paid $1800 for it in mint condition.
I got my m1 and used it for 3mts until i sold the vino, i regretted selling it though.
My insurance was less than $300 a year with Mutaragh Smith on the Danforth and Broadview area.
I hope my experience helps.