Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1233 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto

Moral dilemma? What would you do?

So your close friend asks you to babysit her autistic child for a short period of time, child has severe behavioural issues but it’s your friend you help them out. If the child knocks over your new flat screen tv and breaks the stand (not the tv) would you tell your friend? Keeping in mind you fully intended on mounting the tv anyway. Is this something to tell your friend and try to make a light joke of it ie. at least he didn’t break the tv haha? Or would you not tell them anything at all and say that little Timmy was a peach, lol curious to get your opinions
32 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16278 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
Don't tell unless in the recess of your mind (which I suspect, hence the thread) want compensation (money, apology, acknowledgement, etc).

You asked.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1314 posts
612 upvotes
GTA
Supercooled wrote:
May 7th, 2018 3:36 am
Don't tell unless in the recess of your mind (which I suspect, hence the thread) want compensation (money, apology, acknowledgement, etc).

You asked.
Agreed. Child did it in error, not with malicious intent.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1784 posts
461 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'd report it just as information but make it clear that you're not expecting anything (assuming you're not) and are happy to watch the child again (assuming you are) but that you wanted to pass along your observations.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6157 posts
1336 upvotes
If Timmy had a fit and broke the stand while acting out, and she asked, I'd mention that he had a fit (but not the stand, because who cares about it.)

If it was an accident while playing, etc. I wouldn't mention it.

I'm not into lying, even white lies...only when they are sure to hurt someone's feelings and I don't see that here.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27988 posts
927 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Interesting. As a parent, I would have been more involved in the child-proofing of your home before allowing it to happen. Our Prize winning hellspawns are healthy & well & we would still be very keen to qualify the surroundings they will spend time in. As a parent with an autistic child, I am frankly stunned she didn't bother to point out that you may want to secure any valuables or fragile items.

THAT SAID. Legally...I wonder if the parent is 100% liable for any damages. As a friend, I would mention it, but as above - say you're not expecting any compensation. If she volunteers an amount over half, say hey let's just split it.

Ohhhh., just the stand....heck., depending on how much it is worth & how close you are to the family, just take it on the chin and be content it wasn't the tv.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: You may want to brush up on your child-care skills for autistic children (if you can specify which specifics, that will help your moral & practical decision making process down the road if you truly want to babysit again).
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2124 posts
149 upvotes
At the very least, let the friend know as an FYI.

The next person who babysits may care more about their stand or may not be so lucky that it was only the stand that gets broken!
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12534 posts
3071 upvotes
Here 'n There
don't make your friend feel bad, not to mention you should have child proofed.

move on as there is on moral dilemma here...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8679 posts
1912 upvotes
Trump University
I would tell the parent! What if the child is hurt? The parent should at least be informed about all accidents.

Who cares about the stupid TV or the stand? You're talking about a few hundred to thousand dollars for the whole thing anyways
RFD Meanie 😎
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1755 posts
555 upvotes
Careful. Did the child get injured? Did s/he have any bruises? If yes, you should report it to the parent, so that they are aware.

Should you ask for compensation for the damaged TV stand? No. When you accepted to babysit, you also accepted the risks. The optics would look very bad.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4505 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
if the tv broke, i'd be like "what child?"
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16278 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
She's only asking if mentioning it to the parent would seem 'uncouth' (my word, not hers... obviously).

In reality, any sugar coating will always come off as an attempt to guilt trip the parent into apologizing and or offer monetary compensation due to polite etiquette.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19236 posts
7493 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Supercooled wrote:
May 7th, 2018 12:42 pm
She's only asking if mentioning it to the parent would seem 'uncouth' (my word, not hers... obviously).

In reality, any sugar coating will always come off as an attempt to guilt trip the parent into apologizing and or offer monetary compensation due to polite etiquette.
thumbs up for using the word uncouth in a sentence
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1233 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote:
May 7th, 2018 11:14 am
I would tell the parent! What if the child is hurt? The parent should at least be informed about all accidents.

Who cares about the stupid TV or the stand? You're talking about a few hundred to thousand dollars for the whole thing anyways
So one of your friends kids can come to your house and break a 1k item and you wouldn’t care? LOL OK baller

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)