More back spousal support questions

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2012 9:06 am
Tags:
None
Mar 28, 2011
39 posts

More back spousal support questions

So my gfs mother passed away recently and had a back spousal support agreement. My gf is in charge of her estate and is entitled to it. The agreement they had states that even in the event if her death this is to be paid. So this month the court payment didn't get deposited in
The joint account(they had a joint account). How is this possible? I'm trying to get some info before I have to pay a lawyer. I should also note her father(the one Paying this) asked for a death certificate. Wouldn't someone have to be contacted by the courts for this to happen? I'm in Ontario. Any help would be apprieciated
1 reply
Jul 18, 2009
679 posts
103 upvotes
I'm guessing the debt was being collected by the family responsibility office? They don't collect after the death of a payor - maybe they don't after the death of a payee as well? That would not mean the debt was not legally payable to the estate, just that the FRO may not be involved anymore.

In any case, your GF should seek legal advice both to settle the estate, and as part of the estate, to deal with the debt. You aren't saving money by getting advice from the internet first - if anything, you will get tons of incorrect answers, then go into see a lawyer with all kinds of misinformation that s/he will need to correct - it will take more time than starting from scratch.

Your GF should talk to her lawyer!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)