Green / Eco-Friendly

Is it more economical to run the A/C only during off-peak hours?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 1:53 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2008
3071 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 6:15 am
Ok but what's the rate for our neighbor Quebec ?
How many nuclear power reactors do they have in Quebec?

Much cheaper to just toss rocks in a river than to split atoms to produce electricity.
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9180 posts
3133 upvotes
Brampton
Little Tim wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 1:11 pm
How many nuclear power reactors do they have in Quebec?

Much cheaper to just toss rocks in a river than to split atoms to produce electricity.
If you're trying to elude to the reason why we have higher rates is because we have nukes you're wrong.

That's just bad investments/decisions on Ontario's part that gave us our crappy rates.
The whole Green Energy angle was a boondoggle. I'm not against Green power but if you look at the mishandling of the contracts under the libs (and I ain't even talking about Wynne this went back to McGinty) you'll see why this province is such a disaster when it comes to energy planning.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 16, 2011
2151 posts
1327 upvotes
Clarington
tebore wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 6:15 am
Ok but what's the rate for our neighbor Quebec ?
Quebec has one of the lowest hydro rates anywhere in the world (Manitoba is pretty close also). No argument there nor am I arguing against your point that the Ontario government screwed us. Just pointing out that in context, it's not horrible.

Something also to point out is that while it might be awesome to pay low hydro fees, the Quebec taxes are insane. The average household also makes $10,000 less in Quebec than it does in Ontario.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9180 posts
3133 upvotes
Brampton
Bawler wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 1:26 pm
Quebec has one of the lowest hydro rates anywhere in the world (Manitoba is pretty close also). No argument there nor am I arguing against your point that the Ontario government screwed us. Just pointing out that in context, it's not horrible.

Something also to point out is that while it might be awesome to pay low hydro fees, the Quebec taxes are insane. The average household also makes $10,000 less in Quebec than it does in Ontario.
Also you gotta live in Quebec...
If high hydro rates is the price to pay I rather be here.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2008
3071 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto
Bawler wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 1:26 pm
Quebec has one of the lowest hydro rates anywhere in the world (Manitoba is pretty close also). No argument there nor am I arguing against your point that the Ontario government screwed us. Just pointing out that in context, it's not horrible.

Something also to point out is that while it might be awesome to pay low hydro fees, the Quebec taxes are insane. The average household also makes $10,000 less in Quebec than it does in Ontario.
Thank you for trying to keep this discussion centred around facts rather than politicized hyperbole.
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Sr. Member
Jul 7, 2017
845 posts
288 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Bawler wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:51 pm

Average prices for USA cities:

NYC - 29.67¢/kWh
San Fran - 31.05¢/kWh
Miami - 13.39¢/kWh
Detroit - 21.22¢/kWh
Boston - 28.45¢/kWh
Houston - 12.34¢/kWh
Seattle - 15.05¢/kWh

The average European price is 30.48¢/kWh (20.02 euro cents per kWh). Australia costs 31.83¢/kWh (34.41 AUD cents per kilowatt-hour).
And if you go to Hawaii, it's in the mid US$0.30 range. Solar panels and water heaters are popular for obvious reasons.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Sr. Member
May 12, 2003
692 posts
162 upvotes
You can't just pick and choose one destination and say "mine is higher than this place"

Agree with Bawler, the rates around large cities in the USA, as well as Europe is ridiculously high.

My sister pays close to 80 swiss francs per month in hydro bills for her 600 square foot condo, same condo here would be close to $60-70

FYI: 180 francs = $130
tebore wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 6:15 am
Ok but what's the rate for our neighbor Quebec ?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28777 posts
4056 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
WikkiWikki wrote:
Sep 10th, 2018 3:35 pm
So then why do so many on here say Toronto and Ontario are the best places to live in Canada?
It's a great place to live, you just have to pay a fortune for the privilege.

I just signed up for a pilot project. I will have a flat rate 24 hours a day, but only for two of the four seasons and weekends and holidays



Image
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1946 posts
594 upvotes
Mississauga
^^Which utility company has the pilot?

It is pretty close looking at my consumption of the past four seasons assuming rates stayed thesame (Costs $1.50 more in the Fall/Spring but $7.50 savings in the Summer/Winter). $6 difference is not huge but the cheaper Off-peak in the summer helps since that is when I do most of my consumption. Knowing my family consumption will likely increase since rates are "cheaper".Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28777 posts
4056 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bubuski wrote:
Sep 28th, 2018 1:55 pm
^^Which utility company has the pilot?
If you’re in Mississauga, you’re with Alectra and you don’t get to chose.

I’m with Tay Hydro, they are giving me a free Ecobee 3 to be on the pilot. I like my current (non smart) thermostat, so I’ll be selling it when it arrives.
Newbie
Jul 13, 2018
9 posts
just want to know how it works in the condo system
heater and AC are included in my condo's maintenance fee. When I turn on the heater/AC, it won't have any effects on the hydro bill right? What about the fan for the heater/AC? I can adjust the fan speed but not able to turn it off. It's a pretty old thermostat.

Top