Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9722 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver

More RAM or faster processor?

My imac is around 6-7 yrs old. I am debating on some options including buying a new imac or even buying a mb pro.

Is RAM more important than processor speed when looking at buying a new imac or mb pro?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19983 posts
6132 upvotes
It depends on what you're doing with it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9722 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmmm I'm an average user. Never have more than 2-3-4 apps running. Maybe 6 tabs as I roam the www. YouTube. Streaming to Apple TV. Torrent downloads . Nothing crazy. I'd say I'm an average user.

It's such a tough decision on what to do or to buy. Specs can be confusing.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30070 posts
4783 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
How much RAM do you currently have? Based on your usage, you're probably better off with more RAM
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9722 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
That's an option I was considering. But not sure how much difference it will make. Maybe put RAM money towards a new machine?

I only have 4gb :/. My iMac has 4 slots.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2022 posts
1412 upvotes
Check your current machine to see how much RAM you currently use. Go to Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor and select the Memory Tab. At the bottom of the window you will see Memory Used. If it is close to your max RAM, more RAM will help.

A new machine would be great. The iMac hasn't been updated for a while and rumour is a major update will be coming this Fall.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9722 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh ok thanks :) cool. Mine says using 3.5gb/4gb
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1981 posts
872 upvotes
Saint John
CPU is probably fine. Do you know specifically what model it is?

Upgrading to 8GB would be good, and you should get an SSD if your machine feels slow. That will do more than anything else to speed up general computing.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1981 posts
872 upvotes
Saint John
trellaine201 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 9:47 pm
But to have an SSD drive installed would get quite pricey.

Maybe I'll see how much ram is and maybe try that first.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP623?locale=en_CA

My iMac
Should be able to do it yourself, especially since your Mac isn't too old. I know they get progressively harder to work on with each generation. A 250GB drive will cost you between $100 and $120. Well worth it. If you can take it apart to install RAM, you should be able to just throw in an SSD while you're at it.

That CPU is a Sandy Bridge i5 2400S (at minimum). Any quad core from that generation should do you fine for a few more years for general computing. A lot of people are still happily using its overclockable big brother the 2500K as a gaming CPU.

EDIT: OK, so I was wrong. Looks like it's more complicated that I thought. But still doable... Ugh, Macs.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIM21SSD11/
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9722 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmmm think I'll inquire about the cost to install :) the SSD. I'll keep the current hdd and have them take the optical drive and put in an SSD drive and setup.

Hopefully all this for under $500