Personal Finance

More Rewards program - how much are points worth??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 9:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 17, 2012
32 posts
6 upvotes

More Rewards program - how much are points worth??

I tried googling this and searching the forums but can't seem to find the answer, my apologies if this is a stupid question.

So with the More Rewards card (www.morerewards.ca) you can earn 1 point for every $1 spent at Save-On-Foods or Chevron. My question is, how much $$ is 1 point worth?? Specifically, if I want to redeem the points at Save-On or Chevron.

In general, I find these points cards do everything possible to abstract the actual value of their points. When you do the math most are a pretty ***** deal! haha.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2013 posts
635 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
We've had this card a long, long time and have not received much value from it. Certainly nothing close to the value we've received from PC Points so far. Maybe we don't shop at Save On enough? I'm not sure. You might try checking the flyer online, because they advertise offers involving their points in the flyer. Also, just so you know, if you use Canadian Direct Insurance, they also add Save On points.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
[OP]
Feb 17, 2012
32 posts
6 upvotes
Bump.

Sorry TheHans, but I was looking for something more concrete than an anecdotal answer. 1000 reward points = $?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2013 posts
635 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
It's not entirely anecdotal. Go to the Web site. Go to the flyer. Read how many points you get. Your answer is there.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
3945 posts
637 upvotes
Richmond
its catalog style with gift cards from sears and bay. 1800 can redeem a dozen large eggs for free.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7211 posts
857 upvotes
Burnaby
Looks like it's around 6k points for a $10 starbucks giftcard or 5k for a Cineplex movie ticket (approx 10-12 depending if you buy corporate admit one vouchers or pay full price). The eggs above is 1.8k for around $3.50 in eggs, so about the same rate

1 point is therefore around 0.2 cents, or 1000 points = $2
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4234 posts
1310 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
Mar 15th, 2014 7:25 pm
We've had this card a long, long time and have not received much value from it. Certainly nothing close to the value we've received from PC Points so far. Maybe we don't shop at Save On enough? I'm not sure. You might try checking the flyer online, because they advertise offers involving their points in the flyer. Also, just so you know, if you use Canadian Direct Insurance, they also add Save On points.
Same here! This points program is an absolute joke. Even Air Miles are better because they do eventually materialize into something if you collect Cash Air Miles. I would never buy anything at SOF just for the points. The points are incidental and if they amount to something one day, great. But if not, no tears shed.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2556 posts
1693 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
The points are worth approx 0.42 cents when redeeming on their travel webpage. If you used to use the coupon kiosk before shopping at Save On, you could easily accumulate a ton of points this way but this is no longer available. The VISA card from Scotia does make it more compelling as it means approx 2.4ish% earnings when shopping at Save on and 1.6ish% everywhere else assuming you use the points there.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3419 posts
2983 upvotes
Vancouver
Redeeming SOM points for in-store items like gift cards or groceries is almost always a bad deal. Redeeming for travel is much better value. I have 9,480 points, which will give me $40.67 off a Westjet flight. If you link your SOM card to your Petro Points card you get 1 SOM point for every dollar spent at Petro Canada in addition to your Petro Points, so it's like getting an additional 0.43% on your gas purchases. Granted it's not much, but the points are free so why not.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4234 posts
1310 upvotes
Save on More is really the illusion of a points program.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3419 posts
2983 upvotes
Vancouver
I have to agree, the points aren't worth much. The real benefit of Save On More is not in the points, but in the instant price reductions you get on certain items. Those can be very good deals. At Save On Foods today, SOM got me 50% off Ryvita crackers ($3.99 down to $2.00), beating No Frills' $2.97.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Aug 29, 2017
35 posts
18 upvotes
We got a Jackson Grill Lux 550 barbeque (worth about $1000) for 149,000 points so the points aren't always that bad, not sure if it was mislabeling or a "sale" and that was a few years ago.
Sep 5, 2005
272 posts
137 upvotes
Victoria
I did the math once and found the cash + points BC Ferries car & driver voucher was the best value.
If you use the app, there are often app-only coupons for bonus points for $40 or $50 vs the normal $100 that' on the printed flyer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5610 posts
1293 upvotes
BC
Points are worth anywhere between 0.1c and 0.8c depending on what you choose to use them for.

So no useful answer in general to the question "how much is a SOM point worth?"

"Free" grocery items are invariable the worst option down in the 0.1c ballpark. But even there considerable variation exists. You have to do the math.

As noted by tofinoguy the ferry tickets are a solid choice if you need them. In the 0.3c area unless there is a off-peak promo ongoing in which case the points are worth less of course.

Other travel options are higher yield around 0.5c but tend to be discretionary purchases or upgrade packages which you might not otherwise have bought (or really need).

At the top end, as Trisnics says, on rare occasions limited-time offers of specific household goods and electronic items make a SOM point worth around 0.7c - 0.8c
Again, can be a good choice if you were really intending to acquire said item anyway and you know the lowest price it is available for elsewhere.