Personal Finance

More Rewards program - how much are points worth??

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 9:40 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 5, 2005
272 posts
137 upvotes
Victoria
macnut wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 4:37 pm
As noted by tofinoguy the ferry tickets are a solid choice if you need them. In the 0.3c area unless there is a off-peak promo ongoing in which case the points are worth less of course.
Cash & points on the ferry tickets works out better.
Car & driver is worth $74.40, cost of 27,000 reward points.
That's 0.3c per point.

You can do cash & points for 6600 points plus $40.
That means the 6600 points are worth $34.40 (74.40 - 40).
That works out to 0.5c per point.
Nov 16, 2017
23 posts
27 upvotes
This is great. How does it work with a passenger?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1549 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 4:04 pm
I have to agree, the points aren't worth much. The real benefit of Save On More is not in the points, but in the instant price reductions you get on certain items. Those can be very good deals. At Save On Foods today, SOM got me 50% off Ryvita crackers ($3.99 down to $2.00), beating No Frills' $2.97.
To put it another way, any sale pricing at Save On Foods is only available to people with More Rewards cards.

Many stores have a 'store card' which will they will scan for people who don't have one just so the customer can get the sale pricing.

By the way, I often see people with 100k+ point balances (it shows up on the cashier's screen when they are checking out). The lady in front of me in the checkout today had 186k. How do people get so many points? Surely even a big family doing all their groceries at Save On for years does not spend 100k.
Sep 5, 2005
272 posts
137 upvotes
Victoria
trevdanc wrote:
Nov 27th, 2018 9:32 pm
This is great. How does it work with a passenger?
You can pay separately for the passenger at the ticket booth. Or get a passenger voucher from More Rewards. But it has less value.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2553 posts
1687 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
Rishi wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 12:34 am
By the way, I often see people with 100k+ point balances (it shows up on the cashier's screen when they are checking out). The lady in front of me in the checkout today had 186k. How do people get so many points? Surely even a big family doing all their groceries at Save On for years does not spend 100k.
Not too difficult. Spend $5k in groceries a year for 20 years and assume you dont spend any of them is 100k right there. I used to work at Save-on during university. The key thing used to be to scan your card at the coupon machine before shopping. They would usually often have deals such as bonus 575 points when spending at least $35. They got rid of these a few years ago, but someone who would shop there regularily/weekly could easily gain points this way.

Plus if you live in the land of Pattison (BC), you're bound to buy something from him or someone partnered with him. Buying a car from him will give you a few thousand for sure.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222
Mar 14, 2006
22 posts
3 upvotes
Rishi wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 12:34 am

A few years ago they regularly (monthly?) had spend $200 get 10 000 points and buy 5 Kelloggs cereal and get like 7500 points. It was pretty easy to build up the points that way. With the other misc bonus points offers they had it wasn't too hard to get close to 20 000 points a month. I would guess there are still people that built up a lot of points that still haven't used them all (*raises hand*).
Jan 9, 2019
1 posts
This rewards program is the worst ever! I’ve been shopping there for years and all I have are 220 points? I scan my card every time. Plus you can only use points towards certain items not entire grocery purchase. Also travel is a joke too. We only shop there for small items, prices are a rip off how do they stay in business with false advertising? PC rewards are 1000 better, points add up quick and easy to use.