• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2017 7:14 pm
[OP]
Jul 19, 2007
300 posts
31 upvotes
Markham

More Weeds than grass, What to do?

My Backyard has grown more weeds than the grass itself and now I personally have given up on pulling them off as there are so many. Even if I pull some of them there are a few huge patches of carpet weeds which grow sideways and are taking over more grass areas. What options do I have I personally it has gone beyond the DIY project scope. Can the lawns be revived when there is a like a 50/50 grass/weeds ratio area wise. If I hire weedman will they be able to target weeds and I can reseed? Please advise this is the 3rd year with my new house so the quality of groundfill underneath is pretty bad filled with stones and brick pieces. Any expert advice please help? Thanks.
2353 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1419 posts
120 upvotes
Winnipeg
Use killex. Then add topsoil and reseed the areas after the weeds have died.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
44 upvotes
Blame Municipal and Ontario ban on pesticide. But yours is not only one. There are lots and will see same around any road and municipal properties.
get started working right now. Its tiring, frustrating but with no alternative.
There was a series on CTV and CBC about this few months back. Some sores still have this stuff to kill the weeds they said.

Dont know how good is this.
Green Earth Weed and Grass Killer RTU - 1 Litre
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2007
300 posts
31 upvotes
Markham
Thanks all for valuable tips. I have taken an appointment with Weedman to come and quote on the Weed removal treatment. I am hoping that they are able eliminate weeds more effectively than a newbie such as myself. I am holding off on reseeding until the weeds are controlled cause I feel there is no sense in seeding the land which is filled with weeds better to clear them first.
Has anyone had an experience with Weedman and their treatments and how effective they are? My land is about 20X10 in the front and 30X42 feet in the back. Also what would be an estimated cost of weedman service for weeds? Just want to get the feel as this will be my first quote ever so has no clue.
Thanks all.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3762 posts
508 upvotes
Richmond Hill
resan wrote:
May 11th, 2011 11:25 am
Thanks all for valuable tips. I have taken an appointment with Weedman to come and quote on the Weed removal treatment. I am hoping that they are able eliminate weeds more effectively than a newbie such as myself. I am holding off on reseeding until the weeds are controlled cause I feel there is no sense in seeding the land which is filled with weeds better to clear them first.
Has anyone had an experience with Weedman and their treatments and how effective they are? My land is about 20X10 in the front and 30X42 feet in the back. Also what would be an estimated cost of weedman service for weeds? Just want to get the feel as this will be my first quote ever so has no clue.
Thanks all.

:facepalm:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/careful-weedman-253023/
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
44 upvotes
Check this from CTV 6.00 news today.

Growing the greenest lawn

Tom Hayes investigates several tricks on how Toronto residents can grow a green lawn this spring.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12993 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto
champlinD wrote:
May 16th, 2011 7:32 pm

Tom Hayes investigates several tricks on how Toronto residents can grow a green lawn this spring.

Lawn envy what! I spend an inordinate amount of time, seeding, weeding, cutting. My neighbor's lawn compares to a city park. There are people out there who just don't care. My next strategy is to look after his lawn as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1813 posts
197 upvotes
Waterlooo
I remember once seeing an add on the internet about a weed killer that used something like a long drill bit with an 'agitator' at the bottom designed to dig in and rip up the root.

Its hard to mass kill weeds without pesticide. Weedman won't get rid of weeds anymore without pesticides - they will apply 'natural' stuff that could eventually kill the weeds, maybe.

I wait for dandelion season (now) and rip 'em up with a puller (cover the holes with dirt+grass seed) and spray the iron based weed killer on the stuff to that can't be pulled easily.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7327 posts
378 upvotes
resan wrote:
May 10th, 2011 3:22 pm
My Backyard has grown more weeds than the grass itself and now I personally have given up on pulling them off as there are so many. Even if I pull some of them there are a few huge patches of carpet weeds which grow sideways and are taking over more grass areas. What options do I have I personally it has gone beyond the DIY project scope. Can the lawns be revived when there is a like a 50/50 grass/weeds ratio area wise. If I hire weedman will they be able to target weeds and I can reseed? Please advise this is the 3rd year with my new house so the quality of groundfill underneath is pretty bad filled with stones and brick pieces. Any expert advice please help? Thanks.

Yes, same here. My backyard is not bad, but the huge front corner lawn is full of different kinds of weeds. It ruins the look of the landscaping. The grass itself is not strong and dense either. I remember I literally pulled out hundreds of weeds every time last year. I am giving up this year and will be meeting a lawn care company. But don't how much they will charge and whether they can make a difference. One of my neighbours use full lawn care services, but their lawn isn't a lot greener than mine.

Like I said the problem for me is front lawn. I think even I cleared all weeds from my front lawn, they will still be spreaded from neighbours' lawn again……. The backyard is enclosed, thus not many weeds at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1199 posts
89 upvotes
rdx wrote:
May 17th, 2011 1:54 pm
Like I said the problem for me is front lawn. I think even I cleared all weeds from my front lawn, they will still be spreaded from neighbours' lawn again……. The backyard is enclosed, thus not many weeds at all.

I don't know if this is helping or not but one thing I'm doing this year is when my neighbors let their dandelions grow, I rip off the yellow flowers as soon as I see them. That way they can't go to seed and spread... that's the theory anyway.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2006
1346 posts
274 upvotes
GTA
champlinD wrote:
May 16th, 2011 7:32 pm

Thanks champlinD. I unfortunately have the dandelion infested version of the lawn at the end of the report, but will follow their instructions.
Oct 1, 2008
387 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aliikram wrote:
May 18th, 2011 8:56 pm
Thanks champlinD. I unfortunately have the dandelion infested version of the lawn at the end of the report, but will follow their instructions.

Drive to Buffalo or Niagra Falls New York and purchase some weed killer there for your lawn and the problem will be solved. It is not illegal to purchase or bring it back here. It is against the law to use it on your lawn though.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1179 upvotes
Sauga
Today is a great time to pull weeds in the GTA. The ground is completely soaked with all the rain we've had, so the roots can come out pretty easily. I pulled a bunch of dandelion and thistle from my backyard last night and got plenty of roots that were almost a foot long. :confused: The more of the root you can get, the better. It can take a really long time on a big yard, though...depends on how much area you have.

And beyond that, the most important thing is to maintain healthy grass. So you'll need to aerate, re-seed, fertilize, water deeply but not too frequently, mow on a high setting, mow regularly, etc.