Home & Garden

More Weeds than grass, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 10:21 am
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4460 posts
185 upvotes
I'm no expert... but looks like a lot of thatch.
I'm going to take a guess that repairing this lawn will take:
- remove thatch
- aerate soil
- may need to apply lime
- then the usual seeding, adding soil, starter fertilizer, and ensuring it stays moist daily until germination.
Mar 29, 2011
954 posts
369 upvotes
The 6ix
I'm in the process of building a retaining wall. I want to use the current weed filled lawn as fill for the retaining wall. What can I do to prevent weeds from sprouting up?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6138 posts
1518 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vr_nguyen wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 1:11 am
I'm in the process of building a retaining wall. I want to use the current weed filled lawn as fill for the retaining wall. What can I do to prevent weeds from sprouting up?
How deep is the fill going to be below the surface? If it's 4 to 6 inches, you shouldn't have to do anything. After all, once you put a layer of course stones, sand, and then soil, there's not much that will be able to go through all of that. And if you really want to be sure, put a layer of landscaping cloth between it the surface.
Sep 11, 2006
892 posts
129 upvotes
I had a few bird feeders out last year and although the birds were happy and well fed, my lawn was completely decimated due to feeding them.
Can I aerate this and reseed? Or do I have to re-sod? What is involved in a total re-sod?
Images
  • IMG_1298.JPG
  • IMG_1299.JPG
  • IMG_1301.JPG
Apr 13, 2017
7 posts
2 upvotes
Hello RFD,

First time homeowner. Didnt water my lawn last year during peak summer. Half of my lawn has dead grass.

What are my options to fix this lawn?

Is installing fresh sod my only option?

Or Can I remove the dead grass, put fresh soil, seed and water it regularly?

Thank you !

Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6615 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Aerating and reseeding is the cheapest and least intensive option.
There is definitely room there for some good top soil to be raked in as well.
Try it first and see how it goes.
Seed to soil contact is key as well as lots of light watering throughout the day to keep the seeds moist.
Probably best to wait until the soil temperature is at least up to 7 degrees as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6138 posts
1518 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I don't see much of a point in aerating the soil at this point... there's not enough patches of grass to aerate without making a bigger mess.

I would do a bit of raking to loosen up the top part of the bare patches, put down lots of grass seeds, and then level the lawn with LOTS of top soil/sand mix.
Penalty Box
May 1, 2012
6372 posts
2715 upvotes
Markham
1. rake the crap out of that lawn until you see bare soil.
2. fertilize the soil with lawn fertilizer
3. let it rain a few times
4. overseed with sun/shade mix and put 1inch topsoil on EVERYTHING, even the parts you're not overseeding.
5. water everyday for 2 weeks
6. water every third day for 4 weeks
7. fertilze when you see strong shoots
8. enjoy your lawn
Mar 19, 2013
558 posts
154 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Reseed or resod, your decision. If you reseed, buy quality seed and topsoil. Your topsoil should be screened and sterilized. Weed free. Cheap soil tends to have weed seed in it, soon you are back to square one. You want the soil to be warm, provides a good germination environment. Double digits day and night. Scott's makes great products, I have been using their products for 33 years, sold everywhere. Anikiri has great advice.
Apr 13, 2017
7 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you Anikiri and Magoo61. Up vote buttons are disabled.

Edit: Can you please post links to the best soil and seed? There are lot of varieties out there, appreciate if you can let me know ideal ones for my case.
Feb 4, 2010
294 posts
72 upvotes
To lay down new sod - cheapest I've seen is is $.96/sqf - I believe that includes removing existing grass
Feb 9, 2013
794 posts
409 upvotes
Ottawa
Just seed heavily and cover with soil. No point in aerating that.
Sep 11, 2006
892 posts
129 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 2:51 pm
I had a few bird feeders out last year and although the birds were happy and well fed, my lawn was completely decimated due to feeding them.
Can I aerate this and reseed? Or do I have to re-sod? What is involved in a total re-sod?
Why did my post get moved to this thread when I don't have weeds?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7917 posts
723 upvotes
Anyone has recommended lawn service for aeration in north york?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Feb 4, 2010
294 posts
72 upvotes
Supposed to rain all day Wed & Thu so I'm thinking that I might put grass seed down tomorrow night as I've already prepped the area (removing thatch and weeds) and don't want to leave the area bare for too long for fear weeds will start sprouting again. Has anyone already overseeded? I know we're still in single digits but I figure once it warms up the grass will start sprouting (it's similar temp as in the fall).