• Nov 10th, 2017 12:58 pm
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3167 posts
370 upvotes
Torana
Jazmina wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 10:40 am
Supposed to rain all day Wed & Thu so I'm thinking that I might put grass seed down tomorrow night as I've already prepped the area (removing thatch and weeds) and don't want to leave the area bare for too long for fear weeds will start sprouting again. Has anyone already overseeded? I know we're still in single digits but I figure once it warms up the grass will start sprouting (it's similar temp as in the fall).
Depends where you are. If you're in the GTA then it's sort of on the fence whether too early or too late. For me, I'm going to wait a bit. Next week is supposed to get colder again with temps around 4-5 degrees. For me I can wait a little bit longer to have a higher chance/number of seeds germinating. I usually put down seed anyways before the snow falls.
Jun 11, 2010
291 posts
148 upvotes
ottawa
Aggy wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:19 am
Depends where you are. If you're in the GTA then it's sort of on the fence whether too early or too late. For me, I'm going to wait a bit. Next week is supposed to get colder again with temps around 4-5 degrees. For me I can wait a little bit longer to have a higher chance/number of seeds germinating. I usually put down seed anyways before the snow falls.
Jazmina wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 10:40 am
Supposed to rain all day Wed & Thu so I'm thinking that I might put grass seed down tomorrow night as I've already prepped the area (removing thatch and weeds) and don't want to leave the area bare for too long for fear weeds will start sprouting again. Has anyone already overseeded? I know we're still in single digits but I figure once it warms up the grass will start sprouting (it's similar temp as in the fall).
I agree on the waiting a little bit. Threw down some seed and soil in the backyard on Saturday, still no sprouting (maybe I'm just impatient). Leaving the front bare for a little longer before seeding, will see which works better!

Worst thing is my lawn was being overgrown with lawn moss which is driving me nuts so I wanted to till it and get grass seed down asap.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1188 posts
236 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Another indicator you can use: nature. When the dandelions close up their yellow heads, and start producing those puff balls of seeds, that is when conditions are favourable for seed germination.

Sure, ideally, you want your lawn to be thick before you start competing with the dandelion seeds, but that is impossible, unless sodding.
Mar 19, 2013
593 posts
165 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
barqers wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:06 am
I agree on the waiting a little bit. Threw down some seed and soil in the backyard on Saturday, still no sprouting (maybe I'm just impatient). Leaving the front bare for a little longer before seeding, will see which works better!

Worst thing is my lawn was being overgrown with lawn moss which is driving me nuts so I wanted to till it and get grass seed down asap.
With ideal conditions, double digit temperatures day and night, it can take 7 to 10 days to see results. Looking at your weather forecast the night temperatures are very cool. Grass seed needs warm soil for good germination rate. If you apply seed now and it rains, cool temperatures, the seed will rot. The key to successful grass seeding, weather, TLC and patience. Even if you had ideal conditions you will not see results in 3 or 4 days.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
barqers wrote:

it's possibly that you have acidic soil...need to fix that to avoid moss growth
also shade, compacted soil/poor drainage
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 7:26 pm
I don't see much of a point in aerating the soil at this point... there's not enough patches of grass to aerate without making a bigger mess.

I would do a bit of raking to loosen up the top part of the bare patches, put down lots of grass seeds, and then level the lawn with LOTS of top soil/sand mix.
level the lawn with top soil first....then put down the seed. you don't want to be burying the seed under an inch of soil.
if there isn't lots of leveling, won't hurt to level off with triple mix, and then overseed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 10:18 pm
To lay down new sod - cheapest I've seen is is $.96/sqf - I believe that includes removing existing grass
you could just rent a tiller to turn over the existing....then lay sod on top if you're too worried about the added height.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
octapuss wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 9:02 pm
I guess working on my lawn means I have seeded and seeded each spring but the grass never last year after year. I have nice black soil but my back yard is lined with white cedar trees to the left and a big manitoba maple to the right. I guess it is a sun shade mix. From noon to 6 it gets nice sun. Rest of the time it is dappled light. What seed am I using.....hmmm not really sure. Im buying the big blue bag of grass seed from Spielmans Garden Center up on Wilson St. It is there Sun Shade mix.

I have three kids that run around in the back yard so it gets used. I would say some of the soil becomes compacted. But still some of the grass should carry over year after year.

Any ideas?
i would probably stick with just full shade seeds.
as i was once told....shade seed will grow in shade...and sun
...just saying

are your seeds germinated correctly?
are you fertilizing 4/5 times per year?
i have 4 kids....still have grass..LOL

how are you watering? when it's extremely hot summer, the grass will go brown/dormant, but will spring back to life once it gets water

the cedars don't help....nor does the big maple..LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8292 posts
764 upvotes
Has anyone tried WOLLASTONITE for grub?

Bought a bag n gonna try out
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jun 11, 2010
291 posts
148 upvotes
ottawa
sienna owner wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:48 am
it's possibly that you have acidic soil...need to fix that to avoid moss growth
also shade, compacted soil/poor drainage
I agree, added some fertilizer last week, started tearing out the moss and tilling the lawn in those areas, then added seed and topsoil.
Feb 4, 2010
423 posts
108 upvotes
barqers wrote:

haha I'm the same impatient...itching to get started but I also agree it's best to wait. I also have moss growing in some places - I tried remove much of it. I also decided to wait until the fall to rent to overseeder from Home Depot to put a 2nd application
Apr 19, 2012
140 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
Half our lawn is full of weeds and the other half is without grss. I plan to put some soil down and overseed in the coming weeks. Are you able to tell from the pictures if anything else is needed? Or is my plan enough to get us started? It's a very large lot so I'd prefer not to dethatch/aerate if it's not necessary.

Nov 7, 2012
657 posts
231 upvotes
TORONTO
You're going to need a whole lot of topsoil and grass seeds.... like tons!
The area with grass patches could use some de-thatching though. Just so that the grass can be evened out.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
notsureofitiall wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:18 am
Half our lawn is full of weeds and the other half is without grss. I plan to put some soil down and overseed in the coming weeks. Are you able to tell from the pictures if anything else is needed? Or is my plan enough to get us started? It's a very large lot so I'd prefer not to dethatch/aerate if it's not necessary.
seems the soil is pretty compacted
put triple mix and overseed
but might be wise to aerated or even better...rent a tiller and start new (cause to me, it looks like you have more weeds & clover than grass itself)

basically..till/turn over the soil, flatten the area, triple mix & overseed...going to be a long process either way
Feb 4, 2010
423 posts
108 upvotes
notsureofitiall wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:18 am
Just make sure the seed makes contact with the soil - if it doesn't you'll be wasting your time. You have a lot of bare spots so you wouldn't need to top soil there but make sure you till the ground first. Also use fertilizer for new new growth which you can throw on the same time - be sure to get the right one. IF you have a large areas that need top soil that might get costly as in the case with me - so I'm actually renting a overseeder from Home Depot which will put slits in the ground while throwing down the seed so it makes contact with the soil without having to apply top soil - not doing that until the fall though as I don't want to spread weed seed while the weeds are germinating.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)