More Weeds than grass, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2017 6:23 pm
Feb 13, 2017
293 posts
241 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:33 pm
If you're using that fertilizer blend I was told to wait 5-6 before planting grass seed. You could get starter fertilizer and throw that down at the same time (which is what I'm going to do). As for top soil vs top dressing - it's pretty much the same thing, just a different name. It's better to get one with more nutrient (e.g. has some compost) but it's also more expensive so if it's a large area I personally wouldn't bother unless you're OK with spending a lot on it. Rona had a sale for 50L humus mix for $2.99 (regular $5.99).

Also, from everything I read/heard the best time to overseed is September - if you can wait, I'd do it then. I need to put 2 applications this year which is why I'm doing it in the spring and then again in the fall, otherwise I would just do it once in Sep

It does matter - you have to use the right fertilizer depending on when you choose to fertilize. The one you're planning to use - you should do it either several weeks before or after putting grass seed, otherwise use starter fertilizer ...again just going based on what several "experts" have told me.
Is the 50L humas at Rona for $2.99 a good one? I dont want weeds to occur.
Feb 4, 2010
67 posts
9 upvotes
Kwando wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:21 pm
Fertilize a few days after seeding or when you see new sprouts. There will be nothing to fertilize if you don't have your seeds sprouting.
That is incorrect. You're fertilizing the soil so it has nutrients for the grass.
Feb 4, 2010
67 posts
9 upvotes
crocp8 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:36 pm
Is the 50L humas at Rona for $2.99 a good one? I dont want weeds to occur.
Weeds will occur regardless, all you can do is minimize it, which is why it's also best to overseed in Sep because right now weed seed is germinating so when you rake/aerate/etc you're spreading weed seed around - by overseeding the grass can choke out the weeds. That's why I want to overseed the bare patches asap before weeds take over. As for the quality of the Rona soil- I can't say but given that amount I need, I personally don't want to spend double or triple the price. Them saying "humus" might be a marketing gimmick for all I know.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7610 posts
683 upvotes
rule of thumbs is you fertilizer your lawn every 6 to 8 weeks

if u r in Toronto..just go to Fairgreen and they have a nice little cards with instruction...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Apr 23, 2009
635 posts
68 upvotes
Okay, this may be too late if you have already over seeded. But to answer your question on home depot slit seeder - IT IS THE ABSOLUTELY BEST THING YOU CAN FIND. I used to over seed following all the steps (aerate, dethatch, rake, top soil, seeds, and then rake). It was getting too frustrating and expensive. Top soil is too expensive and the traditional approach going through all steps is labor intensive, expensive and time consuming. Not for me!!!!!

So, for the last 3-4 years, I have been using slit seeder. Its extremely cost effective. I rent it from home depot for $60-70 buck around September. I use slit seeder every other year.

My total cost involves:

Slit-seeder $70 (approx.)
Starter Fertilizer $20
2 bags of grass seeds from Costco $50 (you can use 1 bag but I splurge Winking Face)

I DO NOT aerate, dethatch, top soil, rake etc.......

I just mow the lawn short and run the slit-seeder over it 3-4 times with high seeding rate. That's all!

How effective is it, you may ask?

see the pictures below (4 weeks after over seeding last fall)

Jazmina wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 12:44 pm

I have about 3500SQF to overseed, which makes it too costly to apply top soil so I'm planning on renting a slit seeder from Home Depot this time. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Feb 13, 2017
293 posts
241 upvotes
ruchir wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 3:01 pm
Okay, this may be too late if you have already over seeded. But to answer your question on home depot slit seeder - IT IS THE ABSOLUTELY BEST THING YOU CAN FIND. I used to over seed following all the steps (aerate, dethatch, rake, top soil, seeds, and then rake). It was getting too frustrating and expensive. Top soil is too expensive and the traditional approach going through all steps is labor intensive, expensive and time consuming. Not for me!!!!!

So, for the last 3-4 years, I have been using slit seeder. Its extremely cost effective. I rent it from home depot for $60-70 buck around September. I use slit seeder every other year.

My total cost involves:

Starter Fertilizer $20
2 bags of grass seeds from Costco $50 (you can use 1 bag but I splurge Winking Face)

I just mow the lawn short and run the slit-seeder over it 3-4 times with high seeding rate. That's all!

#grassgoals

Amazing.
Apr 23, 2009
635 posts
68 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 3:38 pm
its not too soon. This is the perfect time to overseed. The most important thing is not fresh grass seeds, but 1inch of topsoil.

Also make sure you fertilized before you overseeded by about 2-3 days and a good rainfall.
I think that's too much of soil for most lawn unless your lawn has poor quality of soil or is uneven. If you do top soil every year, 1 inch each time can change the grade of your lawn over time. Most people put too much top soil anyway which causes a lot of issues. If not spread properly, can cause uneven spots. Compost is a better alternative as it will not affect the grade and it decomposes so no issues if not spread evenly. If using soil, you just need enough to cover the seed, most often 1/4 inch will just do fine. Some lawns that have not been maintained do need 1 inch, however.
Apr 23, 2009
635 posts
68 upvotes
crocp8 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 3:08 pm
#grassgoals

Amazing.
I did nothing - THE SLIT-SEEDER DID IT.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7610 posts
683 upvotes
ruchir wrote:

My total cost involves:

Starter Fertilizer $20

great! i am gonna try your method this coming Sep
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
7610 posts
683 upvotes
after i google slit-seeder...i used that when i redo my lawn..i thought that is only good for bare lawn? will it destroy your existing grass?

by the way, the machine is huge and cant fit into my car
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Feb 4, 2010
67 posts
9 upvotes
Yah!! Finally someone who's used an overseeder. Nobody I spoke to at Rona or HD even knew what I was talking about. Your lawn looks great and I'm happy to hear you had such great success. I wonder why more people don't do this - seems so much cheaper and easier. Can't wait to do it in the fall!

I bought 25KG grass seed on sale - I need 10KG for 1 application for my entire lawn. I was going to do 2 applications this year because of the shape it's in, but now seeing your lawn I think I should do 1 application in the fall but I have to too many bare spots and the weeds are going to take over and teh front lawn is pretty bad so maybe I should stick with my plan of 2 applications this year, 2nd one using an overseeder.
ruchir wrote:

My total cost involves:

Starter Fertilizer $20

Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
4886 posts
736 upvotes
GTA
ruchir wrote:

My total cost involves:

Starter Fertilizer $20

WOW.

count me in to do this... the slit seeder, do they have one type? many types? any other hints/suggestions... that grass looks amazing.

I just got tons of top soil and seed and ready to do the soil seeding but what you have is what i should be aiming for and i will give this a go in september if my overseeding fails.

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11

Toilet Paper Calculations Thread
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1550 posts
84 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 3:26 pm
after i google slit-seeder...i used that when i redo my lawn..i thought that is only good for bare lawn? will it destroy your existing grass?

by the way, the machine is huge and cant fit into my car
Wondering about existing grass as well
Feb 4, 2010
67 posts
9 upvotes
No it doesn't destroy existing grass - it just puts small slits in the soil and throws the seed into the slit so there's soil to seed contact - there's some YouTube videos on it (also called slice seeder)

Deal Addict
May 17, 2006
4886 posts
736 upvotes
GTA
I feel like why is this not in the forefront of lawn maintenance. This cuts down lawn maintenance by atleast 70-80%. I will reserve jusgement for my application but from photos aboveby ruchir, i think this is magical.

We Shall Never Forget 7/08 '14
We Shall Never Forget 8/19 '11

Toilet Paper Calculations Thread
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel