More Weeds than grass, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2018 10:52 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4947 posts
850 upvotes
Peterborough
Neglected the lawn last year during the drought. Big mistake as now 60% or more is dead.

Started doing some raking today and found white grubs. Hundreds of them. My theory is the crane flies got to the soil last year layed the eggs for these demon spawn and now they are jawing down on the grass killing it worse than the drought. Never had the grubs before as we always had a decent and lush lawn.

Plan is to till the really bad spots, level, slit seed or broadcast spread, roll, water and wait.

Questions - what do I do about the grubs? Is rolling a must? Do I roll before or after putting the seed down?

Going to try replanting this year and if it doesnt go well - probably call it a loss and till/sod next year.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3934 posts
16504 upvotes
TORONTO
ambujakshi wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 9:26 pm
I've removed dead grass. All that is remaining is soil bed. Do I need to put new soil before using the seeder ?
Should work without new topsoil.
Mar 19, 2013
663 posts
190 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
ambujakshi wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 3:19 pm
Does this seeder work for bare lawns? My lawn is completely dead (loose dried grass).

I was thinking of putting new soil and seed.
I think anytime you have a good opportunity to boost the quality of your soil, do it. It appears you have one.
Apr 22, 2017
4 posts
ruchir wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:07 pm
It will not destroy your existing grass. Believe it or not, you have to keep the cutting blade at the highest setting. Seems counterintuitive but keeping it at the highest will make sure it doesn't damage your grass.

It barely cuts the surface at the depth of 2-3 mm. That's what you want. Very shallow slits are the most effective way of doing it. Keeping it shallow helps in three ways:

1) Keeps the machine moving smoothly as shallow cuts offer the least amount of resistance
2) Doesn't tear your existing grass
3) Doesn't bury the seed too deep to help germination (ideal seed depth is 2 mm) - if too deep, it won't germinate.

No way it will fit in your car. You need a van. Rent one from Home Depot - that's extra $40 (two-trips). That will also likely eat up your time so 4 hour rental won't be sufficient. You will need 1 day rental.

I always rent after 4 pm on a day before labor day so I get to keep it for the entire labor day for $60 (4 hour rent). HD is closed in labor day. Works out great!
Great advice, thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1231 posts
329 upvotes
yes, handles can be folded.
anon_s wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 3:03 am
From the US HomeDepot channel but is this the one you use?

It's handle can't be folded like the other power tools in that video?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1231 posts
329 upvotes
You have to call around to find out which stores carry them. Not all HD locations have them. The guy at HD told me there isn't much demand.
wrigley wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 1:53 pm
Did you rent in the GTA? I went to two HD and they had no idea what it was?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1231 posts
329 upvotes
fertilizer goes afterwards. I used rotary spreader for fertilizer.
habsfan9 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 3:24 pm
Man, it looks amazing!

1 question: I noticed you said fertilizer and seed. Do you mix the seed & fertizlizer and overseed as 1 mixture?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1231 posts
329 upvotes
If you have a bare lawn and plan to add soil, don't waste your money on over seeder. You need to bury the seed. If you are adding soil, just rake in lightly. Save your money. The seeds are not to be buried too deep - only 1-2 mm. Raking will be fine.

Use over seeder only if you have existing lawn and you are not adding soil.
Magoo61 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 8:34 am
I think anytime you have a good opportunity to boost the quality of your soil, do it. It appears you have one.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
3934 posts
16504 upvotes
TORONTO
ruchir wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 4:09 pm
You have to call around to find out which stores carry them. Not all HD locations have them. The guy at HD told me there isn't much demand.
This is correct.

After inquiring at a few locations, seems like when they were being stale (not being rented), HD just sold them off. Only a select few HD locations carry the overseeder.
Apr 13, 2017
15 posts
2 upvotes
ambujakshi wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 10:53 am
Is scotts lawn soil good? Seems to have mixed reviews.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scott ... p.html#srp

Any other alternatives?
I used this soil (Scotts enriched soil) just last week. It has a lot of small twigs / wood chips / mulch. I dont know if this wood matter is supposed to be there / not.

Anyone can vouch for the success of using this soil?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1546 posts
598 upvotes
Alliston, ON
ruchir wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 4:09 pm
Try calling different independent rental places, most of them will have the machine. Both rental places near me have it for the same price, if not cheaper than HD
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9408 posts
950 upvotes
schade wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 8:57 pm
Try calling different independent rental places, most of them will have the machine. Both rental places near me have it for the same price, if not cheaper than HD
mind to name some of those independent places?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)