Home & Garden

More Weeds than grass, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 7:37 pm
May 3, 2010
165 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
I've stopped using the weed puller-ripper because of the inevitable craters. Now I simply get down with an Olfa cutter and hand cut the dandelions & plantains. I know it leaves the deeper root, but there really is no getting around the fact that weeding is a continual, but periodic, process...!
Take care,
Kam.

"Life in the Fast Lane is a short ride." #KamQuotes
Mar 19, 2013
667 posts
194 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
octapuss wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:52 pm
Question: As the new grass peaks through the topsoil I will wait and watch it grow.

What do you do with the excess top soil?

Do you gently rake it around the lawn? Leave it in a big patch?

I had to repair many parts of my lawn. The baby grass is coming but the top soil is sitting there too. I though it would blend in with the other soil eventually.
Just let it be, it will eventually settle into your new grass. Raking will disturb your new seedlings and you will wish you hadn't raked the soil.
Mar 19, 2013
667 posts
194 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Rockabilly wrote:
May 18th, 2017 2:00 pm
I am almost giving up having a nice lawn. Unless this can really help.
https://www.lowes.ca/grass-seed/scotts- ... 06062.html
Has anyone tried that?
Scott's 911 is new to the market. I bought some, have had a chance to try it. Scott's makes great products. Try a small manageable area and see what happens.

Have a great summer.
Dec 23, 2007
334 posts
3 upvotes
akswun wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:38 am
Just leave it alone. Your grass will grow tall and strong and eventually you wont see anything. No need to rustle up the new grass by raking it again. You might even harm the new grass. The rain and wind will eventually help it sink lower.

The key thing to grass maintenance is patience.
Thank you for the reply.

This is my fourth try (four springs) to make this happen. Patience is a virtue.

I peaked inside of one of the clumps of soil and there was the grass. So its growing..

I think my real problem is compact soil. With three kids running around, playing sports the grass take a beating.

I"ll try to post pictures for more feed back.

cheers.
Nov 7, 2012
804 posts
304 upvotes
TORONTO
Kameo wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:47 am
I've stopped using the weed puller-ripper because of the inevitable craters. Now I simply get down with an Olfa cutter and hand cut the dandelions & plantains. I know it leaves the deeper root, but there really is no getting around the fact that weeding is a continual, but periodic, process...!
I've ditched the crater style weeding tools (fiskers) and love this dandelion tool : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-Forged- ... /204476253
It's actually cheaper than most. And after you get the hang of it you'll be dandelion free in no time. This gets down to the roots and doesn't leave massive craters. Between this and overseeding, I haven't had the need to buy 2-4d WeedbGone.
Nov 17, 2014
537 posts
201 upvotes
Ontario
How do people feel on the whole dandelions are good for the environment thing? Is it really worth the effort and money to maintain a lush lawn considering you're actually doing harm? I'm asking myself that question also.
Oct 20, 2011
926 posts
294 upvotes
Mississauga
akswun wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:37 am
I've ditched the crater style weeding tools (fiskers) and love this dandelion tool : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-Forged- ... /204476253
It's actually cheaper than most. And after you get the hang of it you'll be dandelion free in no time. This gets down to the roots and doesn't leave massive craters. Between this and overseeding, I haven't had the need to buy 2-4d WeedbGone.
I actually did the opposite, I found that in order to get down to the roots, the handle bent too much to the point it broke. I returned it and got another one and this time I wasn't able to dig down deep enough since it would also break so it grew back quickly. I ended up getting the fiskers. Albeit it does leave you with a crater, but no different then when I have the lawn aerated and it quickly get s covered with grass.
Feb 4, 2010
988 posts
336 upvotes
Copper1212 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:46 am
How do people feel on the whole dandelions are good for the environment thing? Is it really worth the effort and money to maintain a lush lawn considering you're actually doing harm? I'm asking myself that question also.
I remove them by hand so I'm not using harmful chemicals to eliminate them which does harm to the environment and in particular bees. I also have a lot of flowers that attract bees/pollination. My lawn is anything but lush. I look at weed removal more as exercise - better than being inside watching TV or on the computer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9721 posts
1023 upvotes
after having my nice lawn, i stop using chemical. i do get dandelion once in a while but i just use the long screw driver to dig or screw it out..LOL
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Apr 15, 2009
233 posts
22 upvotes
Magoo61 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:35 pm
Scott's 911 is new to the market. I bought some, have had a chance to try it. Scott's makes great products. Try a small manageable area and see what happens.

Have a great summer.
Have you already seen good results yet?
Do I need to add topsoil over the seed, or is it just applying as is and watering?
Feb 4, 2010
988 posts
336 upvotes
Rockabilly wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:21 am
Have you already seen good results yet?
Do I need to add topsoil over the seed, or is it just applying as is and watering?
Unless the seed you buy mixes in soil (which some do) in you always need soil to seed contact or it will not germinate - most likely birds will eat it up.
Nov 17, 2014
537 posts
201 upvotes
Ontario
kiasu wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:14 am
after having my nice lawn, i stop using chemical. i do get dandelion once in a while but i just use the long screw driver to dig or screw it out..LOL
It's not even just the chemicals though really. Bees depend on dandelions for early season survival.

It's a shame dandelions get the nasty tubular things when they seed because they're quite nice with just the yellow flower.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9721 posts
1023 upvotes
Copper1212 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:39 am
It's not even just the chemicals though really. Bees depend on dandelions for early season survival.

It's a shame dandelions get the nasty tubular things when they seed because they're quite nice with just the yellow flower.
no worry..the park has a lot...LOL
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Aug 29, 2001
333 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
akswun wrote:
May 19th, 2017 8:37 am
do they sell that tool for that price range anywhere in canada?