Home & Garden

More Weeds than grass, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 11:04 am
May 3, 2010
165 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Resistance is futile...get down on yer knees...and weed! Dig/cut and pull, and overseed.
Take care,
Kam.

"Life in the Fast Lane is a short ride." #KamQuotes
Apr 19, 2012
208 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
HELP! I'm losing the battle.

Can someone please give me some directions on how I can fight this? The picture doesn't even capture the whole area...

Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7711 posts
183 upvotes
notsureofitiall wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 10:57 am

Can someone please give me some directions on how I can fight this? The picture doesn't even capture the whole area...

Kameo wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 2:15 pm
Resistance is futile...get down on yer knees...and weed! Dig/cut and pull, and overseed.
some ppl like clover...cause it's better than dandelions

clover is harder to manually pull since their roots spread like crazy
need to follow one to the ground and pull the root out..you'll see there will be a whole bunch of lines running from the 1 root.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1910 posts
132 upvotes
Guelph
I have large concrete slabs in the backyard with 3/4" gaps, as you can imagine, filled with grass, weeds, etc....will something like roundup annihilate everything in between or is there a better, faster alternative? I know the suggestion will be to fill afterwards with poly metric, but the slabs are so out of whack it seems like such a waste considering the cost of the stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7711 posts
183 upvotes
dtm252535 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 11:11 am
I have large concrete slabs in the backyard with 3/4" gaps, as you can imagine, filled with grass, weeds, etc....will something like roundup annihilate everything in between or is there a better, faster alternative? I know the suggestion will be to fill afterwards with poly metric, but the slabs are so out of whack it seems like such a waste considering the cost of the stuff.
yes...roundup will kill all vegetation
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4823 posts
2651 upvotes
notsureofitiall wrote:

Overseed, and spray lots of weed b gone. Repeat every couple of weeks until it's gone. They have a waxy coating so it take a lot of the spray. I'm talking about the ecosense stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7711 posts
183 upvotes
fdl wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 11:20 am
Overseed, and spray lots of weed b gone. Repeat every couple of weeks until it's gone. They have a waxy coating so it take a lot of the spray. I'm talking about the ecosense stuff.
the "non" ecosense would only need 1 application..LOL
Mar 16, 2008
198 posts
28 upvotes
GTA
As clover roots shoot out far and wide, use a bow rake to separate out the tangle and manually remove some of the clovers. Then spray the ecosense or the good "non" ecosense stuff over the affected area. If using a pump sprayer with the concentrate of weed killer then add a bit of surfactant (dish soap or baby shampoo) to the mixture so it sticks to the weeds.
May 3, 2010
165 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
I go after the big, nasty weeds and leave the little guys alone. Clovers actually help crowd out dandelions!
Take care,
Kam.

Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5423 posts
1188 upvotes
Montreal
I have what I believe to be creeping jenny taking over a few large areas of my lawn. I usually just mow it down when I mow the rest of my lawn but it really seems to be choking out everything else. How can I get rid of it?
May 28, 2012
9871 posts
2055 upvotes
Saskatoon
notsureofitiall wrote:

Clover is a nitrogen fixer, so your lawn is most likely low on nitrogen. Lawn fertilizer is almost all nitrogen.
Penalty Box
Nov 21, 2009
1979 posts
369 upvotes
Weed B Gon doesn't kill clover I believe.

You definitely need some Killex
May 3, 2010
165 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
I tried Scott's EcoSense Weed-B-Gone, for 2 years, and concluded that it is a waste of time & money. As Dumpf used to say, "Think Big (Killex), or go home." I chose the latter...!
Take care,
Kam.

May 3, 2010
165 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
I <ahem> went home... No, I don't believe in surreptitiously using the banned herbicides (weedicide?) Cut/pull out the dandelions, plantains, thistles (!), and don't stress over the clovers and other miscellaneous plants that's not grass...! A weed by any other name grows just as green.
Take care,
Kam.