• Nov 10th, 2017 12:58 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6494 posts
1685 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kiasu wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:17 pm
I have this issue for the past 5 years....I did my reseeding every fall and spring...my lawn was lush and beautiful in April up until June, then all of a sudden a bunch of dead brown grass started appearing . I read about some said is grub or insect...is there permanment fix to this?

I thought of pay $ to those lawn care to fix but I want the solution and don't want to pay them every July and August..

this is the last freaking issue I need to fix before I have perfect lawn for the whole spring to summer without brown patch..

any suggestion or recommendation?
Probably grubs. Your window is closing quickly to address it this year and if you don't address it soon, you can expect crows, raccoons and skunks to start digging up your lawn looking for those grubs. The most effective way to deal with them is a product that you can't get in Canada - GrubEx. Otherwise, you can try nematodes but they are only approx 50% effective AND they need to be applied NOW.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8335 posts
778 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:13 am
Probably grubs. Your window is closing quickly to address it this year and if you don't address it soon, you can expect crows, raccoons and skunks to start digging up your lawn looking for those grubs. The most effective way to deal with them is a product that you can't get in Canada - GrubEx. Otherwise, you can try nematodes but they are only approx 50% effective AND they need to be applied NOW.
Actually i did apply grubex in end of April

The bag said will last for 4 months
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3171 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
diatomaceous earth also works fairly well on grubs - although nowhere near as quickly as grubex. DE can be spread on top of your lawn and water it down into the soil. Best if you core aerate first and/or apply a top dressing. Some mix the DE with sand or soap powder. The key for guarding against grubs is to maintain a healthy lawn - poor soil and weeds are their playground.
Feb 8, 2017
247 posts
93 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:48 am
diatomaceous earth also works fairly well on grubs - although nowhere near as quickly as grubex. DE can be spread on top of your lawn and water it down into the soil. Best if you core aerate first and/or apply a top dressing. Some mix the DE with sand or soap powder. The key for guarding against grubs is to maintain a healthy lawn - poor soil and weeds are their playground.
i've found that your lawn can be in good shape but if all your neighbours have weeds/grubs etc then you are fighting a losing battle. it's a big commitment to keep up a lawn these days, especially since you can't buy stuff that kills things anymore. :) i'm testing out milky spore on grubs. this is the first year i've used it and apparently you need to seasons of treatment before it starts working. we'll see how it goes....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6494 posts
1685 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kiasu wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:27 am
Actually i did apply grubex in end of April

The bag said will last for 4 months
GrubEx only works for grubs at a certain stage (when they are in the larvae stage) which typically happens during the Summer months when the adults come out and lay their ages. In Spring as they are almost full size adults, almost NOTHING kills them off so putting GrubEx down then is just a waste of GrubEx until the larvae comes around again about this time of the year. In other words, you should apply another round now so you won't have another round of issues next year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8335 posts
778 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:44 pm
GrubEx only works for grubs at a certain stage (when they are in the larvae stage) which typically happens during the Summer months when the adults come out and lay their ages. In Spring as they are almost full size adults, almost NOTHING kills them off so putting GrubEx down then is just a waste of GrubEx until the larvae comes around again about this time of the year. In other words, you should apply another round now so you won't have another round of issues next year.
I have this issue every year and I am trying to find out where is the problem....

I did put another layer of soil each time..could it be those top soil I bought already comes with grub or larvae in there?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6494 posts
1685 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kiasu wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 6:39 pm
I have this issue every year and I am trying to find out where is the problem....

I did put another layer of soil each time..could it be those top soil I bought already comes with grub or larvae in there?
If your topsoil has grubs, you'll definitely see them when you put down that layer of soil as the larvae are really white so they will stand out against the topsoil.

Chances are you are putting the pesticide on at the wrong time or incorrectly. Each of the pesticides that work on grubs only work for a particular stage of grub development - ie. nematodes ONLY work on larvae stage grubs and the soil needs to be very moist before the nematodes are applied as well as after so that they can move through the soil. GrubEx works only on larvae stage as well so both need to be applied at or near when the grubs are larvae.

BTW> each part of the country has a different sweet spot on when to apply what pesticide for grubs depending on the stage of development they are at. Here in BC it's the beginning of August... in other parts it might be sometime in July. Find out when they lay their eggs and that's about when you should applying GrubEx.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8335 posts
778 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:58 pm
If your topsoil has grubs, you'll definitely see them when you put down that layer of soil as the larvae are really white so they will stand out against the topsoil.

Chances are you are putting the pesticide on at the wrong time or incorrectly. Each of the pesticides that work on grubs only work for a particular stage of grub development - ie. nematodes ONLY work on larvae stage grubs and the soil needs to be very moist before the nematodes are applied as well as after so that they can move through the soil. GrubEx works only on larvae stage as well so both need to be applied at or near when the grubs are larvae.

BTW> each part of the country has a different sweet spot on when to apply what pesticide for grubs depending on the stage of development they are at. Here in BC it's the beginning of August... in other parts it might be sometime in July. Find out when they lay their eggs and that's about when you should applying GrubEx.
ok...is it too late if i apply grubex now?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Feb 8, 2017
247 posts
93 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:06 pm
ok...is it too late if i apply grubex now?
you can also look at using bayer grub killer plus. it's label says to apply during summer (July through September) when grubs are feeding. might be a more appropriate product for this time of year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8335 posts
778 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:42 am
you can also look at using bayer grub killer plus. it's label says to apply during summer (July through September) when grubs are feeding. might be a more appropriate product for this time of year.
damn..don't have that...not going to US anytime soon...guess I will reseed in coming Sep as usual...

I checked on google yesterday and apprantly best time to apply grubex is around Memorial day in US which is around Victoria day here...like end of May..
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Sep 16, 2014
47 posts
4 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Hello Pals

I am unable to handle the weed in my lawn and backyard . now my backyard is almost covered with weed(broad leaf weed)and My grass has also dried in some areas.
I am now thinking to hire the weed control guys and proceed with them . Any recommendations or precautions ?
Its almost end of summer and the weather is getting colder , should i wait for this winter and start hiring them from next early season ?

Thanks in Advance
May 23, 2007
331 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
Sounds like chinch bugs.
kiasu wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:17 pm
I have this issue for the past 5 years....I did my reseeding every fall and spring...my lawn was lush and beautiful in April up until June, then all of a sudden a bunch of dead brown grass started appearing . I read about some said is grub or insect...is there permanment fix to this?

I thought of pay $ to those lawn care to fix but I want the solution and don't want to pay them every July and August..

this is the last freaking issue I need to fix before I have perfect lawn for the whole spring to summer without brown patch..

any suggestion or recommendation?
Mar 19, 2013
595 posts
165 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
akilf1 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 5:23 pm
Hello Pals

I am unable to handle the weed in my lawn and backyard . now my backyard is almost covered with weed(broad leaf weed)and My grass has also dried in some areas.
I am now thinking to hire the weed control guys and proceed with them . Any recommendations or precautions ?
Its almost end of summer and the weather is getting colder , should i wait for this winter and start hiring them from next early season ?

Thanks in Advance
I recommend controlling the weeds now. Had a look at Edmonton's 7 day weather forecast, great for getting rid of your weeds. They will drop seeds, next year they will be back in bigger numbers. Here is a suggestion, buy some Killex concentrate, Scott's Dial N Spray hose end sprayer. Follow the directions. Use setting 6 on the sprayer. Canadian Tire sells both. Easy DIY project. Cheaper than using a weed control company. I have used Killex on broadleaf weeds for 33 years, excellent results. Apply when no rain is expected in 24 hours. It may take 7 to 10 days to see results. Good luck, enjoy the end of summer.
Sep 9, 2008
442 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
Magoo61 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 9:45 am
I recommend controlling the weeds now. Had a look at Edmonton's 7 day weather forecast, great for getting rid of your weeds. They will drop seeds, next year they will be back in bigger numbers. Here is a suggestion, buy some Killex concentrate, Scott's Dial N Spray hose end sprayer. Follow the directions. Use setting 6 on the sprayer. Canadian Tire sells both. Easy DIY project. Cheaper than using a weed control company. I have used Killex on broadleaf weeds for 33 years, excellent results. Apply when no rain is expected in 24 hours. It may take 7 to 10 days to see results. Good luck, enjoy the end of summer.
Looks like Killex is not available in Ontario
Feb 4, 2010
429 posts
110 upvotes
I'm planning to rent an overseeder in a couple of weeks. I have a few weeds (mostly tree seedlings). Is advisable to remove these first before overseeding? I have been pretty diligent in removing the weeds since the spring but it's a never ending job and there aren't that many so hoping I can skip it.

Also should I apply fertilizer when I overseed or later in the fall? Any advice on what fertilizer ratio to use?