More Weeds than grass, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 12:58 pm
Feb 8, 2017
245 posts
93 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 5:02 pm
I'm planning to rent an overseeder in a couple of weeks. I have a few weeds (mostly tree seedlings). Is advisable to remove these first before overseeding? I have been pretty diligent in removing the weeds since the spring but it's a never ending job and there aren't that many so hoping I can skip it.

Also should I apply fertilizer when I overseed or later in the fall? Any advice on what fertilizer ratio to use?
i think you'll find on the grass seed bag that you shouldn't fertilize until you've mowed the new grass 2 or 3 times. i would pull weeds, prep surface, and oversees now then fert in 6 weeks
Feb 4, 2010
427 posts
110 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 9:31 am
i think you'll find on the grass seed bag that you shouldn't fertilize until you've mowed the new grass 2 or 3 times. i would pull weeds, prep surface, and oversees now then fert in 6 weeks
Interesting, I've never heard or read that before. I use TSC grass seed and there's not instructions on it, but I have fertilized each time and my lawn is looking decent (compared to before) but it's still thin. Apparently it's best to fertilize twice in the fall - early and late fall.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8314 posts
775 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 10:19 am
Interesting, I've never heard or read that before. I use TSC grass seed and there's not instructions on it, but I have fertilized each time and my lawn is looking decent (compared to before) but it's still thin. Apparently it's best to fertilize twice in the fall - early and late fall.
From March to Nov i fertilize every 6 to 8 months
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Mar 19, 2013
595 posts
165 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 25th, 2017 5:02 pm
I'm planning to rent an overseeder in a couple of weeks. I have a few weeds (mostly tree seedlings). Is advisable to remove these first before overseeding? I have been pretty diligent in removing the weeds since the spring but it's a never ending job and there aren't that many so hoping I can skip it.

Also should I apply fertilizer when I overseed or later in the fall? Any advice on what fertilizer ratio to use?
I would recommend getting rid of the weeds/seedlings. I would apply a starter fertilizer, I use Scott's starter fertilizer. It is high in phosphorus & potassium, promotes root growth. Follow the application directions.
Feb 4, 2010
427 posts
110 upvotes
Magoo61 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 9:01 am
I would recommend getting rid of the weeds/seedlings. I would apply a starter fertilizer, I use Scott's starter fertilizer. It is high in phosphorus & potassium, promotes root growth. Follow the application directions.
Thank you. Also, I was wondering the small patch of grass on the boulevard is all weeds. Just wondering how to approach this - should I tear everything out (only dirt would remain since it's all weeds) and then seed?
Apr 6, 2015
69 posts
42 upvotes
SW Ontario
How to go about fixing this grass ,have grass seed and got some bags of top soil .
Should I dethatch ,aerate - what steps and when to overseed ..? TX
Feb 8, 2017
245 posts
93 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 10:19 am
i meant weed and feed. normal fertilizer is ok.
Mar 19, 2013
595 posts
165 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 3:25 pm
Thank you. Also, I was wondering the small patch of grass on the boulevard is all weeds. Just wondering how to approach this - should I tear everything out (only dirt would remain since it's all weeds) and then seed?
The first thing is the weeds. They have to go. I live in Sask. have easy access to herbicides, I would use Round-Up. Basically kills anything green. The anti-herbicide people will pull the weeds out by hand. Good luck, if you do not entire root, they will come back. Round-Up will take 7 to 10 days to kill the weeds Done with the weeds, small area give it a hard rake, loosen up the soil, aerate the soil. Any tool that will pierce the soil will work, a kitchen fork will do the job. Now the bed is prepared. Add some topsoil & triple mix products. Purchase good top soil, sterilized & preferably screened. Sterilized means the soil has been cooked to kill weed seeds. I mix my seed in the topsoil & triple mix, give it light tamping, rake lightly, grooves to hold water. Water twice a day, moist only. Apply a starter fertilizer. Easy DIY project. Warning be patient. You will give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

I use Scott's products for 33 years, never failed me.

Enjoy the remainder of summer.
May 31, 2017
19 posts
2 upvotes
How long should it take from putting the seed down to having grass growing?
Mar 19, 2013
595 posts
165 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
breads wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 11:51 pm
How long should it take from putting the seed down to having grass growing?
5 to 10 days.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1724 posts
83 upvotes
^ only if its rye grass. Kentucky Blue Grass takes 15-20 days to germinate
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8314 posts
775 upvotes
sumrandomguy wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:10 pm
^ only if its rye grass. Kentucky Blue Grass takes 15-20 days to germinate
where can we get Kentucky Blue Grass seed? is it better than rye grass?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Feb 4, 2010
427 posts
110 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:29 pm
where can we get Kentucky Blue Grass seed? is it better than rye grass?
best to get a mix of KBG, fescue and perennial rye for Ontario conditions as they all have different characteristics to compensate for the limitations of the others (e.g. germination period. clumping). I've had good success with the the TSC brand I believe it's 40-30-30% in terms of the ratio.
Last edited by Jazmina on Aug 28th, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8314 posts
775 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:33 pm
best to get a mix of KBG, fescue and annual rye for Ontario conditions as they all have different characteristics to compensate for the limitations of the others (e.g. germination period. clumping). I've had good success with the the TSC brand I believe it's 40-30-30% in terms of the ratio.
what is TSC?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Feb 4, 2010
427 posts
110 upvotes
Magoo61 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 11:06 pm
The first thing is the weeds. They have to go. I live in Sask. have easy access to herbicides, I would use Round-Up. Basically kills anything green. The anti-herbicide people will pull the weeds out by hand. Good luck, if you do not entire root, they will come back. Round-Up will take 7 to 10 days to kill the weeds Done with the weeds, small area give it a hard rake, loosen up the soil, aerate the soil. Any tool that will pierce the soil will work, a kitchen fork will do the job. Now the bed is prepared. Add some topsoil & triple mix products. Purchase good top soil, sterilized & preferably screened. Sterilized means the soil has been cooked to kill weed seeds. I mix my seed in the topsoil & triple mix, give it light tamping, rake lightly, grooves to hold water. Water twice a day, moist only. Apply a starter fertilizer. Easy DIY project. Warning be patient. You will give yourself a well deserved pat on the back.

I use Scott's products for 33 years, never failed me.

Enjoy the remainder of summer.
Hahaha I see this is your usual cut and paste but it's not relevant to situation/question as I indicated I"m renting an overseeder and the weeds in questions are limited to a very small section 3x5', no need for round up or other chemicals -thanks though.