• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 12:58 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1724 posts
83 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:29 pm
where can we get Kentucky Blue Grass seed? is it better than rye grass?
most "sunny condition" or "high traffic" mixes will contain a fairly high percentage of KBG. KBG looks great as your lawn will be a lush green but downside to KBG is it requires more maintenance (watering)
Jazmina wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:33 pm

best to get a mix of KBG, fescue and annual rye for Ontario conditions as they all have different characteristics to compensate for the limitations of the others (e.g. germination period. clumping). I've had good success with the the TSC brand I believe it's 40-30-30% in terms of the ratio.
I would get a mix with perennial rye, as there will be more work seeding annual rye b/c it will not regrow next season
kiasu wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 12:36 pm
what is TSC?
http://www.tscstores.com/
Feb 4, 2010
429 posts
110 upvotes
sumrandomguy wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 2:01 pm

I would get a mix with perennial rye, as there will be more work seeding annual rye b/c it will not regrow next season
Yes sorry I meant perennial not annual
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8323 posts
776 upvotes
i have been using seeds from fair green in Markham
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2070 posts
351 upvotes
so I did a round of round up, killed lots of the weeds (some still survived, but I'm going to pull them out by hand) and am ready to start laying down a grass lawn using grass seeds. I started tilling to soil manually with a spading fork, but find that the soil comes out clumpy and doesn't break down easily. Is there a manual way to break down the tilled earth so that it is ready for grass planting?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1155 posts
52 upvotes
Ontario
My weeds a fairly under control, some patches of clover and a few mushrooms here and there.
I do find my lawn isn't a deep dark green like my neighbors. I have an irrigation system, which I didn't use as much with the rainy ON summer. And I fertilize 4 times per year.

Its a very thick lawn, but lots of dead grass, does it need a thatching? You can see in the one pick of my lawn vs. my neighbours. I was cutting it at the highest setting on my Craftsman gas mower, and now I'm down to the middle of 5 height setttings.

Thoughts?
Nov 7, 2012
662 posts
235 upvotes
TORONTO
looks like thatch. But as rainy as it was early summer it hasn't been in the past month. Looks like it needs more water. The thing with really thick lawns is that thatch tends to build up faster. But I really think it needs more water.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1155 posts
52 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks,
Should I de-thatch before winter? I have been watering twice a week.

Do those electric de-thatchers work well?
Apr 4, 2003
958 posts
88 upvotes
The weather in GTA has been quite warm this past week. Do you guys think it would be too late to overseed the first week of October?

Anyone ever thought of buying a slit overseeder since it sounds like it's something that needs to be used over and over again each year.
Feb 4, 2010
429 posts
110 upvotes
Smoothie wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 3:21 pm
Thanks,
Should I de-thatch before winter? I have been watering twice a week.

Do those electric de-thatchers work well?
That's not from a lack of water. I would recommend to dethatch. You also need to fertilize regularly that's where the Deep green color comes from
congenic wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:41 pm
The weather in GTA has been quite warm this past week. Do you guys think it would be too late to overseed the first week of October?

Anyone ever thought of buying a slit overseeder since it sounds like it's something that needs to be used over and over again each year.
Depending on temperature as you can overseed until the end of October. I wouldn't buy an overseeder but I did rent one last week I already have pretty decent growth in one week. I don't think you would get your money's worth if you buy it. I also don't think you need to do it every year maybe every other year or every two years
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8323 posts
776 upvotes
Here is the one done in labour day

Havent mowed yet

Have to another day until the heat wave over then only mowe
Images
  • IMG_6085.JPG
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Apr 4, 2003
958 posts
88 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:55 pm
Depending on temperature as you can overseed until the end of October. I wouldn't buy an overseeder but I did rent one last week I already have pretty decent growth in one week. I don't think you would get your money's worth if you buy it. I also don't think you need to do it every year maybe every other year or every two years
Thanks! I know someone suggested places to rent from, out of curiosity where did you rent yours and how much did you pay? I think UnitedRentals was what google came up with for me. I'm not sure if the machine that they rent matters. $70 for 4 hours fair?
Feb 4, 2010
429 posts
110 upvotes
congenic wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 9:40 am
Thanks! I know someone suggested places to rent from, out of curiosity where did you rent yours and how much did you pay? I think UnitedRentals was what google came up with for me. I'm not sure if the machine that they rent matters. $70 for 4 hours fair?
That price sounds reasonable but just make sure it "roughs up" up the soil and doesn't just drop it on top of the grass.

I'm outside of the GTA so it won't be of much help but it's a small company called universal rentals or something like that. I paid $48 for 4 hours (or $65 for 24 hours) but i had to pay $20 each way for them to drop off and pick up - WAY too heavy lift in and out of van - need some sort of board (I can't think of the correct name for those things). I was initially going to rent from Home Depot (the charge $65 for 4 hours or $85 for 24 hours) but it did not "rough up" the soil -it was literally a drop seeder. The machine I rented was a dethatcher and overseeder- I was kind of worried about using that because I thought all the thatch would cover of up the seed but have had good results so far especially considering the weather. Unfortunately, I will have to re-seed small patches here and there because my broadcast spreader broke in the middle of fertilizing so I have patches where excess fertilizer dropped and have some burnt areas. I will reseed those areas by hand when rain is in the forecast.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8323 posts
776 upvotes
Just mowed
Images
  • IMG_6120.JPG
  • IMG_6121.JPG
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Apr 4, 2003
958 posts
88 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 6:52 pm
That price sounds reasonable but just make sure it "roughs up" up the soil and doesn't just drop it on top of the grass.

I'm outside of the GTA so it won't be of much help but it's a small company called universal rentals or something like that. I paid $48 for 4 hours (or $65 for 24 hours) but i had to pay $20 each way for them to drop off and pick up - WAY too heavy lift in and out of van - need some sort of board (I can't think of the correct name for those things). I was initially going to rent from Home Depot (the charge $65 for 4 hours or $85 for 24 hours) but it did not "rough up" the soil -it was literally a drop seeder. The machine I rented was a dethatcher and overseeder- I was kind of worried about using that because I thought all the thatch would cover of up the seed but have had good results so far especially considering the weather. Unfortunately, I will have to re-seed small patches here and there because my broadcast spreader broke in the middle of fertilizing so I have patches where excess fertilizer dropped and have some burnt areas. I will reseed those areas by hand when rain is in the forecast.
Do you remember the brand of the overseeder? I think by design slit seeders have blades that should rough-up the soil?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8323 posts
776 upvotes
Now...looking for howto trim the side....

any suggestion? or youtube?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)