More Weeds than grass, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 12:58 pm
Feb 4, 2010
427 posts
109 upvotes
congenic wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 7:19 am
Do you remember the brand of the overseeder? I think by design slit seeders have blades that should rough-up the soil?
It was a Classen. And yes that's what I imagine too but according to HD staff the one they have doesn't do that though some of the staff don't always know what they're talking about. I didn't bother to check underneath as I found this other place that was cheaper.
Apr 4, 2003
958 posts
88 upvotes
Jazmina wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 9:13 am
It was a Classen. And yes that's what I imagine too but according to HD staff the one they have doesn't do that though some of the staff don't always know what they're talking about. I didn't bother to check underneath as I found this other place that was cheaper.
Classen appears to be a popular brand too. I've called a couple of Home Depot's near me, United Rental, Stephenson's Rental and no one seems to have them. Any one have any suggestions for GTA? Thanks :)
Dec 12, 2013
13 posts
1 upvote
Richmond Hill
I removed weeds by hand from the lawn and overseeded during labour day and the new grass has been growing well. However, the weeds have grown back. What should I do now? Should I buy Scotts Weed B Gon and apply it on the weeds before mowing or should I pull them out by hand before mowing?

Here's what I'm talking about: Image
Feb 14, 2012
996 posts
195 upvotes
London
Is anyone seeding their lawn recently or is it too late?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8304 posts
768 upvotes
Kwando wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 5:05 pm
Did mine on labour day

Thwn i applied second level overseed yesterday before rain
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2012
1805 posts
125 upvotes
Guelph
Stupid question, but if I use a slit seeder now...does it require as much watering as seeding a new area...or over seeding? Or can I time it right to let the fall and winter take care of it?
Feb 4, 2010
427 posts
109 upvotes
dtm252535 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 1:22 pm
Stupid question, but if I use a slit seeder now...does it require as much watering as seeding a new area...or over seeding? Or can I time it right to let the fall and winter take care of it?
slit seeding is for overseeding but either way - you need to keep the soil moist until the new grass sprouts. I oversseeded 2 weeks ago with a machine and only watered once a day at night despite the "heat wave" - I mowed the lawn today. Beautiful, lush green grass. You could wait until more rain is in the forecast but you don't want to wait too long. If it were me, I would do it now unless you don't have many trees that drop leaves, you could a bit longer.
Feb 4, 2010
427 posts
109 upvotes
chopstixs wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 10:22 am
I removed weeds by hand from the lawn and overseeded during labour day and the new grass has been growing well. However, the weeds have grown back. What should I do now? Should I buy Scotts Weed B Gon and apply it on the weeds before mowing or should I pull them out by hand before mowing?

Here's what I'm talking about: Image
You probably used top soil that was full of weed seed. I'd just wait until spring and use a pre-emergent then - unless you want to spend the time digging them up.
Feb 4, 2010
427 posts
109 upvotes
Kwando wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 5:05 pm
Now is a good time - supposed to rain later on the week too
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1630 posts
18 upvotes
Interested in applying corn gluten meal to grass but also heard that it will prevent your grass overseeding to work. When do you apply it so that it doesn't impact the overseeding?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7626 posts
169 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 8:33 am
Now...looking for howto trim the side....

any suggestion? or youtube?
weed wacker/trimmer...turned on it's side....you'll get a nice clean line
Aug 3, 2011
408 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
CDNPatriot wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 7:51 pm
Interested in applying corn gluten meal to grass but also heard that it will prevent your grass overseeding to work. When do you apply it so that it doesn't impact the overseeding?
4 weeks before or after the seeding. But it's pointless to apply those now, since the new dandelions seeds will germinate in the next spring. Whatever you see now is already established, and won't be impacted by the gluten meal.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2005
1724 posts
83 upvotes
just got the last mow of the season done yesterday early afternoon before the crazy weather in the GTA. Didn't get a chance to throw down any fall fertilizer tho. Too late now? or am I still okay based on the temperatures next week?