More Weeds than grass, What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2018 6:48 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3250 posts
1663 upvotes
Ontario
No more weed problems today. Mother nature sprayed some white stuff last night. Grass looks fantastic now!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
5609 posts
1213 upvotes
Toronto
hebsie wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:50 pm
No more weed problems today. Mother nature sprayed some white stuff last night. Grass looks fantastic now!
How long did it take to see results (after spraying)?

I just dig mine out.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3250 posts
1663 upvotes
Ontario
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:52 pm
How long did it take to see results (after spraying)?

I just dig mine out.
I went to bed at 10PM, woke at 6AM, all the weeds were gone.
Apr 19, 2012
209 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
I'm going to rent a power overseeder from home depot:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/tool-a ... 08810.html

I believe this is what I need for a large lawn that needs to be dethatched and overseeded?

When would be a good time to do it? I'd like to do it this spring and then again in the fall. Weather is getting warmer, I'm thinking to plan in a week or so?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1063 posts
363 upvotes
notsureofitiall wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 1:25 pm
I'm going to rent a power overseeder from home depot:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/tool-a ... 08810.html

I believe this is what I need for a large lawn that needs to be dethatched and overseeded?

When would be a good time to do it? I'd like to do it this spring and then again in the fall. Weather is getting warmer, I'm thinking to plan in a week or so?
In the fall, which has prime conditions (warmer air/soil temps) - if you do it now, you will also be spreading weed seed around. I did mine last September/October
Apr 19, 2012
209 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
hierophant wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 5:46 pm
In the fall, which has prime conditions (warmer air/soil temps) - if you do it now, you will also be spreading weed seed around. I did mine last September/October
I imagine not doing it now is well worse then doing it now? I'm going to have all kinds of weeds from the bare patches now.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7728 posts
186 upvotes
hierophant wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 5:46 pm
you can do it both in the spring & fall if you have the time/money
Feb 18, 2014
380 posts
530 upvotes
notsureofitiall wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 5:59 am
I imagine not doing it now is well worse then doing it now? I'm going to have all kinds of weeds from the bare patches now.
Spring overseeding is totally doable... just have to be very diligent about watering through out the summer. For me, I overseed my slightly cooler north facing backyard in the Spring and leave the south facing front overseeding for the fall.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1063 posts
363 upvotes
Of course overseeding is doable anytime but if you're using a split seeder or another type of machinery to rough up the soil - this is when weeds germinate so again, yes you can do it now but you're also spreading weed seed - the whole point of overseeding is to choke out the weeds so it makes no sense, but if you want to waste your time and money, sure go ahead. If you were just laying topsoil instead then I would say go ahead and do it in a few weeks (still too cold to do it now)

I would suggest to use a pre-emergent now to prevent anymore weeds and then rent the overseeder end of Aug/or beginning-mid Sep (when forecast calls for several day of rain).
Apr 19, 2012
209 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
hierophant wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 8:25 pm
Of course overseeding is doable anytime but if you're using a split seeder or another type of machinery to rough up the soil - this is when weeds germinate so again, yes you can do it now but you're also spreading weed seed - the whole point of overseeding is to choke out the weeds so it makes no sense, but if you want to waste your time and money, sure go ahead. If you were just laying topsoil instead then I would say go ahead and do it in a few weeks (still too cold to do it now)

I would suggest to use a pre-emergent now to prevent anymore weeds and then rent the overseeder end of Aug/or beginning-mid Sep (when forecast calls for several day of rain).
Thanks for the response. I'll overseed without the overseeder in the really bad spots and do the own lawn in the fall as suggested.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1347 posts
310 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
hierophant wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 8:25 pm

I did some overseeding / top dressing last night. Some of the forecasted temperatures may be a touch cooler than ideal, but I'm confident the seed will grow.

Last year, I waited until the lows were always in double digits. Success was fairly important to me, because I was re-seeding my whole backyard. It was a sad state of mostly dirt and weeds from the previous owner. The backyard grew very well, though I got lots of weeds, which you can't really avoid when you expose bare dirt in the spring. I did not want to go until the fall with no grass though.

The overseeding I did in the front last year had mixed success, because I was a little lazy on prep, and putting down enough good quality soil.

Lots of people that planted earlier than me last year had good success.
Last edited by rkjredflag on May 3rd, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1732 posts
94 upvotes
Mississauga
are you guys just putting seed down?

are you mowing down to the bottom first?

are you sprinkling soil and seed?

what technique is best?

I see more weeds popping up this year
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10011 posts
1068 upvotes
u dont have to wait until next few weeks...just do it now...i started did it a week ago...even though these few days a bit hot but the key is water water water...and we r getting rain coming few days in GTA...so good timing.....

i notice some started to germinate already...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)