• Oct 4th, 2018 8:58 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8858 posts
3068 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The_Professor wrote:
May 18th, 2018 3:16 pm
Does anyone have a site that we can get the good stuff (2-4-D?) and have it delivered to the GTA?
E-bay.ca... look for 'par 3' at under $100 CDN delivered for 4 litres.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8858 posts
3068 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The_Professor wrote:
May 18th, 2018 4:06 pm
Thank you. Is there one product in particular that you recommend for general weed control (mostly have dandelions)? I noticed some of the product pages specifically say that they cannot be shipped to Canada.
Anything that has 2,4-D in it will get rid of most broadleaf weeds like dandelions.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8858 posts
3068 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BeapChastard wrote:
May 18th, 2018 6:31 pm
Can you buy 1L of Par 3?

According to the manufacturer's .pdf on the product, 1L bottles are available. You might have to reach out to the ebay sellers to see if they can order that in for you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7711 posts
183 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 4:47 pm

Edit: Oops, I just noticed they no longer ship to Canada. I guess that's a recent change because I was able to order from them last year.
i thought they always had that on the site...but ppl were still able to order & receive...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9806 posts
1034 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
May 18th, 2018 4:47 pm
https://www.horseloverz.com/lawn-garden ... ller-con-4

This is what I bought from them last year and it worked wonders. I bought the 128 oz. size, but it does come in a smaller size as well. My front lawn is now free of dandelions, whereas the neighbour's lawn next door (separated by driveway) is so overgrown with dandelions, it actually looks quite pretty.

Edit: Oops, I just noticed they no longer ship to Canada. I guess that's a recent change because I was able to order from them last year.
can we get them to ship to mailbox at border like Buffalo and pick up from there?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
May 10, 2014
3 posts
Saint John, NB
I was told today crossing the border I was allowed 200ml or 500grams of weed killer. I have never heard these numbers before but they seem absurdly low. They let me go through with everything I had but said next time it would be a no.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8858 posts
3068 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wucube wrote:
May 26th, 2018 6:15 pm
I was told today crossing the border I was allowed 200ml or 500grams of weed killer. I have never heard these numbers before but they seem absurdly low. They let me go through with everything I had but said next time it would be a no.
How did you declare it?
May 10, 2014
3 posts
Saint John, NB
craftsman wrote:
May 26th, 2018 7:26 pm
How did you declare it?
I pulled up and they asked normal questions then asked if we had fertilizer or weed killer...We said we had weed killer and they sent us in with yellow slip and they looked at receipts and said you have way too much weed killer you are only allowed 200ml or 500 grams and went and looked in the car and again said way too much.

I did not really specify at any point how much I had nor did they ask other than looking in the car.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8858 posts
3068 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wucube wrote:
May 26th, 2018 8:02 pm
I pulled up and they asked normal questions then asked if we had fertilizer or weed killer...We said we had weed killer and they sent us in with yellow slip and they looked at receipts and said you have way too much weed killer you are only allowed 200ml or 500 grams and went and looked in the car and again said way too much.

I did not really specify at any point how much I had nor did they ask other than looking in the car.
That's strange... for me, they typically ask if I have anything to declare, then when I respond with $x amount, they may follow that up with a question about tobacco or alcohol and in the rare case, ask for a break down of the amount. Of course, in BC, we don't have a province wide ban so that might factor in to it. However, the CBSA typically doesn't not enforce provincial stuff... just federal.

The only thing that I'm aware of that you can't import into Canada is a 'weed-n-feed' type of product which is banned across Canada.
Aug 16, 2009
873 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Are weeds edible? I saw a neighbour laying down weeds on their driveway and drying it out. Looked like they are going to cook it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7356 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
I have a killer amount of weeds in my grass which was newly sodded Fall 2016 after landscape work front and back.

Last year I did Spectracide (from the US) to control weeds and it seemed to sort of work. But it seemed to only suppress, not kill, as they've all come back with vigor this year. My parents actually pulled all the weeds from my front yard all throughout last year, which was nice, but they've come back regardless.

I haven't done my first mowing this year as I consider what to do with the weeds (don't want to just cut them down, but leaning that way my grass is starting to look stupidly long). I may mow them down, then Spectracide as well as fertilize the lawn. Do some overseeding and fertilizing again in the fall, as the seeds won't germinate until 4-6 weeks after Spectracide application, which will put us into the middle of summer....

Thoughts?

And recos on a good fertilizer to use now?
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1704 posts
673 upvotes
ontario
anyone have success eradicating wild violets in grass

while the dandies are gone, violets seem to laugh at 2-4d it seems
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8858 posts
3068 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Drew_W wrote:
May 27th, 2018 11:52 am
I have a killer amount of weeds in my grass which was newly sodded Fall 2016 after landscape work front and back.

Last year I did Spectracide (from the US) to control weeds and it seemed to sort of work. But it seemed to only suppress, not kill, as they've all come back with vigor this year. My parents actually pulled all the weeds from my front yard all throughout last year, which was nice, but they've come back regardless.

I haven't done my first mowing this year as I consider what to do with the weeds (don't want to just cut them down, but leaning that way my grass is starting to look stupidly long). I may mow them down, then Spectracide as well as fertilize the lawn. Do some overseeding and fertilizing again in the fall, as the seeds won't germinate until 4-6 weeks after Spectracide application, which will put us into the middle of summer....

Thoughts?

And recos on a good fertilizer to use now?
The reasons that many of the weeds are back are two fold:

1. Your neighbours... their weeds are spreading back into your lawn.
2. The lawn isn't thick enough to crowd out the weed's seeds (from your neighbour) so they land in the soil and start to grow.

Weed killer typically only works for weeds that are there at the point of application - ie they don't stop new weeds from growing, they just kill the ones that are there. I would actually apply the 2,4-D before you mow, wait a week for the herbicide to do it's thing, mow, wait 3 weeks for the late bloomers to come out and then 2,4-D them again. By applying 2,4-d first, you will have a better chance of hitting the larger weeds as they would have a lot of leaves for the 2,4-D to hit. After you mow, most of those large leaves have been cut off and you are left with a little stump which may or may not get enough 2,4-D to kill the root.