every 4 to 6 weeks and i usually do it before the rain starts
or the day/night before you are watering
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
9391 posts
949 upvotes
porksoda wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:33 pm
ahhh so its ok to do it currently as it is getting into summer heat now.

I will do it in the next couple of days then.

thanks
U need to work extra hard in the summer n spend more $ in water
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Jun 12, 2018
3 posts
Petawawa, Ontario
Hey everyone - I moved into a house with a neglected front lawn and I'm trying to get it back in shape. I sprayed with Par 3 herbicide 2 weeks ago and it did good work on the mass of dandelions but I still have what appears to me like a lot more then grass growing. Can anyone help me in identifying what is growing in these pictures and how to go about getting a nice lawn again? I also have Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns I could try but am hesitant to spray again so soon after applying Par 3. I bought some CIL Golfgreen 1-Step Lawn Makeover and Schultz Lawn fertilizer I'm waiting to use but again am hesitant to apply these with what else might be growing. Thanks in advance
Images
  • 20180613_203055_resized.jpg
  • 20180613_203102_resized.jpg
  • 20180613_203109_resized.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2061 posts
472 upvotes
Nunavut
stevo88 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 8:54 pm
Hey everyone - I moved into a house with a neglected front lawn and I'm trying to get it back in shape. I sprayed with Par 3 herbicide 2 weeks ago and it did good work on the mass of dandelions but I still have what appears to me like a lot more then grass growing. Can anyone help me in identifying what is growing in these pictures and how to go about getting a nice lawn again? I also have Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns I could try but am hesitant to spray again so soon after applying Par 3. I bought some CIL Golfgreen 1-Step Lawn Makeover and Schultz Lawn fertilizer I'm waiting to use but again am hesitant to apply these with what else might be growing. Thanks in advance
Looks like crabgrass? You would need a formula that also can kill it, not all of them do..

I would start putting down your grass seed ASAP, lots of bare patches for more weeds to take hold, get things going and established as it's getting a bit late for starting from seed
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8275 posts
2702 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
stevo88 wrote:
A word of advice - you are never going to get perfect conditions in terms of weeds at the early stages of lawn rehab. However, with the large amounts of exposed soil, if you don't get something started soon (in terms of grass) weeds will grow there as their seeds will blow over from your neighbour's yard. If you apply Spectracide now, you will need to wait a few more weeks before you can put down any seed and by that time, the heat of the Summer basically spells death for your fresh lawn by the time it starts growing.

My advice is to get some more grass seeds and mix it in with the Lawn Makeover stuff and put down a nice layer of seed across the whole lawn. Then get several bags of that cheap top soil and spread it over the bare spots to cover the grass seeds so that it will keep them moist. Then water.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8823 posts
2720 upvotes
Brampton
craftsman wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:10 pm
A word of advice - you are never going to get perfect conditions in terms of weeds at the early stages of lawn rehab. However, with the large amounts of exposed soil, if you don't get something started soon (in terms of grass) weeds will grow there as their seeds will blow over from your neighbour's yard. If you apply Spectracide now, you will need to wait a few more weeks before you can put down any seed and by that time, the heat of the Summer basically spells death for your fresh lawn by the time it starts growing.

My advice is to get some more grass seeds and mix it in with the Lawn Makeover stuff and put down a nice layer of seed across the whole lawn. Then get several bags of that cheap top soil and spread it over the bare spots to cover the grass seeds so that it will keep them moist. Then water.
Or peat moss. As Peat moss generally is cheaper and holds a lot of water.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8275 posts
2702 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tebore wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:12 pm
Or peat moss. As Peat moss generally is cheaper and holds a lot of water.
Yes - Peat Moss is definitely a great option. I just find that if the lawn is large enough, bags of soil are easier to manage as you can move a relatively light bag to a spot quickly than a 3.8 cuft block of peat moss! Ideally, if the lawn is large and patchy enough, get a delivery of a cubic yard of fine triple mix as a topper.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
8823 posts
2720 upvotes
Brampton
craftsman wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:15 pm
Yes - Peat Moss is definitely a great option. I just find that if the lawn is large enough, bags of soil are easier to manage as you can move a relatively light bag to a spot quickly than a 3.8 cuft block of peat moss! Ideally, if the lawn is large and patchy enough, get a delivery of a cubic yard of fine triple mix as a topper.
That's the advice I give. Just order it to your door and don't bother with the big box stores.
Jun 12, 2018
3 posts
Petawawa, Ontario
Thanks for the quick replies all- I'll get started on spreading the seed and fertilizer as soon as I can. How long after seeding and fertilizing do you guys suggest waiting to cut the grass? The lawn makeover seed and fertilizer recommends waiting 4 weeks. Looks like I'll have to cut the grass down, seed and fertilize then wait it out for the 4 weeks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8275 posts
2702 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
stevo88 wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 6:46 pm
Thanks for the quick replies all- I'll get started on spreading the seed and fertilizer as soon as I can. How long after seeding and fertilizing do you guys suggest waiting to cut the grass? The lawn makeover seed and fertilizer recommends waiting 4 weeks. Looks like I'll have to cut the grass down, seed and fertilize then wait it out for the 4 weeks
It really depends on how well the grass takes and the weather. If the heat hits, it's really going to slow the growth down. If you are concerned with the current grass height, give it a cut now but be prepared to wait several weeks depending on the weather.
Nov 14, 2013
439 posts
125 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
stevo88 wrote:
I do not see any grass. You have more weeds then actual grass. Not sure if it will be cost friendly to seed depending how large your lawn is.
Jun 12, 2018
3 posts
Petawawa, Ontario
Dsidhu wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 9:40 am
I do not see any grass. You have more weeds then actual grass. Not sure if it will be cost friendly to seed depending how large your lawn is.
Yeah it doesn't look to me like there's much grass either- majority of it appears like weeds and maybe crab grass but I don't know for sure. Front lawn and side lawn is about 2000sq ft. At $3.79 each for a 2' x 5' (10sqft) roll of sod that's alot of cash - even with a bulk discount. On the seed end of things most bags say 2000 sq ft would be about 12 lbs of seed. Even with 20 lbs of seed the price difference is huge. I understand sod is an instant fix whereas seed takes years but I'm there's really no rush to get this rehab done. What I'm wondering is how well I can even grow grass seed on top of the base that's already there? Yes it's patchy but it seems like those empty patches would be the easy part. What about all the weeds that are spreading out wide horizontally - will grass seed grow and smother that stuff? Those wide spreading weeds seem pretty thin - it looks like there's room for grass to grow within them but I don't know if it will.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7458 posts
930 upvotes
Toronto
stevo88 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 3:27 pm
Yeah it doesn't look to me like there's much grass either- majority of it appears like weeds and maybe crab grass but I don't know for sure. Front lawn and side lawn is about 2000sq ft. At $3.79 each for a 2' x 5' (10sqft) roll of sod that's alot of cash - even with a bulk discount. On the seed end of things most bags say 2000 sq ft would be about 12 lbs of seed. Even with 20 lbs of seed the price difference is huge. I understand sod is an instant fix whereas seed takes years but I'm there's really no rush to get this rehab done. What I'm wondering is how well I can even grow grass seed on top of the base that's already there? Yes it's patchy but it seems like those empty patches would be the easy part. What about all the weeds that are spreading out wide horizontally - will grass seed grow and smother that stuff? Those wide spreading weeds seem pretty thin - it looks like there's room for grass to grow within them but I don't know if it will.
Right now your problem is very little grass.
Maybe get rid of as much of the weeds as possible, even if you have to do it manually with a weeding tool.
Rent a slit/slice seeder and get some good all purpose grass.
This will give you much higher germination rates than just throwing the seeds over the soil as it maximizes seed to soil contact.

Make several passes, North,south,east and west as well as diagonal.
Keep area moist by watering in short spurts as regularly as you can throughout the day.
Most seeds germinate within 7 to 10 days.
You'll need to water lot's throughout the hot weather to keep the grass green.
You can fertilize after a couple weeks.
The soil is very poor and compacted so you can aerate and add some top soil and overseed in fall.