None
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8164 posts
5425 upvotes
Markham
Mark77 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2014 6:40 pm
Either way, you're going to have to pay a commission. Whether you go with the in-bank-branch people (who need the commission to pay the mortgage sales staff), or a mortgage broker, who charges a commission. The only way you could really DIY the whole mortgage process is to find some people who want a secure investment, and borrow from them.
It's a funny thing, to be able to give an opinion means that you *should* know something about the topic at hand. What you are doing here is spitballing and trolling. When people who are DOING THIS FOR A CAREER tell you that you are wrong, then you are probably wrong. Don't argue otherwise.

Also good luck finding "some people who want a secure investment." This statement is so gold. The guy who has been VEHEMENTLY preaching about subprime and housing crash just called a mortgage a secure investment.

Anyway, why don't you just do both. Then go with the best mortgage that fits your needs. No one said you cannot do both together.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5240 posts
1081 upvotes
GTA
@OP

What is the best rate you got so far? which bank?

2.5% 5yr float seemed to be the best I was quoted, I will have to refresh with my sources, it had been months.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5108 posts
345 upvotes
I just went for a quote (TD and they said 2.6% Variable closed) 4% open. I think it was 3.6% for 5 year or might have been 3 year. I forget.

I just got a credit card offer to increase my limit by 3.2k. If I accept does it affect anything? it will make my credit card 10k+
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5240 posts
1081 upvotes
GTA
Got a call today for 2.55% 5yr floating close, TD. Broker only suggested that so no quote on other tenors...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5240 posts
1081 upvotes
GTA
killoverme wrote:
Jan 8th, 2014 5:48 pm
I just went for a quote (TD and they said 2.6% Variable closed) 4% open. I think it was 3.6% for 5 year or might have been 3 year. I forget.

I just got a credit card offer to increase my limit by 3.2k. If I accept does it affect anything? it will make my credit card 10k+
Probably very little. I would not borrow anything but limit increase should be ok.