Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2289 posts
162 upvotes
Alberta

Mosquito Coils...Do They Work

I was just wondering if anyone knows if mosquito coils actually work or not.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7108 posts
653 upvotes
worst year ever in edmonton, i dont even want to go out, i went to the driving range last night, i had around 50 bites in 15 minutes.

as for the coils, i lit some around a firepit a few weeks ago, hard to say if they worked, maybe the fire kept the bugs away.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
149 upvotes
Try citronella candles and/or citronella torches. They sell them at Canadian Tire.

Great for using in outdoor spaces.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
946 upvotes
Mississauga
I've tried the coils in the past and they seem to work but I have to place 3 of them surrounding the area. Again, I have no proof and maybe alcohol eventually made up numb to them but they seem to make some sort of difference when using more then one. I'm sure there are other better choices on the marker such as what Crinkle_cut has recommended.
Jul 5, 2004
21321 posts
1568 upvotes
What I use is the "OFF" lanterns that you light. I've found they work pretty well and my hunting buddies recommend them too.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1297 posts
60 upvotes
GTA
Mosquito coils are worse to your lungs than second hand smokes from cigarettes.

One should never use it on a regular basis.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3199 posts
109 upvotes
Georgetown
Is citronella "safe" for people to be around? I know many things we are sold are horrid for us (such as the numerous air fresheners they sell us to constantly infuse our homes with chemicals to mask lord knows what odour that shouldn't even be an issue in a clean house).

I'm just wondering if lighting up a bunch of citronella torches is just as bad as dousing yourself in 'Off' (deet), or those mosquito coils that are worse than second hand smoke....
Jul 5, 2006
811 posts
65 upvotes
jl001 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2011 9:58 am
Mosquito coils are worse to your lungs than second hand smokes from cigarettes.

One should never use it on a regular basis.

if you sleep in an enclosed space with a bunch of them going you'll end up having the wieeerdest dreams, it's amazing.

my opinions are that they work best when they really blanket an area in smoke... so either in an enclosed space, or with multiple going around a relatively small outdoor area.

you're still going to get mosquitos biting you, but they do seem to discourage as many from coming around.

on the other hand... if you make a trip down to the states, and buy some of the 99.9% deet stuff (off deep woods or whatever), that does an epic job of keeping the mosquitos off. Note that there is a big difference between this and the pansy 30% or less stuff they sell in canada, which is just about useless. Just make sure you don't get any in your mouth or eyes, it has a numbing effect and tastes gross!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1706 posts
176 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Not sure if this works...I was talking to a "miner", and he said to put Bounce sheets in your pocket...I'll try it this weekend.
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin
× < >