Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes

Mosquito zappers?

Hi,

So I finally have my deck up and running (nothing like vero95's!). Unfortunately, from my experience last summer, there can be a fair number of mosquitoes in my backyard. Short of getting my deck completely screened in, what are the options for mosquito control? Does anyone have first hand experience with the various types of flying insect control? I see electronic bug zappers, and various restaurants have those zappers with blue lights. What about the propane powered ones? Do they work?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1214 posts
96 upvotes
PhuFighter wrote:
May 30th, 2011 2:42 pm
Hi,

So I finally have my deck up and running (nothing like vero95's!). Unfortunately, from my experience last summer, there can be a fair number of mosquitoes in my backyard. Short of getting my deck completely screened in, what are the options for mosquito control? Does anyone have first hand experience with the various types of flying insect control? I see electronic bug zappers, and various restaurants have those zappers with blue lights. What about the propane powered ones? Do they work?

Bug zappers are probably not the best solution.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1602 posts
192 upvotes
I'm looking into putting up a bat house this year, not sure where I'm going to install it yet..

Natural way of helping control mosquito's, rumor is they eat up to their body weight in mosquito's and other small bugs per night.. or 1,000 per hour

One small house could have 20 or more bats
[OP]
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes
Eldorado wrote:
May 30th, 2011 5:05 pm
I'm looking into putting up a bat house this year, not sure where I'm going to install it yet..

Natural way of helping control mosquito's, rumor is they eat up to their body weight in mosquito's and other small bugs per night.. or 1,000 per hour

One small house could have 20 or more bats

a bat house? I'd totally do that, but how the heck do you get bats to stay there? Put up a belfry?
Sep 20, 2005
955 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Thermacell, google it. I like the fact that hunters use them.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes
wrigley wrote:
May 30th, 2011 11:57 pm

This seems a lot more promising than waiting for bats to (maybe) appear. Thanks! I'll go and check these out tomorrow. The mosquitoes drove me nuts tonight :(
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
131 upvotes
We put up a bat-house 3 years ago. Just a small one on top of a pole that previously held a Purple Martin house that the squirrels squatted in and totally demolished.

This year the bats finally arrived in full force. I noticed a few last year, but not enough to get excited about. But now, I think they invited all their family and friends over for a party and it's packed. Are they making a difference? The optimist in me wants to say yes, but the realist doesn't notice much of a difference. It should be noted that there's a lot to be said for having dozens of bats whizzing around just above our heads while we sit around our fire pit. I personally can ignore it and it doesn't bother me much (any more), but it just isn't a comfortable setting for the women and children in my life.

(The damn bat house is all cock-eyed now, too. I think one of the two screws holding it to the pole gave way and it sits at almost a 45 degree angle than what it should be. So I don't really want to touch it until, ummm, November I guess. Dealing with a horror movie scenerio trying to straighten it out while it's occupied isn't on my to-do list this summer.)

We just learned to deal with the mosquitoes. Citronella candles on the burning poles surrounding our fire pit/sitting area seems to be the best option, in our opinion.

Mosquitoes are annoying, I'll give you that. But it just goes with being a Canadian. I'd rather deal with mosquites than black flies, though.

Edit. oops. Forgot to say that we found bug zappers to be completely worthless. All they do is attract more to the area. It might kill a lot of them, but we found it just brought more insects to the general vicinity...which, I think with all things considered, just evened everything out.

And for the record: I live in a semi-rural area in eastern Ontario. The back of my property, about 300 feet from the house, is a huge swamp that goes on for the length of the sub-division before turning into an actual body of water. So believe me...we have to deal with every insect imaginable.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1602 posts
192 upvotes
PhuFighter wrote:
May 30th, 2011 10:56 pm
a bat house? I'd totally do that, but how the heck do you get bats to stay there? Put up a belfry?

There are tips on how to attract bats, basically should be mounted in an appropriate area - high enough from predators and is in the sun for 6-8 hours to keep it nice and warm

It will be tough in newer sub divisions as the local bat population is probably next to nothing, but other more mature areas with some good sized trees nearby they say under good conditions could only take a few days/couple weeks

If you put up a good home for them, they won't be going anywhere!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5944 posts
947 upvotes
Mississauga
I got this quote from the link below and disagree with the statement "zappers attracted mosquitoes but did not kill them". I don't have any proof that the zappers do or don't attract mosquitoes but I do have proof that they kill them. Last year while drinking in the back yard for a couple hours we noticed that there must have been hundreds of dead mosquitoes right below the zapper as a direct result of the zapper. Not sure how they can say that electrocution doesn't kill mosquitoes. I heard them being zapped and I saw them drop to the floor.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2005
4576 posts
505 upvotes
wrigley wrote:
May 30th, 2011 11:57 pm
Crappy Tire has them on sale for $14.99 until Thursday June 2. Most of the CTs around here were cleared of any mosquito related appliance due to the $5 coupon last weekend. The 2 that I bought worked really well...but I forget to turn them off, so the butane pack is empty. Refills are $10. Just remember to turn off when done. :-0 :facepalm:
Eldorado wrote:
May 31st, 2011 10:52 am
There are tips on how to attract bats, basically should be mounted in an appropriate area - high enough from predators and is in the sun for 6-8 hours to keep it nice and warm

It will be tough in newer sub divisions as the local bat population is probably next to nothing, but other more mature areas with some good sized trees nearby they say under good conditions could only take a few days/couple weeks

If you put up a good home for them, they won't be going anywhere!

Alberta SRD has free plans and tips here: http://www.srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversityS ... fault.aspx

You can get a small pre-fab unit for $22 from Home Hardware. http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index ... t=bathouse
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
We've contemplated zappers but worried that they attracted as many mosquitos as they killed. Am open-minded, though, and just might break down this year due to the heavy rains last month or so.

We rely on citronella candles and the propane-powered mosquito magnets. The two seem to work well - the citronella seems to mask our CO2 and make us difficult to detect for the buggers whereas the "magnets" take out a couple of hundred mosquitos each week. The downsides? They are expensive to buy and require a propane refill AND octenol every 3-4 weeks from early May through early September and you don't really notice the change right away - these things reduce the local population not eradicate every mosquito in the 'hood. IOW, you're talking about about $100 just to operate the unit each year (and we operate two units) and, in our circumstances, it took about 2 years to notice the delta. The key to these propane-powered fellas is to place them between you and the source of the mosquitos - the closer to the source, the better. We put our near some spruces and we'll kill hundreds each week whereas up by our house, we'll get a fraction of that.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 5:45 am
We've contemplated zappers but worried that they attracted as many mosquitos as they killed. Am open-minded, though, and just might break down this year due to the heavy rains last month or so.

We rely on citronella candles and the propane-powered mosquito magnets. The two seem to work well - the citronella seems to mask our CO2 and make us difficult to detect for the buggers whereas the "magnets" take out a couple of hundred mosquitos each week. The downsides? They are expensive to buy and require a propane refill AND octenol every 3-4 weeks from early May through early September and you don't really notice the change right away - these things reduce the local population not eradicate every mosquito in the 'hood. IOW, you're talking about about $100 just to operate the unit each year (and we operate two units) and, in our circumstances, it took about 2 years to notice the delta. The key to these propane-powered fellas is to place them between you and the source of the mosquitos - the closer to the source, the better. We put our near some spruces and we'll kill hundreds each week whereas up by our house, we'll get a fraction of that.

ok. some useful advice. Which model/brand propane mosquitoe zapper did you get? Any recommendations? There are too many small standing pools of water near my home and they persist most of the summer. I would be more than willing to spend $200/summer to be able to use my backyard past 4pm.

I was contemplating putting out those battery powered thermacell units on each corner of my deck - aiming for > 100% overlap and cover all directions of windflow. But, alas, Home Hardware near me didn't stock any. If it's easier to operate one or two machines vs a half dozen thermacell ones, I'm all for it. but from the sounds of it, I'll get more instant gratification with thermacell and longer term with the propane powered systems.

So recommendations on what to use? Thanks!
Apr 3, 2007
508 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
Just ordered the DragonFly II system for our backyard. Hoping it will be a wise purchase.
Van G
× < >