• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2014 9:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ssainani wrote: Queensway has both - always.

but the price of flank is way too expensive. I think the exact same price as strip.
I wonder if it's an Eastern thing. I mean you guys like your Montreal smoked meat more than we do out West.

That's the problem with "cheap" cuts getting popular. It gets expensive.
Steak cuts are rarely the most expensive thing per pound in the case any more.
Short ribs, ox tails, flank (apparently), tongue, etc are all getting pretty damn expensive. Sometimes just as much or more than strip. Hell, I'm pretty damn sure that I can find some boneless short rib that's more than tenderloin.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Made stir fried beef with 2 steaks. Had to add additional seasoning. Beef is quite tender. I have gotten cheaper cuts of meat at the market, but have not been able to match the tenderness i found with these steaks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
nyik wrote: Made stir fried beef with 2 steaks. Had to add additional seasoning. Beef is quite tender. I have gotten cheaper cuts of meat at the market, but have not been able to match the tenderness i found with these steaks.
That's because they're artificially tenderized.
You can accomplish the same thing by using a commercial meat tenderizing powder. Cheaper too I might add.

Oh and you can achieve (what I think are) better results using a blade tenderizer. Powder tenderizers have a strange texture afterwards for me.
Aug 21, 2009
321 posts
82 upvotes
Brampton
I wanted to finish up the box of frozen Black River Angus Steaks and the quickest way for me was steak sandwiches.

Using a French baguette halved and cut into sections, a good layer of Horseradish/Mustard sauce is applied, both halves.
Sour cream, Dijon or brown mustard, horseradish, parsley, salt and pepper mixture is all it takes.
Layer some Provolone or creamy Havarti cheese slices down both halves too.

Saute some diced green peppers and onions until soft, remove from pan.
Add in the beef that has been sliced cross ways against the grain and cook until almost complete.
Return your onions and green peppers to the pan and toss in some sliced mushrooms, add extra seasonings until finished.

Spoon mixture onto both halves of the bread and put together, wrap sandwich in foil and heat in the oven until cheese is melted.
Or, quickly heat them open faced to melt cheese, put together the halves and devour!

If you want to go the extra mile after sauteing the ingredients, you could add some beef broth, quarter cup of dry red wine, red pepper flakes, couple tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and slow simmer everything for a while.
Drain the broth and use as a dipping sauce for your now juicy sandwich filling on a baguette.
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: That's because they're artificially tenderized.
You can accomplish the same thing by using a commercial meat tenderizing powder. Cheaper too I might add.

Oh and you can achieve (what I think are) better results using a blade tenderizer. Powder tenderizers have a strange texture afterwards for me.
Where would someone buy commercial meat tenderizing powder? And how log would it need to soak in it?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Maybe you have seen "Accent" for sale in the spice area. It contains papain from papaya to soften or dissolve the surface of the meat. It can't be left on too long.
Too much , and it will work on your stomach lining.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
HeavenLeigh wrote: Where would someone buy commercial meat tenderizing powder? And how log would it need to soak in it?
Most grocery stores have it in the spice aisle. But I highly recommend against it.
You'll have to read the directions on the package as I don't recall how to use it. The texture wasn't good.
jayt90 wrote: Maybe you have seen "Accent" for sale in the spice area.
Accent is MSG not meat tenderizer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote: That's because they're artificially tenderized.

I've tried blade tenderizers. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I've never gotten result anywhere close to this.

Can I get powdered tenderizers in store? (besides using baking soda)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
nyik wrote: I've tried blade tenderizers. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I've never gotten result anywhere close to this.
How many times do you go over the meat? It'll never compare to powdered tenderizers since it's a different process. Powders break down the meat making it mushy. Blade tenderizers retain some of the texture.
Can I get powdered tenderizers in store? (besides using baking soda)
Most supermarkets have them. They're usually bottom shelf in the spice aisle. You might find it among the rack of glass jarred spices too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
death_hawk wrote: How many times do you go over the meat? It'll never compare to powdered tenderizers since it's a different process. Powders break down the meat making it mushy. Blade tenderizers retain some of the texture.

Most supermarkets have them. They're usually bottom shelf in the spice aisle. You might find it among the rack of glass jarred spices too.
ultrablue wrote: [IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... g~original[/IMG] [IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r182 ... g~original[/IMG]

Instructions:(from the container)
Pierce meat all over. Sprinkle all surfaces. Let stand 30 minutes for improved texture and flavour. Use 1 tsp. per 1 lb. of meat.
Depending on the cut/thickness of the meat, I typically go over it until it almost feels like it could tear like a piece of paper.

Then I would throw it on a cast iron pan that's been smoking until it's medium rare.

I'll give the suggested meat tenderizer a quick go and see if it works. The only thing I don't like is that it includes salt, which doesn't give me any kind of a basis for how much salt to use in my marinade. I'm not about to try the meat tenderizer as is without cooking it to taste how salty it actually is. I guess it's trial and error here.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
This is very interesting, I'm really liking the potential for a high protein meal that is frozen & portion controlled. I usually buy huge round steaks from Costco and then portion them out myself, but this frozen looks just as good.

There's something to be said for easy, quick, cheap meals that are somewhat good for you (I say that in a high protein, weightlifting like diet). My aim with protein is under $4/serving and this qualifies.

Will pick up a few OP, thanks! Hopefully they go on sale and make it even cheaper.
Aug 21, 2009
321 posts
82 upvotes
Brampton
nyik wrote: I'll give the suggested meat tenderizer a quick go and see if it works.
The active ingredient to break down the meat protein is Bromelain in the Clubhouse bottle and is derived from pineapples.
I had a raw taste of the Clubhouse powder for you and yep, first ingredient as salt seems right, it was very salty tasting to the point where you probably could omit salt from the marinade recipe.
In fact you could add the meat tenderizer powder right to your marinade and adjust your soak time.
If you have a marinade with fresh pineapple or papaya it will provide some tenderizing action too.
Usually, a fast pricking of the meat with a fork will do on thick cuts, keeping the meat wet before applying the tenderizer.
After waiting 30 minutes, dry the meat and add your seasonings.
Be watchful when using tenderizer on thin cuts, it can turn the meat mushy if left on too long, perhaps reduce the time to 20 minutes or less depending on thickness.
Yes, it does work.
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
matdwyer wrote: This is very interesting, I'm really liking the potential for a high protein meal that is frozen & portion controlled. I usually buy huge round steaks from Costco and then portion them out myself, but this frozen looks just as good.

There's something to be said for easy, quick, cheap meals that are somewhat good for you (I say that in a high protein, weightlifting like diet). My aim with protein is under $4/serving and this qualifies.

Will pick up a few OP, thanks! Hopefully they go on sale and make it even cheaper.
Yea they're definitely worth it ! Doubt they will get any cheaper though lol.
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
jayt90 wrote: Maybe you have seen "Accent" for sale in the spice area. It contains papain from papaya to soften or dissolve the surface of the meat. It can't be left on too long.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
HeavenLeigh wrote: Ain't nobody got time for that
You don't have time to sprinkle something from a jar onto meat and wait 20 minutes?
How long does it take you to defrost this monstrosity?
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: You don't have time to sprinkle something from a jar onto meat and wait 20 minutes?
How long does it take you to defrost this monstrosity?
Well not at the risk of using too much and tenderizing my stomach lining lol. They defrost pretty quickly though as they are small portions
Mar 10, 2012
336 posts
343 upvotes
THORNHILL
jayt90 wrote: Maybe you have seen "Accent" for sale in the spice area. It contains papain from papaya to soften or dissolve the surface of the meat. It can't be left on too long.
Isn't Accent MSG?

Just to clarify, I have nothing against MSG, and use it sometimes...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)