Careers

most difficult job search I've ever had

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 10:12 pm
Nov 30, 2007
173 posts
16 upvotes
OP if you are so afraid of being doxxed if you reveal your profession, then could it be that it is so niche that there are only so many positions available and only the cream of the crop occupy them?

If not, my best suggestion would be to look at your network and see if you can find any leads. If you're desperate for work, you may have to settle for something associated with the specialization you have rather than actually doing. Look up old colleagues on linkedin.. etc.. good luck. It's not easy out there.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1933 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
wyseguy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:33 pm
OP if you are so afraid of being doxxed if you reveal your profession, then could it be that it is so niche that there are only so many positions available and only the cream of the crop occupy them?

If not, my best suggestion would be to look at your network and see if you can find any leads. If you're desperate for work, you may have to settle for something associated with the specialization you have rather than actually doing. Look up old colleagues on linkedin.. etc.. good luck. It's not easy out there.
I agree. If just by posting the role will expose his identification, it's probably a position with not many openings to begin with.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 2:54 pm
I agree. If just by posting the role will expose his identification, it's probably a position with not many openings to begin with.
But about 95% of graduates of my program DO find jobs fairly easily. And the few of us who are struggling are by no means the bottom 5%. So it's not that.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25379 posts
2745 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Have you had many interviews? Maybe you should look at your interview skills.

If revealing the job title reveals your identity, then it’s a niche. You either have a bad reputation within the industry or you interview poorly.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:16 pm
You either have a bad reputation within the industry or you interview poorly.
Unlikely. I already posted this:
n fact, that's how I got the summer short-term contract, and the client was very happy. As in - taking me out for lunch on the last day with a gift card and an offer to give a "glowing" reference happy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25379 posts
2745 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:20 pm
Unlikely. I already posted this:
Yes, I read that. But you also posted this
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:46 pm
Hell, I've already posted about how I'm being ignored for a job I already did well for the same company.
The same company that you worked for previously doesn’t want you back.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
raichu1 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:10 pm
Feel OP pain.

It's a shame this thread is turning into "you MUST be doing something wrong" and a laundry list of things it could possibly be. It's a real slap in the face to other jobseekers who might read this, who are fine people doing their level best and still having a tough time. And it's not like every employed person is perfect, so why is perfection expected from jobseekers?
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:23 pm
Yes, I read that. But you also posted this

The same company that you worked for previously doesn’t want you back.
Different company, same recruiting agency. I still have an email from the recruiting agency saying "thanks for representing us so well!" And the card and gift card from the client.

Since I literally have PROOF that they were happy with my work, I have no idea why you are assuming that I performed poorly. That's more about your issues.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25379 posts
2745 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:28 pm
That's more about your issues.
I have no issues. You’re the one being vague and leaving us to guess.

1. You’re in a limited field, demand should be high.
2. 95% gets hired

That tells me that you interview poorly or have a bad reputation. If the recruiting agency represents you, they must also represent others in the industry. If they are choosing others over you, then you need to question why your own rep firm is passing you up.
Oct 27, 2004
907 posts
72 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:08 am
I'm basically freaking out right now. I'm going through the most difficult job search of my life - and I'm 50, so that's a long time. I've got more skills, experience, etc than ever, I have a new master's degree in the exact field I'm applying to, and I haven't gotten a callback in over 2 months. Zero, zip, nada.

I've followed all the job search advice, and I've gotten many jobs over the years, so I don't think I'm doing anything terribly wrong. I had a very successful short-term contract over the summer, so as far as I can tell I can still do a job, get on with people, and so on. I've run out of ideas.

What do you do when NOTHING seems to work?
2 months? @pinkpearl, I'm afraid you're just at the beginning of what may prove to be a very very long search, friend.

My story: I'm late-40s. My marketing career was going swimmingly (2005 T4 was six figures) until 2006 when everything went off the rails -- laid off/hired/laid off/hired/laid off. I couldn't catch a break. I had to resort to service industry jobs for 10 years while never giving up. I sent out literally hundreds of resumes, and went on dozens of interviews. I started my own consulting company, but contracts were few and far between, and one client stiffed me for 2 months work.

After 10 years, I finally landed a gig that got me back into the tax bracket I was in back in 2005.

To answer your question, " What do you do when NOTHING seems to work?" Well, you do whatever you have to do to pay your bills, feed your kids and keep yourself sane. Pare down your lifestyle (cancel subscriptions, renegotiate TV/cell phone, eat chicken instead of steak, etc.). Work out every day (exercise is essential to keep your blood chemistry right). Send resumes every day (Indeed/Workopolis/Ladders etc. will refresh listings frequently. Many are BS, but the gem is in there... you just have to ferret it out).

Most importantly (and most difficult) is to keep smiling through it. I had a very hard time with that, and I think that's part of the reason why it took me 10 years to break the cycle. It wasn't until I really changed my life-view that things started to turn around for me.

It sucks. And it isn't going to get better for many of us, particular those of us in the middle of life. We're too expensive, and younger supervisors/managers are threatened by experience. The bottom line is you gotta work, and you gotta bring in some cash somehow.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:32 pm
I have no issues. You’re the one being vague and leaving us to guess.

1. You’re in a limited field, demand should be high.
2. 95% gets hired

That tells me that you interview poorly or have a bad reputation. If the recruiting agency represents you, they must also represent others in the industry. If they are choosing others over you, then you need to question why your own rep firm is passing you up.
That is not at all how my industry works. There certainly is no single (or even several) firm that reps ALL the people in my industry.

You're literally just coming up with scenarios to justify your weird attacks. You might as well accuse me of being Harvey Weinsten at this point.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25379 posts
2745 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:42 pm
You're literally just coming up with scenarios to justify your weird attacks. You might as well accuse me of being Harvey Weinsten at this point.
I have no intention of attacking you or your credibility. I started by asking if you are getting called for interviews.

... no response.

Assuming you’re getting calls (it’s a limited field), then you have to question why you’re not getting offers. Is it because you didn’t interview well?

If you’re not getting calls, do you have a bad reputation?

Don’t need to be defensive, I’m not attacking you. Just something for you to think about.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:56 pm
I have no intention of attacking you or your credibility. I started by asking if you are getting called for interviews.

... no response.

Assuming you’re getting calls (it’s a limited field), then you have to question why you’re not getting offers. Is it because you didn’t interview well?

If you’re not getting calls, do you have a bad reputation?

Don’t need to be defensive, I’m not attacking you. Just something for you to think about.
Why are you assuming anything?

I'm wondering how you think the mechanics of my bad reputation actually work. Have my haters actually contacted EVERYONE in my industry to tell them how horrible I am, or do they somehow know which jobs/companies I'm applying to and contact them each directly?