most difficult job search I've ever had

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 10:12 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2642 posts
237 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
OP I think we'd all like to see you and your classmates' CVs and cover letters.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1944 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
loserga wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:40 pm
OP I think we'd all like to see you and your classmates' CVs and cover letters.
I don't think anyone can provide an advice he would accept.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:51 pm
I don't think anyone can provide an advice he would accept.
Did you give any advice?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1944 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:54 pm
Did you give any advice?
We all gave you advice, just not the advice you want to hear.....if your role is this niche, and "95%" of your classmates are now employed while you know for a fact that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your interviewing skills, resume, or reference, then just view it as there aren't enough positions to fill the remaining 5%. If there are 5% more positions opens up, then you're likely on their hiring list.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3818 posts
526 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:25 pm

It's a shame this thread is turning into "you MUST be doing something wrong" and a laundry list of things it could possibly be. It's a real slap in the face to other jobseekers who might read this, who are fine people doing their level best and still having a tough time. And it's not like every employed person is perfect, so why is perfection expected from jobseekers?
1 - There will always be someone better than you. Therefore doing your best, may still be not good enough compared with other people in your industry. And therefore, it's a good time to continue improving yourself. You could have been the best of the best, but if you stand still, others will catch up, eventually. When you get hired, it just means you've met more of the criteria than anyone else. If you're not getting hired, it means that there are folks out there than can check off more of the criteria than you can.

2 - We're throwing out suggestions on what improvements can be made, not what you're doing wrong. The improvements are basically things that could help you close the gap to allow you to meet more of the criteria that the interviewers are expecting, and therefore come out better than other candidates. The fact that you're not getting callbacks, means that interviewers are selecting other candidates, meaning that others have met more of the criteria than you. Which goes back to #1.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:25 pm
He needs to ask MikeShen what to do since Mike says you can make good money with any degrees as long as he works and network hard.
That's true, networking trumps all but most people are not very good at it
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1944 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
enwhyRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:18 pm
1 - There will always be someone better than you. Therefore doing your best, may still be not good enough compared with other people in your industry. And therefore, it's a good time to continue improving yourself. You could have been the best of the best, but if you stand still, others will catch up, eventually. When you get hired, it just means you've met more of the criteria than anyone else. If you're not getting hired, it means that there are folks out there than can check off more of the criteria than you can.

2 - We're throwing out suggestions on what improvements can be made, not what you're doing wrong. The improvements are basically things that could help you close the gap to allow you to meet more of the criteria that the interviewers are expecting, and therefore come out better than other candidates. The fact that you're not getting callbacks, means that interviewers are selecting other candidates, meaning that others have met more of the criteria than you. Which goes back to #1.
To sum it all up, he's not good enough.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
blitzforce wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:32 pm
To sum it all up, he's not good enough.
Oh, I didn't realize you were an expert in computational fluid dynamics.

I'll be sure to tell my other struggling classmates that they are just not good enough. Also ugly, etc.
[OP]
May 12, 2011
263 posts
37 upvotes
TORONTO
enwhyRFD wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:18 pm

LOL you think we live in a meritocracy.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1805 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:25 pm

It's a shame this thread is turning into "you MUST be doing something wrong" and a laundry list of things it could possibly be. It's a real slap in the face to other jobseekers who might read this, who are fine people doing their level best and still having a tough time. And it's not like every employed person is perfect, so why is perfection expected from jobseekers?
Sometimes it is out of your control and its not your fault. That means you are going to have to work hard and think outside of the box.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4526 posts
495 upvotes
There are no easy answers but you need to quickly ramp up your job hunting skills and improve your mindset (stop the freaking out). Your really going to have to work at it.

Workout, both physically and mentally. It will help you clear your mind and just make you feel better. Start a program at home if you don't want to go to a gym. Calisthenics would be a good start and requires no equipment - search youtube.

If your getting interviews but no hits then try improving your interview skills, Deniz Sasal is very good: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN_zEe ... o3g/videos

If your not getting interviews then may be it's your resume or general approach to job seeking, there's quite a few resources but you can start here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/#6f04aa07190e

Get on LinkedIn and start following people in your field and follow people with a positive outlook on life (Joshua Miller and James Altucher, there are many others), again, it will help you on your down days.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:20 pm
Unlikely. I already posted this:
My experience is that Canadians are so polite they won't tell you the truth.

If the company was genuinely happy with you the agent would be falling over themselves to recruit you...

Sorry about that, but that is my suspicion.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
Password wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 3:35 pm
2 months? @pinkpearl, I'm afraid you're just at the beginning of what may prove to be a very very long search, friend.

My story: I'm late-40s. My marketing career was going swimmingly (2005 T4 was six figures) until 2006 when everything went off the rails -- laid off/hired/laid off/hired/laid off. I couldn't catch a break. I had to resort to service industry jobs for 10 years while never giving up. I sent out literally hundreds of resumes, and went on dozens of interviews. I started my own consulting company, but contracts were few and far between, and one client stiffed me for 2 months work.

After 10 years, I finally landed a gig that got me back into the tax bracket I was in back in 2005.

To answer your question, " What do you do when NOTHING seems to work?" Well, you do whatever you have to do to pay your bills, feed your kids and keep yourself sane. Pare down your lifestyle (cancel subscriptions, renegotiate TV/cell phone, eat chicken instead of steak, etc.). Work out every day (exercise is essential to keep your blood chemistry right). Send resumes every day (Indeed/Workopolis/Ladders etc. will refresh listings frequently. Many are BS, but the gem is in there... you just have to ferret it out).

Most importantly (and most difficult) is to keep smiling through it. I had a very hard time with that, and I think that's part of the reason why it took me 10 years to break the cycle. It wasn't until I really changed my life-view that things started to turn around for me.

It sucks. And it isn't going to get better for many of us, particular those of us in the middle of life. We're too expensive, and younger supervisors/managers are threatened by experience. The bottom line is you gotta work, and you gotta bring in some cash somehow.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.
Upvoted - great contribution
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 1:48 pm
It's a slang for 'doxxing' , a term popular in the Twitch video game streaming community. It means anonymous user(s) will attempt to find the name, address, etc. of target victim and make it public. This can often lead to 'Swatting', which is basically call the police for false reasons. There has been many incidents where streamers are playing video games live, only for their front door knocked down and a team of SWAT/police raid the building. People suck.
How do they find those details out?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
201 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:09 pm
Most people have the manners not to call someone ugly, too old, etc in person. Of course, if that does happen, the only proper response it to just take it. Even if they SAY they like you, you shouldn't believe it.
To be fair to Gee, Gee wasn't attacking you as I read it. But I understand and recognize that you feel s/he did insult you and you felt the urge to speak back.

Good luck with your job search, I know things can be stressful and empathize to that degree. My references are all in AB.

Cheers!
Last edited by springdays on Nov 8th, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.