• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 10:12 pm
Jul 7, 2013
835 posts
357 upvotes
North York
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:05 pm

OK then, my field is computational fluid dynamics.
Do you have to get a job in computation fluid dynamics? I know there are tons of municipal storm water management jobs right now. Granted I'm sure you need to know a couple essential softwares but I'm sure it'll be a walk in the park for you.
Jan 11, 2017
86 posts
25 upvotes
OP. With such a specialized field, keeping tabs on available jobs and who is awarded them should not be difficult. For the most recent short-term job, did the employer re-hire for that role? Obviously it wasn't you, if they did, but who did they hire and why. Knowing this information can give you an indication if you're "missing" something. If not, then I'd look at transferable skills and use a multi pronged approach, apply to the specialized field and any jobs where your skills are transferable.

I'm speaking from experience here and we are of the same generation.. I'm starting to see "light" at the end of the tunnel now, after almost 1.5yrs hitting the bricks. Just some perspective.. Over that time I've learned:

- Having the right CV in front of the right person. I'm tallking about what goes in and out of the CV, I must have 20 different formats of varying degrees of previous work experience detail. You need to carefully read the job description and address all the talking points directly in your CV. CV's alone don't get you hired..
- When submitting CV's, make sure your email and LinkedIn profile are URL's so the reader only has to click on a link to reach out.
- Networking and reaching out to anyone relevant in your field and out. This includes collegues you've lost touch with. Word of mouth and your "professional reputation" work in your favor.
- Contact, register and interview with multiple staffing agencies for both your field of study and those jobs where your skills are transferable.
- Spend time on your LinkedIn profile.. It's important what you put in there and leave out.
- Keep in contact with your peer network.. expand your peer network through LinkedIn.. build your network. Will previous employers write a "recommendation" for you in LinkedIn?
- You've been in the working world for over 20yrs.. use that experience and contacts and most importantly network.. network.. network...
- Take less than desired jobs.. to bridge the gap until you can find a job in your field.

Know that it's tough out there for anyone in their 50's. It ain't easy... there's no silver bullet.
Dec 15, 2015
128 posts
53 upvotes
RH, ON
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:08 am

What do you do when NOTHING seems to work?
Expand your horizons. You have a master in an exact field that clearly wants nothing to do with you in the region your searching.

- You need to either keep grinding and hope you land something, it may be time to lower your salary expectations just to work again.
- Relocate
- Look into another field that your skills transfer over to, a quick google search of your listed field makes me believe you have a strong math background.

You're 50, unless you are getting head hunted it's likely going to be a long grind.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1934 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:54 pm
Oh, I didn't realize you were an expert in computational fluid dynamics.

I'll be sure to tell my other struggling classmates that they are just not good enough. Also ugly, etc.
Did I say I was an expert in your field? Based on your tone, you're the expert, yet no one wants to hire you. You may think your previous employers think you're good but they may just be nice and doesn't want to hurt your ego and hand you a gift card when you left.
Apr 8, 2006
705 posts
143 upvotes
Why would some of you assume that the employers know the op's age? They do not have a crystal ball unless you tell them your age. 50 isn't that old. If you didn't get a job it probably got to do with your interview skills more than anything. Having the most experience doesn't mean jack. Employer also want someone who is the right fit in their work environment. It's a combination of everything.
Last edited by xpressmerchant on Nov 9th, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1119 posts
286 upvotes
Alberta
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:54 pm
Oh, I didn't realize you were an expert in computational fluid dynamics.

I'll be sure to tell my other struggling classmates that they are just not good enough. Also ugly, etc.
Wow OP just read through this thread for the first time and it reads like someone talking to someone who has a problem but doesn’t want to admit it. Always deflecting, attacking, justifying all while providing very limited to no information to anyone to help you.

Since you don’t really provide details here is what I have learned about your job search.

1) if you are not getting any calls back for jobs that are posted. It’s one of a few things, your resume is not getting passed the screening process for whatever reason, the job doesn’t really exist and they are just accumulating resumes to build up their database of candidates, they see your experience and know that they will have to pay too much. So essentially u are over qualified.

If it’s a supply and demand thing you may have to look in other areas of the country or world.

2) you are getting interviews but it’s not leading to something. This could be anything, you could interview poorly, or you interview well but someone was just better. Lack of cultural fit, or they just didn’t like he shoes you had on that day. It could be anything!

You also state that 95% of the people in your program are employed. But they could be in their jobs or companies for years in which case it’s a supply and demand thing. What you should be looking for is those that have been laid off or looking for work, how many of them were able to secure a new relevant job. This will then answer the supply and demand part.

In any event good luck.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2427 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:00 pm
Ah, that old gambit. "I'll just insult you in several different ways until you react and that will prove you're actually terrible."
So OP starts a thread, providing little/no information and asks for opinions on something.
People provide opinions and feedback and OP gets hostile, defensive and angry.

Maybe that's your clue, OP.
You're unable to take criticism or feedback.
Why ask a question you don't actually want any feedback on?! If you want a Dr Phil moral support thread, you'll get more of that in the Parenting forum!
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
It's true that people are very nice on the Parenting forum :D
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1176 posts
110 upvotes
Well... this backfired on OP so hard...

Here's some advice that is tailored to OP:

Don't worry. You are doing nothing wrong. It's just bad luck. Just keep on doing whatever it is you are doing. Your time will come.

:rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
1266 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe a change in your resume will work?
Mar 4, 2010
371 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Op, if you are in computational fluid dynamics, its most likely that you'll be in the civil engineering field. There are plenty of jobs, maybe not to your exact specific wants, but there are jobs... especially in the GTA. Large companies such Stantec, WSP, AECOM, Aecon, CH2M, Parsons, Hatch, are always hiring those. Same goes with the Regions, Muncicipalities etc. Even go to second tier engineering companies like Contech, Cole, Civica, GHD, Exp+, Burnside... the list goes on and on.

Each job is unique if its a posted job, think about spending the 10-15 minutes to adjust your resume and cover letter for each application, don't send out generic one size fits all. If you know anyone personally in HR or recruiting, seek out their advice on resume building, i did that 5 years ago and it prevented my resume from hitting the circular filing cabinet (garbage bin) at companies.

As for your 'temp' job that you received glowing reviews... the only glowing review that counts from a temp job is being hired on permanently. Anything else is just putting on a good face not to insult you. Dont take my comment as an insult to you, this is the truth and fact. I'm a manager in finance and have had interns/temps etc and even if they're not that great but got the job done I still take them out to lunch and thank them for their time. The card is only worth the paper that its printed on.

If you know some of those 95% that have been hired, call them, use them to find yourself a job. Don't feel bad about it because most companies have bonuses for referrals so they'll want to get you hired.

Good luck in your job junt
May 8, 2007
728 posts
146 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
I was in a similar situation as OP. I think age discrimination is a big factor and it can start even before age 50. If the job applicant is the same age or older than the supervisor, the supervisor may see the applicant as a possible competition causing problems for the super's future career path. They would rather hire a younger person who will clearly be no competition.

If OP was laid off from the last full time job that can be another factor. Layoffs are unfortunately a common occurrence and can happen to anyone for no fault of their own. But many people will incorrectly assume there is something wrong with the laid off person.
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:08 am
I'm basically freaking out right now. I'm going through the most difficult job search of my life - and I'm 50, so that's a long time. I've got more skills, experience, etc than ever, I have a new master's degree in the exact field I'm applying to, and I haven't gotten a callback in over 2 months. Zero, zip, nada.

I've followed all the job search advice, and I've gotten many jobs over the years, so I don't think I'm doing anything terribly wrong. I had a very successful short-term contract over the summer, so as far as I can tell I can still do a job, get on with people, and so on. I've run out of ideas.

What do you do when NOTHING seems to work?
2 months is not a long time at all. Its the norm, not the exception, especially for your niche field & high level position you are applying for. Even Low level & Service industry & retail type of jobs take longer to fill up in Canada than that !

If it wasn't the norm, so many people wouldn't be on EI in Canada.

Don't stress out, keep on applying & collect EI in the time being. Holiday season is coming up, very few companies are hiring right now, except for seasonal type of retail jobs/warehouse jobs.

You might be overqualified ( not under qualified ) for some positions you are applying for. You might have to dumb down your resume a bit and apply for a lower position & you will get in.

I know a girl with a Master's Degree who used to hide her Master's degree on her resume, when she applied for some lower positions & almost always they would at least call her for an interview.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3897 posts
1102 upvotes
pinkpearl wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 11:38 am
I've done that already. In fact, that's how I got the summer short-term contract, and the client was very happy. As in - taking me out for lunch on the last day with a gift card and an offer to give a "glowing" reference happy. That same agency currently has a posting in my field that I've applied to online and called them about, and they're ignoring me. This is part of why I'm going so mental - even doing well for the same company isn't enough to get a callback!
Protip: recruiters and agencies will post jobs they are not currently filling. They do however want people in their books with the skills so that when the job actually comes they just call up people with the skills.

As someone that is actively seeking work, it's BS.
Mar 29, 2012
971 posts
140 upvotes
Vancouver
agencies are the most efficient way now other than that its a shit competition out there