• Dec 6th, 2017 9:58 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
820 upvotes
Grimsby

Most Disappointing Games of 2017?

I didn't want to clutter up the GOTY thread a lot.

I think mine would have to be Mass Effect: Andromeda. The facial animations at launch are low hanging fruit but putting that aside, it had a ton of money and time behind it but managed to be very tedious and bland. The writing was very poor compared to the previous titles. There was a lot of padding and time filler in the form of "exploration" that was essentially meaningless. Despite introducing a new setting they only incorporated a single new alien race and practically retread others. The combat lacks serious depth and instead of opening up more options for teammate AI they actually reduced it. It had a terrible UI and a convoluted crafting system that was totally unnecessary. A friend of mine likened the game to mediocre landscape art, pretty at times but ultimately lifeless.

I'm sure its a case of high expectations mixed with average gameplay but either way I was incredibly disappointed with the game.

What were your biggest disappointments of 2017?
22 replies
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
Posted my thoughts in the console gaming thread, but Nier Automata was mine.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1207 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't mind Mass Effect Andromeda. I rather enjoyed it. But yeah I hear for most people, it wasn't that good.

Even though it had pretty much universal acclaim, I was kinda disappointed in Zelda Breath of the wild. I couldn't bring myself to finish it yet (some day.. some day). Not that it was bad, but it didn't do it for me.

I haven't played it, but I had high hopes for the new Need for Speed but it had pretty bad reviews
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Apr 28, 2013
103 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Forza 7, been playing since forza 1 and was so excited to finally play on pc. It's so poorly optimized its basically unplayable for me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
gabe3366 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 7:04 pm
Forza 7, been playing since forza 1 and was so excited to finally play on pc. It's so poorly optimized its basically unplayable for me.
Haven't played it yet but it sucks that I haven't heard anything good about this game as I was looking forward to it. Weird that it's poorly optimized considering Apex ran great and apparently Horizon 3 is good now after the patches. Still waiting for a good discount Forza Horizon 3.
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:29 am
Haven't played it yet but it sucks that I haven't heard anything good about this game as I was looking forward to it. Weird that it's poorly optimized considering Apex ran great and apparently Horizon 3 is good now after the patches. Still waiting for a good discount Forza Horizon 3.
Horizon 3 has always been good. Even since launch.

Unless you mean on PC.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
LinkPersona wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 1:46 pm
Horizon 3 has always been good. Even since launch.

Unless you mean on PC.
It always ran fine at 30fps same as the console version but people wanted to play it at 60fps which wasn't easy until the patch in May. Pretty sure the X can't do 60fps in this game either
Nov 1, 2005
960 posts
86 upvotes
Forza Apex and Horizon 3 ran poorly on PC at launch but they were finally able to eliminate the frame drops, maybe they will be able to do the same with 7. I didn't end up getting Forza 7, mainly because I already had 6 but also they changed the progression in 7. Cars are now segmented off and you can only drive them once you get to a certain level, even if you have enough currency to buy them. So you kind of have to grind out driving cars you don't want to before you can get to the ones you want.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1194 posts
46 upvotes
Markham
Surprised no mention of battlefront 2! Unless everyone already anticipated disappointment which is not a far stretch considering EA
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 6:38 pm
Even though it had pretty much universal acclaim, I was kinda disappointed in Zelda Breath of the wild. I couldn't bring myself to finish it yet (some day.. some day). Not that it was bad, but it didn't do it for me.
I haven't finished it either, not because it was disappointing but because it's absolutely overwhelming. I rarely ever spend more than 20-30 hours on a game continuously and spending 40-50 hours on BOTW was barely enough to scratch the surface. I had a great time with it but I just can't keep playing the same game for 100 hours straight and moved on to playing other games.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1814 posts
571 upvotes
Can people who talk about forza running liek shit post specs?

I run Forza Horizon 3 at ultra everything 1440p and get smooth high fps. looks absolutely stunning and runs like butter. never crashed/glitched once.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14649 posts
1117 upvotes
Toronto
What about No Man Sky. That had such bad press.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6810 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Kyle_87 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 4:22 pm
Surprised no mention of battlefront 2! Unless everyone already anticipated disappointment which is not a far stretch considering EA
It's great graphically and fun to play. It's just the loot box that is the issue.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6048 posts
1320 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 8:49 am
What about No Man Sky. That had such bad press.
1) Mass Effect Andromeda is so bad that any future plans for that franchise are questionable.
2) Sonic Forces
3) Yooka-Laylee - hyped and one of the most heavily funded Kickstarter projects that was supposed to be a Banjo-Kazooie successor.

On the flip side, there have been a lot of games that have far exceeded expectations this year:

Tales of Berseria - the best "Tales of" game in the franchise.
NieR Automata
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nioh
Cuphead - ended up being XBox One's best exclusive game in 2017.

Everyone already had high expectations for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Persona 5 and those all delivered.