• Dec 6th, 2017 9:58 am
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14615 posts
1111 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 10:58 am

1) Mass Effect Andromeda is so bad that any future plans for that franchise are questionable.
2) Sonic Forces
3) Yooka-Laylee - hyped and one of the most heavily funded Kickstarter projects that was supposed to be a Banjo-Kazooie successor.

On the flip side, there have been a lot of games that have far exceeded expectations this year:

Tales of Berseria - the best "Tales of" game in the franchise.
NieR Automata
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nioh
Cuphead - ended up being XBox One's best exclusive game in 2017.

Everyone already had high expectations for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Persona 5 and those all delivered.

Cuphead is on Steam, isn't it? You mean timed exclusive? I'd also vote Hellblade as a sleeper hit since you're voting for surprise hits.

It's one of those games that break grounds like Crysis did for graphics. Graphically Hellblade is second to none but it's also the direction they used to guide the character through the game. It is nothing we've seen done before.

Mass Effect has never appealed to me as a 'get in there, shoot'em up' type of gamer although I do enjoy games like LA Noir, Alan Wake, etc. I just have an inexplicable aversion to Star Trek like games for some reason. Love watching the shows but playing it, my interest wanes really fast.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1207 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 8:49 am
What about No Man Sky. That had such bad press.
That was a 2016 game.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14615 posts
1111 upvotes
Toronto
LKane1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 5:13 pm
That was a 2016 game.
LOL, I had no idea. I guess it must've came out in the holiday season and carried over. I might pick it up when it drops below $5. It's a game worth no more than that, imo.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1207 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:56 am
LOL, I had no idea. I guess it must've came out in the holiday season and carried over. I might pick it up when it drops below $5. It's a game worth no more than that, imo.
Yeah I agree, but I've been told it's got a lot of gameplay updates that makes it a lot better than before (but none of the "promised" claims from the beginning). I played the vanilla version only, and it was meh.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
I've played the updated NMS and its still totally underwhelming IMO but I think expectations are important too. I just don't like the gameplay loop in that game at all, its mind numbing. It's like they looked at old 4X space games on the PC and decided to make a different version of one where they embraced every potential gameplay annoyance. Everything takes longer than it should, you have a lot of tedious tasks to perform, inventory tetris, etc etc. It's a bunch of filler content chained together with zero passion behind it.

A friend of mine mentioned a disappointing game I had totally forgotten about on the weekend: For Honor. 1vs1 feels really good in this game but everything else felt like a total afterthought. Balance is very poor and the group combat feels like pointless flailing, things fail to register, etc. I've been meaning to revisit it but there's just so many other good games out that I haven't bothered.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4832 posts
648 upvotes
calgary
I totally forgot about Yooka-Laylee. BK is one of my favorite games of all time and it still holds up remarkably well. I was eagerly anticipating the spiritual successor to it. Unfortunately this game kind of sucked, it had a few of the ingredients that made BK great but it adopted way to many bad cues from Banjo Tooie. Also outside of the first world/hub world every other world felt a little lifeless and boring. Given how excited I initially was for it this, it is easily my most disappointing game of the year.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
8948 posts
328 upvotes
Mississauga
Battlefront 2
RFD 36-0-0
Ebay 20-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2048 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
For me, it's Battlefront 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda. Both games I was initially excited for, preordered and then subsequently traded in within 2 weeks.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger