• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2019 11:10 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
107 posts
48 upvotes

Most efficient internet set up for my needs

Looking for some RFD input on this!

I am in a certain office once a week for a few hours and require internet; it does not have to be blazing fast, just reliable. Not data heavy either.

Setting up a proper business internet account seems like overkill since I am only there for such little time. I will either be using a laptop or small form factor desktop.

What are my best options? Mobile hot spot through my phone? Mobile internet usb sticks?
8 replies
Nov 9, 2011
536 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
Share wifi with a neighbour, pay them a few dollars a month.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8007 posts
4734 upvotes
Edmonton
Define "most efficient". I've tethered through my phone before, and it works. Don't know that I'd want to do that all the time (seems/feels slow, even with an LTE connection and an iPhone X), but it doesn't cost me anything extra as long as I stay in my data limits. If you go for anything else, it will probably cost you money for hardware and/or another internet account. You could at least try it for nothing, and worry about upgrading if it didn't work well.

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19283 posts
5530 upvotes
Define not heavy.

I'm not sure what @CNeufeld has for issues, but LTE speeds are great for me. Latency isn't as good as wired but it's not horribly bad. It's good enough for even VoIP.

It's expensive at $5-100/GB (3GB/$15 Fido at the low end or $10/100MB at the high end) but still might be cheaper if you're very light.

That said, depending on where the office is, I'd also ask a neighbor.
Or better yet, if the office is anywhere near something like a Shaw hotspot, sign up with Shaw at home and buy a high powered wifi card.
Jan 22, 2014
106 posts
42 upvotes
Guelph
I am setting up a new office recently and confused about the internet plans they have.

Business plans are much more expensive than home internet plans. I was wondering is it illegal to use home internet and home phone on a commercial address, or it is the provider who has restricted the connection on those properties? It's just internet and phones which really does not make sense for me.

Every time when I call them once they heard "office" or "Business" the price suddenly goes up while the price on their website still remains as the same as residential service for the same address.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1549 posts
869 upvotes
Throw a 4G LTE WWAN card in your laptop, and get it activated on one of the $15/month tablet plans that are discussed extensively on RFD.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8007 posts
4734 upvotes
Edmonton
hnxy99 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 6:01 pm
I am setting up a new office recently and confused about the internet plans they have.

Business plans are much more expensive than home internet plans. I was wondering is it illegal to use home internet and home phone on a commercial address, or it is the provider who has restricted the connection on those properties? It's just internet and phones which really does not make sense for me.

Every time when I call them once they heard "office" or "Business" the price suddenly goes up while the price on their website still remains as the same as residential service for the same address.
Illegal? Probably not, if you're honest when you get it set up. It could be fraud if you lied, however. You would have to check the T&C (Terms and Conditions) of the contract you're signing. I would suspect that they know they commercial addresses though, and if you try to get personal service set up at a commercial location through their website, you will get a call-back from a CSR to remedy the situation (i.e. new price given). If you're setting up a business in the basement of your house, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Their remedy, if you were caught, would probably be giving you an option to upgrade to business class services or have your service cut off. They wouldn't bother to press charges or take you to small claims court over that.

C
Jan 22, 2014
106 posts
42 upvotes
Guelph
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 7:37 pm
Illegal? Probably not, if you're honest when you get it set up. It could be fraud if you lied, however. You would have to check the T&C (Terms and Conditions) of the contract you're signing. I would suspect that they know they commercial addresses though, and if you try to get personal service set up at a commercial location through their website, you will get a call-back from a CSR to remedy the situation (i.e. new price given). If you're setting up a business in the basement of your house, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Their remedy, if you were caught, would probably be giving you an option to upgrade to business class services or have your service cut off. They wouldn't bother to press charges or take you to small claims court over that.

C
Yes, thanks. Checking T&C is a good point. Here is what I found from Carrytel:
By purchasing the residential VoIP plan, you agree not to use the Service in any way that is beyond normal residential purpose. Any use of the Service(s) for professional, commercial or governmental activities, including but not limited to: home office, business, sales, telemarketing, autodialing, fax broadcasting, or any other activities that would not represent personal and residential use, will be deemed as non-residential use. Such judgements will solely be at the discretion of Carry Telecom, in which several factors may be considered including but not limited to: usage, volumes, volume of calls, high-rate premium/special services and/or personal prefixed numbers, the number of destinations called per month, continuous calling or dialing activity, or any other factors that is not consistent with normal residential use.
sigh...I do find some great business plans from Costco and Cogeco but they require a 3-year contract. If you cancel early you have to pay 50-75% of the monthly payment for the rest of the months on the contract.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8007 posts
4734 upvotes
Edmonton
hnxy99 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 10:08 pm
Yes, thanks. Checking T&C is a good point. Here is what I found from Carrytel:

sigh...I do find some great business plans from Costco and Cogeco but they require a 3-year contract. If you cancel early you have to pay 50-75% of the monthly payment for the rest of the months on the contract.
Well, if you’re not going to be abusing their service beyond “normal residential uses”, you don’t have to worry about it. Doesn’t seem like you have much to lose.

C