• Feb 16th, 2019 12:01 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1155 posts
93 upvotes

Most ideal way to get a new phone?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, if not, if it can be moved to the proper forum I'd appreciate it.

I'm on the BYOD plan with Rogers $60/10gb. I need a new phone, but the ones I were looking at were easily $1000 or more. I was wondering if it's better to just buy the phone outright or join a new carrier and pay a higher monthly to get a new phone.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19334 posts
5547 upvotes
I think most people are abusing Koodo, but I usually just buy outright.
Mar 7, 2011
21 posts
36 upvotes
Edmonton
shadowslaya wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:35 am
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, if not, if it can be moved to the proper forum I'd appreciate it.

I'm on the BYOD plan with Rogers $60/10gb. I need a new phone, but the ones I were looking at were easily $1000 or more. I was wondering if it's better to just buy the phone outright or join a new carrier and pay a higher monthly to get a new phone.
Maybe Koodo will match that price if you switch to them. You could call them and ask. Koodo has the best deals for phones. It would be worth it to switch to them. People who abuse them are dinks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1155 posts
93 upvotes
I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks.

edit:
why would this get dislikes? is it common knowledge that I'm missing/lacking?
Oct 14, 2014
444 posts
351 upvotes
Southern Ontario
shadowslaya wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:20 am
I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks.

edit:
why would this get dislikes? is it common knowledge that I'm missing/lacking?
Rogers is probably the most hated carrier in the country, and the proposed alternative (Koodo) is certainly the most discussed carrier on RFD.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1155 posts
93 upvotes
I spoke to Koodo, they said they can't give me the same plan I have now and how to get any credits/modifications or whatnot I'd need to be a customer for at least a year and in good standings. They have a plan right now that's almost the same, it's $63/mo but it's 5gbs. The phone I want would be $550 upfront and $15/mo. Not sure if I should do this or not. I like having 10gbs, but at the same time I really need a new phone.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5049 posts
985 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What i do is buy outright from BST here on rfd and go with zoomer for 36$ 4gb. If you dont need calling, yu can always go with fido's 3gb tablet plan then use fongo for voice
Feb 13, 2015
836 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Buy phones cheap from those on rfd that have good score. Or sealed they got from a carrier update. They usually sell for a few hundred less than retail. Great deals
😎Thanks RFD😎