Pets

Most Loving Cat Breeds

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2018 8:23 pm
Tags:
Mar 11, 2017
20 posts
9 upvotes
We got a sphynx. I'm more a dog person, but this cat is the best. It will fetch. Sleep under the covers... very affectionate.
Jan 29, 2018
6 posts
My Bengal is very loving. She loves our son so much that if he's sleeping she would meow at the door to try and get in to sleep with him(not the best as he was a baby)
Banned
Apr 17, 2018
21 posts
1 upvote
I have a Norwegian forest cat and even though he likes being independent at times, he's still a lovebug and demands attention, pets and cuddles :) My first cat and best the one yet. :)
Jan 24, 2018
103 posts
25 upvotes
most loving cat breeds will all be expensive. do you have money to spend on an expensive cat? you're lookinag at $300+ easy

most loving i'd say are russian blue, siamese, and sphynx.

i have had the opportunity to be around almost all cat breeds.
Jul 7, 2017
559 posts
180 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
My wife grew up with a whole host of generic cats (DSH + a very few long) but never had cats of her own until last year. We also pet sat several cats. More "affectionate" was what the owners called a part Ragdoll which we now know should be classified as a Ragalong (Ragdoll derivative with looser appearance criteria). Like another poster noted, this one stalked the laps of anyone who sat down.

We got a Ragdoll (bicolour) late last year and another (mitted sealpoint) early this. Very affectionate though one generally prefers to be near you than on you. Solo, they might be good follow-you-around companion animals. And yes, even to the toilet. They seem to like to roll over to get their bellies rubbed (we saw that with other cats at the breeders, not directly related to ours). With more than one, they may be more like cats and play/explore together. They're also not meant to be outside cats. Strictly indoor or only outside with supervision.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3569 posts
515 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:08 am
most loving cat breeds will all be expensive. do you have money to spend on an expensive cat? you're lookinag at $300+ easy

most loving i'd say are russian blue, siamese, and sphynx.

i have had the opportunity to be around almost all cat breeds.
Times that $300 by 5 if you want a good purebred Russian blue, sphynx, Ragdoll etc
Jul 7, 2017
559 posts
180 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
swales wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 10:56 am
Times that $300 by 5 if you want a good purebred Russian blue, sphynx, Ragdoll etc
We found what appears to be a good local breeder who sells Ragdolls cheap ($500 and up) - enough for us to buy a second cat. Almost like buying something from Walmart or RCSS vs at Birks. No "how are those first snuggles going" or anything like that.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3569 posts
515 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 12:22 am
We found what appears to be a good local breeder who sells Ragdolls cheap ($500 and up) - enough for us to buy a second cat. Almost like buying something from Walmart or RCSS vs at Birks. No "how are those first snuggles going" or anything like that.
$500 is crazy cheap for a Ragdoll, hopefully it is a good breeder and not like a cat mill and has good lineage. I'm guessing not a registered breeder?
Jul 7, 2017
559 posts
180 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
swales wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 9:09 pm
$500 is crazy cheap for a Ragdoll, hopefully it is a good breeder and not like a cat mill and has good lineage. I'm guessing not a registered breeder?
I wouldn't say it's a mill but they lots of cats. Started off breeding sheep (registered Dorsets - which they still do), then Pyrennean dogs (still breed these) to guard the flocks they used to graze, and then ragdolls which they've been doing for 20+ years. The owner frequently shows a few of her cats which have won quite a few regional and placed highly in some international competitions (the sires of our cats were supreme grand champions FWIW). We got an older (7 1/2 month old) cat from her that she was raising to be a show cat until he started getting spots on his paws for $850. They claim to use only three lineages and test the breeding stock for a few of the common hereditary genetic defects. Member of Ragdoll Fanciers Worldwide.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2732 posts
1199 upvotes
Vancouver
We just adopted our 5-year old domestic medium hair cat. For the first few days she was super cuddly (maybe because she was in a new environment and felt comforted being near us?), now she is totally aloof, lol. She'll only come to me when it's feeding time, otherwise she has become a "2-pet cat", where she'll let me pet her twice then she walks off. She used to like to sit on the coach right next to me and purr, but now she prefers to sit by the window away from us. Any tips on how to get her more affectionate again?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1762 posts
495 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
You could try figuring out what she likes to lie on and/or sit on and put that beside you. We had one cat who loved to sleep in a particular box, so hubby would always sit with the box beside him. Also, if you aren't doing it, you could play with her more. She's a young cat and should love to play. Do you know her provenance? Kudoos on adopting a five-year-old cat, but keep in mind that she might have some habits based on her former home and how she was treated there. Maybe she didn't get attention. :(

You could try whacking her with your hand, kind of on her rear upper thighs near her tail. Not hard, but firmly. Most cats *love* that. I don't know why. Like this in the first few clips:

"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Jan 24, 2018
103 posts
25 upvotes
swales wrote:
Jun 26th, 2018 10:56 am
You need to calm down and stop posting information that isn't true.

Purebred russian blues are not $1500 and neither are Ragdolls

The only (common) cat that goes for that kind of money is a hairless sphynx which you're looking at anywhere between $1200-$1500 CAD.
You can get a purebred Russian blue for around $700-$1000 CAD

With that said, you can get lucky, like my niece for instance, whom responded to an ad on Kijiji for a free sphynx (but not purebred that was an adult cat).
Jul 7, 2017
559 posts
180 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
jimmysack wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 1:04 am

Not sure about where you are but there is a "closed, cageless, micro-cattery" in the Victoria area that wanted just about as much for a spayed, pet quality Ragdoll than what one could get a breeding show quality cat from the breeder we got our cat from.

A review of Ragdoll prospective buyer's site seems to indicate a pretty (forgive the pun) "catty" attitude of some supposed prospective buyer-reviewers towards some breeders (like the one we bought our Ragdolls from).
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3569 posts
515 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 1:04 am

The only (common) cat that goes for that kind of money is a hairless sphynx which you're looking at anywhere between $1200-$1500 CAD.
You can get a purebred Russian blue for around $700-$1000 CAD

With that said, you can get lucky, like my niece for instance, whom responded to an ad on Kijiji for a free sphynx (but not purebred that was an adult cat).
What's your problem? You're the one that needs to calm down and breath...lol You clearly aren't buying good breed cats as Russian blues and Ragdolls can easily go for that much with people on waiting lists to pay it and more and not on kijiji. Never met a reputable breeder that sells on kijiji.