Investing

Most oversold dividend stocks right now?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 9:21 pm
Apr 23, 2009
817 posts
124 upvotes
AD is stuck at below $20 for a long time now. Although I don't see dividend cut ahead (at least not in neat term), the stock hasn't moved much in past 2 years.
RiCHC3 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:24 pm
Alaris Royalty (AD) is 8.89%
Altagas (ALA) is a bit over 7.55% and is somewhat capped by its purchase of WGL Holding in the US which is expected to be approved H1 next year. If you buy this, grab the subscription receipts which are cheaper than normal shares, still have the dividend, if the acquisition fails you get $31 a share, if it succeeds then you just converted to common shares at a discount.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1483 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
ruchir wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:10 pm
AD is stuck at below $20 for a long time now. Although I don't see dividend cut ahead (at least not in neat term), the stock hasn't moved much in past 2 years.
Not only that but their book value has been dropping too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1116 posts
261 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
I have come across some smaller caps that seem oversold. ZCL and BOS
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1700 posts
269 upvotes
Brampton
I think enb for sure (I own it) if you look at its historic price/dividend yield and its performance compared to other similar stocks/the market as a whole over the last 12 - 18 months.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6889 posts
1483 upvotes
Toronto
Edit: Ah, my bad. Forgot AAV is not a dividend stock. So the following is just an oversold stock.
==
AAV went down the last few days, then this news today:

Globe/wire say Advantage Oil seen as survivor

2017-12-08 09:12 ET - In the News

The Globe and Mail reports in its Friday edition that Advantage Oil & Gas is one of the best-performing Canadian energy producer since the oil crash three years ago. A Bloomberg dispatch to The Globe says that Advantage owes its success to a concentration on producing natural gas from a prime land position in Alberta's Montney shale formation and production costs that are among the lowest in the industry, chief executive officer Andy Mah told the news agency. Advantage had corporate cash costs of 73 cents per thousand cubic feet of gas equivalent last quarter.

Mr. Mah says that the company was an early adopter of a philosophy that junior and intermediate energy companies need to structure themselves to be able to generate long-term profitability and corporate returns, rather than simply develop an asset and sell themselves to a major within five years. While shares of Advantage are down 7.8 per cent since July, 2014, that is enough to outperform both the energy index and the price of natural gas, which has slid 23 per cent. "There are probably going to be less of those peaks than valleys, and you have to be able to make money in the valleys," Mr. Mah said. Advantange close Thursday at $5.09, down 31 cents.
Feb 26, 2017
326 posts
93 upvotes
KEY is looking pretty oversold to me. Its down about 15% YTD. The stock price that was above 39 as recent as October (currently at 34.50). Results have been pretty good this year, they raised their dividend by 6% and have a 4.87% yield right now (payout is around 70%). They just did a bought deal and I also suspect the price drop is related to the price of natural gas.
Aug 18, 2013
132 posts
45 upvotes
NCR
Chance7652 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:35 am
KEY is looking pretty oversold to me. Its down about 15% YTD. The stock price that was above 39 as recent as October (currently at 34.50). Results have been pretty good this year, they raised their dividend by 6% and have a 4.87% yield right now (payout is around 70%). They just did a bought deal and I also suspect the price drop is related to the price of natural gas.
KEY does look oversold but depending on your parameters for buying the security, volume is quite low comparatively speaking to other oversold stocks. You may have to hold on to that one for awhile.
Feb 26, 2017
326 posts
93 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:03 am
KEY does look oversold but depending on your parameters for buying the security, volume is quite low comparatively speaking to other oversold stocks. You may have to hold on to that one for awhile.
I had decided to sell key a couple months ago due to having too much energy. I was looking for 39 or 40 but it ended up going the other way. I've had KEY for 7 years so I should be able to hold it for longer :).
Feb 7, 2014
404 posts
19 upvotes
Seems like the fav ones here - ENF, CJR, and KEY are all still sliding further down ...so good opportunity to buy !
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2046 posts
639 upvotes
Flowerp wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 12:27 pm
Seems like the fav ones here - ENF, CJR, and KEY are all still sliding further down ...so good opportunity to buy !
Zig-zagging, I'd say. ENF is still a dollar above its 52 week low; CJR.B is marginally above it. KEY, well, yeah.
Feb 13, 2008
101 posts
19 upvotes
I like ENF and KMI ( Kinder Morgan USA) over Enbridge. I feel KMI has less regulations to deal with under Mr. T.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
4450 posts
2826 upvotes
Montreal
It isn't a coincidence that most of the stocks being discussed as 'oversold' dividend stocks are in the energy sector. An 'oversold' dividend stock that sends yields higher implies risk is increasing. This sector is out of control with debt to sustain paying these dividends. Anything yielding 5%+ is implying increasing risk. Anyone who bought some of the stocks mentioned here a few months ago has seen years of dividends evaporate through loss of capital. Instead look at other sectors outside of energy, HLF, BOS, CCL, GS, MTL, BEI.UN (well off the high PLUS just cut the dividend so carries a lot less risk) that are off their highs but still growing the payout with comfortable balance sheets.
Feb 26, 2017
326 posts
93 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 4:40 pm
It isn't a coincidence that most of the stocks being discussed as 'oversold' dividend stocks are in the energy sector. An 'oversold' dividend stock that sends yields higher implies risk is increasing. This sector is out of control with debt to sustain paying these dividends. Anything yielding 5%+ is implying increasing risk. Anyone who bought some of the stocks mentioned here a few months ago has seen years of dividends evaporate through loss of capital. Instead look at other sectors outside of energy, HLF, BOS, CCL, GS, MTL, BEI.UN (well off the high PLUS just cut the dividend so carries a lot less risk) that are off their highs but still growing the payout with comfortable balance sheets.
The 5% rule seems a pretty arbitrary. I've bought AQN and BIP over at over 5% yields. I've also bought BNS near 5% and there have been times when its been over 5% in the last several years.

Of your stocks BOS seems undervalued. I don't know the other names but I had HLF for a while but I sold it at a small gain after a couple months. Its revenues always seems to be declining and I never felt comfortable owning it.

I think its important to be diversified and I wouldn't buy only pipeline/energy stocks. I still think stocks like ENF, ENB and KEY offer some good value right now.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
4450 posts
2826 upvotes
Montreal
Chance7652 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 6:19 pm
The 5% rule seems a pretty arbitrary. I've bought AQN and BIP over at over 5% yields. I've also bought BNS near 5% and there have been times when its been over 5% in the last several years.

Of your stocks BOS seems undervalued. I don't know the other names but I had HLF for a while but I sold it at a small gain after a couple months. Its revenues always seems to be declining and I never felt comfortable owning it.

I think its important to be diversified and I wouldn't buy only pipeline/energy stocks. I still think stocks like ENF, ENB and KEY offer some good value right now.
Uhh, lol no one ever said buying a 5% yield will mean instant destruction. I picked up IPL at a 9% yield after the income trust correction in 2006. Just means the higher the yield the greater the risk at that particular time. Tons of stocks can temporarily trade in an above average yield in a market correction, including BNS or any financial. Saying you picked up BNS @ 5% or I picked up IPL @ 9% and we survived doesn't change anything. You can buy something such as an ENB/IPL/TRP Brookfield companies @ 6-7% yield as long as this FED charade is allowed to go on and they can lever the balance sheets with unlimited debt (ENB is @ $65 billion) then you take your chances.

Try and pick all the examples you want the reality is when yields are driven up it's a riskier bet, either because of company issues, sector issues or the general market. I'm sure someone will chime in on CJR paying 9% yield for a couple years but that was also once a $25 stock, so there you go. The stocks I mentioned many not be 'undervalued' they are the ones I can think of that are beaten down and well of their highs with safe and still growing yields. You will not find too many undervalued names in this market environment.
Feb 26, 2017
326 posts
93 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 6:56 pm
Uhh, lol no one ever said buying a 5% yield will mean instant destruction. I picked up IPL at a 9% yield after the income trust correction in 2006. Just means the higher the yield the greater the risk at that particular time. Tons of stocks can temporarily trade in an above average yield in a market correction, including BNS or any financial. Saying you picked up BNS @ 5% or I picked up IPL @ 9% and we survived doesn't change anything. You can buy something such as an ENB/IPL/TRP Brookfield companies @ 6-7% yield as long as this FED charade is allowed to go on and they can lever the balance sheets with unlimited debt (ENB is @ $65 billion) then you take your chances.

Try and pick all the examples you want the reality is when yields are driven up it's a riskier bet, either because of company issues, sector issues or the general market. I'm sure someone will chime in on CJR paying 9% yield for a couple years but that was also once a $25 stock, so there you go. The stocks I mentioned many not be 'undervalued' they are the ones I can think of that are beaten down and well of their highs with safe and still growing yields. You will not find too many undervalued names in this market environment.
I guess the key is to decide if the risk the market is pricing in is valid. It still looks to me that some of the pipelines are undervalued.