Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
2245 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto

Most reliable hosting site out there?

I'm looking for a hosting site, and it seems like the dawn of time... none of them are very good. Any recommendations. Site would involve personal business and/or portfolio.

I was thinking of using Godaddy's server for wordpress.

Or perhaps host gator or blue host.
14 replies
Feb 16, 2010
911 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
yogakun wrote: I'm looking for a hosting site, and it seems like the dawn of time... none of them are very good. Any recommendations. Site would involve personal business and/or portfolio.

I was thinking of using Godaddy's server for wordpress.

Or perhaps host gator or blue host.
If it's for Wordpress, host your website on wordpress.com.

Otherwise, I would stick with one of the big guys, like Godaddy or Dreamhost. Unfortunately finding a good shared host isn't easy - they all overload their servers. I just purchased a dedicated and do it all myself.

You can also try AWS. I've been messing around with EC2 and it's actually not difficult to use. It's free for a year too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Most reliable? I'd go with Softlayer.
But they aren't really into web hosting.

Next on my list would be something like AWS.

Also LOL at GoDaddy being on the list.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
2245 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Most reliable? I'd go with Softlayer.
But they aren't really into web hosting.

Next on my list would be something like AWS.

Also LOL at GoDaddy being on the list.
It's no better or different than any other host. Anyone's opinion is perception when it comes to hosting. I've been reading reviews for two years before I made the jump to a personal/professional hosting site. I went with Go daddy's wordpress share hosting account. Give it a try for one year, just paid $10.00 + free dns. I'm pretty sure GoDaddy isn't reliable for higher density traffic sites, which seems to be the major issue with some reviews, but my website only involves people in my circle and employers. Thanks for the AWS recommendation, I didn't know Amazon had a business like this, I'll look into it. It's my first Word Press site, so I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. I've yet to even install use the software.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
yogakun wrote: It's no better or different than any other host. Anyone's opinion is perception when it comes to hosting. I've been reading reviews for two years before I made the jump to a personal/professional hosting site. I went with Go daddy's wordpress share hosting account. Give it a try for one year, just paid $10.00 + free dns. I'm pretty sure GoDaddy isn't reliable for higher density traffic sites, which seems to be the major issue with some reviews, but my website only involves people in my circle and employers. Thanks for the AWS recommendation, I didn't know Amazon had a business like this, I'll look into it. It's my first Word Press site, so I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. I've yet to even install use the software.
So why are you asking for recommendations when you've made the decision?
Godaddy is terrible in every sense. They're the equivalent of Walmart for hosting. Actually I'm doing a disservice to Walmart with the comparison.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
WP runs verrrrrryyyyyy slow on their shared hosts. It runs a bit faster on their DreamPress (but it costs a lot more $$$).

I personally found CrocWeb works well in terms of speed (for shared hosts).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
yogakun wrote: It's no better or different than any other host. Anyone's opinion is perception when it comes to hosting.
Apparently backed a quality data center and a good bandwidth provider is now opinion rather than fact. Why are you even asking for the most reliable then?
Pay your $10/year to get garbage and call it a day. Reliability doesn't seem to be your main point. Price does.

There's a reason I pay what I do for softlayer. I pay more than $10 per year for IPs.
It is the best.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
willy wrote: WP runs verrrrrryyyyyy slow on their shared hosts. It runs a bit faster on their DreamPress (but it costs a lot more $$$).

I personally found CrocWeb works well in terms of speed (for shared hosts).
It's another good point, keep in mind even if your site is low traffic, if you value your SEO and place in Google world your site needs to render within acceptable time frames. Google and Bing will penalize you if your time to first bite and end to end render time takes a decade (or over 10 seconds in more precise terms). The extent of the penalty largely depends on your competition. Sounds like fear-mongering but I've witnessed this first hand on more than one occasion.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1501 upvotes
Montreal
digital ocean is AMAZING and CHEAP. PM me for a referral for 2 months free.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2234 posts
130 upvotes
+1 for Digital Ocean. Blazing fast. Although ultimately I'd recommend amazon ec2 which I work with everyday. $2500 monthly for 10 vpcs
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
DO is great but it's a self managed vps not for everyone. I think the OP here is more of a novice.
Jan 25, 2015
396 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DigitalOcean is great, but I don't know client would be able to manage LAMP or LEMP, let alone install it.

STAY AWAY FROM BLUEHOST or HOSTGATOR! They're both owned by a company called EIG. They turn good web hosting companies into crap.
http://www.digitalfaq.com/editorials/we ... ig-pt1.htm

Crocweb is very solid! They have servers in Montreal so the site will respond a lot quicker for Canadian users.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
2245 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys for the other recommendations. Go Daddy options is just cheap, I'm trying it out for a year, before I start putting content on. For those that were hostile, bite me.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2234 posts
130 upvotes
I'd actually recommend namecheap for a cheap shared hosting service. The security team there is somewhat decent I had site on there that was getting attacked and they took care of it rather quickly.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2785 posts
356 upvotes
gavindcht wrote: My top choices would be either Hostgator or GoDaddy. They have been around for few years already and I'd say that they have proven themselves already too. Image
Host Gator has good prices but their customer service and technical support is HORRIBLE and I will never go back to them.