Investing

Most Speculative Stocks? (biggest potential upside)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 11:42 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 19, 2017
61 posts
27 upvotes

Most Speculative Stocks? (biggest potential upside)

Hi guys Im looking to add to my portfolio more spec plays.
Any suggestions? I Bought beat up MJ and blockchain stocks already.

Here is a list of my current portfolio (with profit and losses)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Canada Jetlines Ltd
Maricann Group Inc
Antibe Therapeutics Inc
Patriot One Technologies Inc
Global Blockchain Technologies Corp
UrtheCast Corp
Environmental Waste International Inc
ProSmart Enterprises Inc
NV Gold Corp
US Cobalt Inc
eXeBlock Technology Corp
360 Blockchain Inc
Datametrex AI Ltd
HIVE Blockchain
HashChain Technology
48 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8283 posts
2561 upvotes
Toronto
If someone knows the answer to this, they'd be rich (and not on RFD):
Most Speculative Stocks? (biggest potential upside)
[OP]
Newbie
Apr 19, 2017
61 posts
27 upvotes
Im not asking if they will return huge. But with the potential to gain 500-1000%. Like Bitcoin, etc
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1359 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So much better plays in the Canadian small cap thread, I know of most your plays you posted and they already had their massive runs. If you wanna find 500% gains gotta find them companies when they are a lot smaller imo. Gonna be a lot easier to realize those gains
Sr. Member
Jul 14, 2013
586 posts
106 upvotes
Holding ATE, let's see what it can do.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
Avoid DM, Ryu is no good. He (sort of) plundered LYG/KGIC. Don't ask me how I know, lol.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 4, 2016
850 posts
505 upvotes
I don't mean to offend. But if you are not sure what you are doing, you really shouldn't go for those speculative, high risk/high reward kind of stocks. You should instead buy low risk stable return stocks.

Alternatively you can consider a diverse portfolio. So you invest maybe 80% of your portfolio into stable stocks. The other 20% you can "play around" with high risk stocks.

$170k is a lot of money to lose into high risk stocks.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
Wow, I didn't notice the OP's spreadsheet totaled $170k. Is this a real portfolio that you started recently? Every stock is close to $10k market value.

I didn't know UR fell some more today.

Noticed NXT went up 344% today but I was just on the sidelines without extra money to play with.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Jun 12th, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1359 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I’ve had this convo with many of my clients, these guys who made $ on weed and crypto will lose all their profits as investing isn’t that easy. I’d say cash out 75% and play with the rest

CCHIPSS wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 4:27 pm
I don't mean to offend. But if you are not sure what you are doing, you really shouldn't go for those speculative, high risk/high reward kind of stocks. You should instead buy low risk stable return stocks.

Alternatively you can consider a diverse portfolio. So you invest maybe 80% of your portfolio into stable stocks. The other 20% you can "play around" with high risk stocks.

$170k is a lot of money to lose into high risk stocks.
Newbie
Nov 19, 2017
84 posts
57 upvotes
I spend most of my time looking at not-spec stocks, and am more of the rodbarc dividend growth, buy at a good valuation type.

What are your guys' opinion on Katanga Mining (KAT.TO)? (Copper and Cobalt). It's a bigger cap, but with the political uncertainty in DRC, I think it can be considered a spec stock. It's also majority owned by Glencore
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
organeer wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 9:45 pm
I spend most of my time looking at not-spec stocks, and am more of the rodbarc dividend growth, buy at a good valuation type.

What are your guys' opinion on Katanga Mining (KAT.TO)? (Copper and Cobalt). It's a bigger cap, but with the political uncertainty in DRC, I think it can be considered a spec stock. It's also majority owned by Glencore
I thought it was risky at 30 cents (high interest debt, Glencore's puppet) earlier last year, then Glencore bought more shares via PP at 20 cents and the share price never looked back.
Newbie
Nov 19, 2017
84 posts
57 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 10:06 pm
I thought it was risky at 30 cents (high interest debt, Glencore's puppet) earlier last year, then Glencore bought more shares via PP at 20 cents and the share price never looked back.
What do you think Glencore's end goal is with Katanga? they went from 75% ownership to ~86% ownership in 2017. They already control a majority so why aren't they buying out the whole thing already? I doubt they would have problems raising the capital to do so.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
50604 posts
15407 upvotes
organeer wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 10:14 pm
What do you think Glencore's end goal is with Katanga? they went from 75% ownership to ~86% ownership in 2017. They already control a majority so why aren't they buying out the whole thing already? I doubt they would have problems raising the capital to do so.
Maybe for accounting/tax reasons. I think those debt carry double digit interest rates.

I didn't invest in it but check seeking alpha. There was an article / recommendation in late 2016 when the shares were trading at 19 cents.

19 cents entry point is a lot safer than $2 and you can probably find some junior miners (below $500 mc) with better than 1x return though I'm not going to suggest anything.
Member
Nov 25, 2009
326 posts
107 upvotes
Terrace
JET.VN for sure once the dust settles.

A low cost airline with no license, no plane, and no financing? Sign me up for gambling!
Newbie
Nov 19, 2017
84 posts
57 upvotes
Really interesting. Worst case scenario I never considered it that way. My worst case scenario was that they were pumping and dumping it themselves and were going to buy out the company at a dirt cheap share price (ie. way lower than $2)

I found the article where they're just running a huge loss every quarter. This was early 2017. Maybe some of that loss is royalties to Glencore. Anyway, they have sketchy accounting and are being investigated by the SEC. Also, it was Glencore's execs that was doing the sketchy accounting. So, despite the numbers, it's a huge speculation on what Glencore really wants to do with the company.

On the plus side, the SP jumped when they actually turned their operations back on. An advantage over juniors is that they are actually producing huge amounts of cobalt now as compared to juniors outside the DRC. Glencore also signed that deal with a Chinese battery maker yesterday for 5 digit metric tons of cobalt ore...They can only get that from Katanga...But this goes back to my first point - I don't know if they're going to be making Katanga sell their Cobalt to Glencore for dirt cheap before Glencore sells to the battery maker at a reasonable price. There's no real management right now because the last one got kicked out and they've spent 75M to hire an agency to review Katanga's previous accounting reports (I saw on Glencore's most recent annual report) that is giving conference calls either. This is why Katanga is the epitome of speculation right now.

Top