Investing

Most Speculative Stocks? (biggest potential upside)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 11:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
Now I totally understand what Glencore did. Load KCC with debt and high interest payments so it didn't have to pay taxes to the local coffers. :)
Nov 19, 2017
57 posts
39 upvotes
Yes, now that's been solved to the point where the DRC are satisfied, the mines are online, and cobalt will be coming out.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
That's right, production had just begun. Now my buys at 1.22 and 1.25 after the bigger buy at 1.11 don't look too bad.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
@organeer did you load up on KAT shares below $1?

I don't day trade but am happy how it's turning out so far.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
706 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:15 pm
@organeer did you load up on KAT shares below $1?

I don't day trade but am happy how it's turning out so far.
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 9:35 am
That's right, production had just begun. Now my buys at 1.22 and 1.25 after the bigger buy at 1.11 don't look too bad.
based on the lunch time price of $1.50, have you set/placed your sell price for 10%, 25%, 50% or 100% gain, or are you holding to see where it ends up in a week, month or year from now?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:25 pm
based on the lunch time price of $1.50, have you set/placed your sell price for 10%, 25%, 50% or 100% gain, or are you holding to see where it ends up in a week, month or year from now?
Looking at the price history, probably I'm going to wait until $1.80. KAT just started production in Q4 and they are producing copper and cobalt, which are essential EV ingredients (for the time being).

Do you think I should sell soon and try to buy on the dip?

edit:

I'm no technician and I know SH gets the bad rap but then again, some information there are like gold nuggets. I mean where else to pump a stock while telling the truth?

http://www.stockhouse.com/companies/bul ... d=28166298

Very simple. 1 year up channal lands at 1.80 on the low side and 2.40 on the high side had Apr 23 move not taken place. Ignoring the Jan 4 high of 2.83, KAT just may move up quickly to the upchannal as shorts get margin calls.
Nov 19, 2017
57 posts
39 upvotes
I added below 1, but the highest I added at is 2.0 also. I don't think there's a wrong answer on whether to sell sooner rather than later (ie day trade). This is because I do think the overall trend is up now, but while we get there, we will be seeing some -20% days where traders take profits, and my technical game is just as good as a gambler's. If you sell, you win, if you hold and it continues up in the medium term, you win. I wasn't panicking when I bought at 2 and it went down to 0.85 (bought more instead), because after reading all their statements going back many years, this is "a safe stock among risky speculative stocks" in my opinion. The DRC government shaky, but the company and mines themselves are good - they actually have mines, and they are actually producing copper and cobalt, which they are able to sell - unlike many mining penny stocks. In the present time, the main thorn on the rose was the DRC not liking KCC's debt, and now that Glencore has forgiven that, we're in for a good time. I am enjoying profits from KAT, but my main holdings are still in large cap blue chips bought at fair or undervalued prices à la rodbarc strategy.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
706 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:29 pm
Looking at the price history, probably I'm going to wait until $1.80. KAT just started production in Q4 and they are producing copper and cobalt, which are essential EV ingredients (for the time being).

Do you think I should sell soon and try to buy on the dip?
I'm an old guy that likely has less time to live than most on RFD, so to answer your question - lets suppose that your average price is $1.15.

At that I would immediately have set my sell price at $1.40, so on 10,000 shares x $0.25, $2500 ROI, even though it had already hit $1.55 today

With that profit I'd wait for the next opportunity

But as you said you are not a day trader & will likely hold for the $1.80, then $2 or whatever

so what about putting your sell order in today at $1.80 good till end of June?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 2:26 pm
I'm an old guy that likely has less time to live than most on RFD, so to answer your question I'm guessing your average price is $1.15.

At that I would immediately have set my sell price at $1.40, so on 10,000 shares x $0.25, $2500 ROI, even though it had already hit $1.55 today

With that profit I'd wait for the next opportunity

But as you said you are not a day trader & will likely hold for the $1.80, then $2 or whatever
Thanks for the info. You may outlive me. :)

I was just looking at the chart and KAT did go from around $1 in September to $2.70 in January. This was actually a company I found out about (well I probably heard of it before) on Seekingalpha when it was less than 40 cents lol but my understanding back then was that it was a Glencore puppet so I avoided at all cost without understanding the corporate structure. From the readings I made yesterday and today, I realize it being a puppet wasn't too bad because then, KCC/Katanga wouldn't be reporting any profits because of the high interest rates and debt load. I think the resolution was to make KCC pay more taxes as production starts.

I don't think waiting three months is a very long time for an investment to pan out.

The difference back then and today are:

KCC issues kinda settled, no KAT common shareholders dilution
cobalt and copper production are underway- KCC is expected to produce 34 000 t of cobalt and 300 000 t of copper in 2019

http://www.miningweekly.com/article/gle ... 2018-06-13

Also, my RBC online account is so bad and so manual that it's a chore buying shares especially illiquid ones where I have to manually lift the asks; selling isn't as difficult as I don't have to adjust the share count from my original order. I prefer TD's Active Trader platform but then again, I don't day trade.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
706 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 2:35 pm

I don't think waiting three months is a very long time for an investment to pan out.

Also, my RBC online account is so bad and so manual that it's a chore buying shares especially illiquid ones where I have to manually lift the asks; selling isn't as difficult as I don't have to adjust the share count from my original order. I prefer TD's Active Trader platform but then again, I don't day trade.
3 mths & watching - September 13 will be here soon enough

good luck
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
5479 posts
1327 upvotes
GTA
I'd pick TSXV: ART (Arht Media) at current levels (low to mid .40s) for biggest potential upside in the near to mid term. I am biased, of course, as I hold a large position (avg .46) and I strongly suggest doing your own DD but here's the lowdown...

- Hot tech (holographic display units) and new affordable products just launched

- Current sp (low to mid .40s) is highly attractive given that the earlier private placement with heavy insider participation was done at .40

- Recent insider options issued at .74

- Extremely tight float (28.6M), low market cap (12M at current sp) and high insider ownership, including a sizeable chunk owned by NetDragon, with most shares bought at much higher than current sp

- All-star management / ceo / board... Larry King, Jason Bateman, Paul Anka, Kevin O’Leary, Carlos Slim, Anthony Diiorio, The Right Honourable Brian Mulroney, Larry O'Reilly, Rene Bharti,.. full list here: http://www.arhtmedia.com/about/

- I already made quite a bit of $$$ on this stock as it skyrocketed from .40 - .50 to 1.60 earlier but that tight float means the move down can be just as fast as up, especially when you have shorts and pp holders unwinding their positions simultaneously.

- Execution and recurring revenue generation is key focus right now; continuous news flow suggests the company has a good chance of reaching its 2019 profitability goal.

GLTA
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
706 upvotes
GTA
izzyzz wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 11:02 am
I'd pick TSXV: ART (Arht Media) at current levels (low to mid .40s) for biggest potential upside in the near to mid term. I am biased, of course, as I hold a large position (avg .46) and I strongly suggest doing your own DD but here's the lowdown..
maybe

I dont understand why this stock has been on a continual slide for the past 3 years with the pop over $1 in May - could it be a pump & dump?

in the past week volumes have been 100,000+ on some days, yet the stock keeps dropping....why, could this be the sell off?

looking at the financials, revenues continue to drop, overhead/expenses are high, liabilities keep increasing, assets not aligned... could that be it?

or is this simply another speculative play?
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1059 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ART to me seems exactly like INT.V

Not sure if any of you remember that play?
porticoman wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:41 pm
maybe

I dont understand why this stock has been on a continual slide for the past 3 years with the pop over $1 in May - could it be a pump & dump?

in the past week volumes have been 100,000+ on some days, yet the stock keeps dropping....why, could this be the sell off?

looking at the financials, revenues continue to drop, overhead/expenses are high, liabilities keep increasing, assets not aligned... could that be it?

or is this simply another speculative play?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
How did everyone's investment go? ART is now 10 cents. Mine in KAT went under lol (even down to 36 cents and didn't have ammo to average down) but good thing it's approaching my 70 cent second tranche entry level lol.

Will likely buy more as this is one company where I truly believe what some posters on SH and SA say about the company -- a cobalt and copper powerhouse that Glencore couldn't liquidate (will likely lose ownership interest in the underlying KCC mine if they carry out a creditor in possession stunt)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... le1145986/
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13242 upvotes
OP, I just opened your spreadsheet and I am hoping that was a fictitious portfolio. My two stock portfolio is faring slightly better right now.