Cell Phones

moto G: Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2015 5:25 pm
May 11, 2011
187 posts
96 upvotes
Longueuil
Today the upgrade to KitKat 4.4.4 was pushed, at least on my unit. If you accepted the upgrade, the process might have failed. It happens sometime when the battery die before completion, you end up with a device stuck at boot when you try to restart it.

vanessie wrote: My Moto died today out of nowhere. I bought it just about 3 weeks ago and was therefore just outside of the refund period (2nd consecutive time this has happened to me with a godamn smart phone). However I was allowed to exchange it for the same phone.

If anyone still browses this thread, I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else.
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
kuerx wrote: Today the upgrade to KitKat 4.4.4 was pushed, at least on my unit. If you accepted the upgrade, the process might have failed. It happens sometime when the battery die before completion, you end up with a device stuck at boot when you try to restart it.
Is your phone Koodo/Telus or Virgin?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
vanessie wrote: My Moto died today out of nowhere. I bought it just about 3 weeks ago and was therefore just outside of the refund period (2nd consecutive time this has happened to me with a godamn smart phone). However I was allowed to exchange it for the same phone.

If anyone still browses this thread, I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else.
A week or two ago, my Moto G suddenly died while I was out, and it refused to power on. I knew I had about 50% battery capacity remaining when I left the house, so there was no excuse for the phone to shut off completely like that.

Fortunately, this had happened to my 2012 Nexus 7 which refused to power on when I first received it, so I had to force it to turn on.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/3d5eadc25d
This is our recommendation as well.

Plug it into the charger
Hold the VOL DOWN key
While still holding the VOL DOWN key, press and hold the POWER key
Hold both keys down for over 120 seconds. This is more than two minutes and will seem like a long time. You might want to time yourself to make sure you hold it longer than two minutes.
After holding the keys down for more than two minutes, release them.
The Flash Boot screen will display, and the Normal Reboot option will be highlighted
Press the VOL UP key and the device will start a normal reboot.
We're working to eliminate this issue in a future update.

UPDATE:

If you have tried the above and it didn't work, try this:

Plug in the phone for 15 minutes.
Proceed to Step 2 above.
Thanks.
After following this "forced bootup" procedure, it came back on without any problems.

An unrelated issue I've noticed is that my date and time occasionally show incorrectly while in Airplane Mode. For example, it could be 12:00pm on Tuesday July 29, 2014 right now, but my Moto G might incorrectly display 8:45pm on Friday May 23, 2014. Connecting to my cell network or Wi-Fi will always automatically force the display to show the correct date and time (as if the phone is synchronizing with the "real world" again) so this is a minor annoyance.
Jul 24, 2008
136 posts
37 upvotes
i am on "Roam Mobility" sim in Seattle on unlocked Koodo Moto g.

I got system update available to kitkat 4.4.4 message yesterday, but havent done it yet

Are they rolling this update out in Canada, or does T-mobile network think im on american phone and offerring to update my phone?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
I thought Android updates were independent of the cellular carrier, and relied upon the manufacturer of the device itself.

For example, my 2012 Nexus 7 received the Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 updates almost immediately, even though it's not a cellular-capable version of this tablet and I only have Wi-Fi as its sole link to the rest of the world.

Another example is my Moto G, for which I don't have a data plan (just basic $25 "pay as you go" airtime from Speakout 7-11), but Android updates via Wi-Fi. Will have to wait until I get home from work today to connect to the web to see if 4.4.4 is available to me.
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
tonydif wrote: i am on "Roam Mobility" sim in Seattle on unlocked Koodo Moto g.

I got system update available to kitkat 4.4.4 message yesterday, but havent done it yet

Are they rolling this update out in Canada, or does T-mobile network think im on american phone and offerring to update my phone?
It has to do with your firmware. Apparently Virgin update is rolling out. Im still waiting for mine from Koodo.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: I thought Android updates were independent of the cellular carrier, and relied upon the manufacturer of the device itself.
Not for the majority of mobile phones, the exception being Nexus devices, some international versions of phones purchased unlocked and, I believe, Google Play Edition devices. Most mobiles purchased through carriers have to wait for the manufacturer to create an update and then for the carriers to vet it - a process which can take months longer than for Nexus devices.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2467 posts
1082 upvotes
GTA
Vacillator wrote: Not for the majority of mobile phones, the exception being Nexus devices, some international versions of phones purchased unlocked and, I believe, Google Play Edition devices. Most mobiles purchased through carriers have to wait for the manufacturer to create an update and then for the carriers to vet it - a process which can take months longer than for Nexus devices.
So does that mean if I unlock a telus moto g and use it on rogers the android os update will come from telus? I always update my existing lg over WiFi so I never thought about it.
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
wackojacko wrote: So does that mean if I unlock a telus moto g and use it on rogers the android os update will come from telus? I always update my existing lg over WiFi so I never thought about it.
It will be updated via WiFi. The firmware is Telus doesn't mean the update comes from Telus.
Jul 24, 2008
136 posts
37 upvotes
Updated to 4.4.4 last night on a Roam Mobility Sim......firmware upgrade says Telus.

No hitches, hope phone still works when stick the Fido Sim back in
Dec 14, 2008
85 posts
11 upvotes
Brampton
About to purchase 1st smartphone. replacing an old Razr flip. ( at least it can handle a fall , within the need to pay for additional protection....)
I want an unlocked Moto G LTE. Available from Motorola in US - @ $220. Wonder when it's coming to Canada. AFAIK currently the only way in Canada is to buy the phone from FIdo or Rogers and pay for an unlock code. HAs any one done this ?

How much software does Rogers install that you don't want. And in MB ? Is it true that deleting would void warranty ?

I read there is 5 GB available to the user out of 8 GB installed memory. ( I know this phone does take up to a 32 GB micro sim card.)
The unlocked Google Nexus 5 appeals too.
thx
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Thanks for the heads-up! 4.4.4 is also available to me today too. Downloading it now. Like you, I am also using a Moto G that was originally purchased from Koodo (but unlocked and now being used on Speakout 7-Eleven).

I think we all skipped 4.4.3. I mean, it was only around for 17 days before it was superseded by 4.4.4, but I remember my 2012 Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi version) had 4.4.3 for a short while when it was originally released.
Feb 20, 2013
85 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
FYI - Updated to 4.4.4 this evening. Bought the Moto G from Koodo and is now on Telus.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1098 posts
416 upvotes
Pickering
Just got the update on my Wind version tonight as well.
MS MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010-2016
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Because I now use my Moto G as an MP3 player (and now I see why the <6GB available storage space is an issue for so many people), one thing I've noticed this evening with 4.4.4 is that if I'm playing a track using Google Play Music, then pause it and let the screensaver/lockscreen come on, when I go to awaken the phone again, the lockscreen is now just the standard lockscreen with my background, instead of Google Play Music controls.

If I play a track and lock the screen, the Google Play Music controls still appear on the lockscreen, but then if I pause while on the lockscreen, soon the controls will fade and it will bring me to my standard background lockscreen.

Boo-urns. Now I have to unlock my phone and go back to Google Play Music every time I want to resume/unpause my tracks. Too bad Google Play Music doesn't have a lockscreen widget like the clock, calendar, etc. have.

First world problems.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
Updated my wind unit to 4.4.4 and it seems to be pretty much the same except the dialer app when you press the all contacts button it doesn't respond properly.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Has 4.4.4 fixed the wifi issue? My sister couldn't log into U of T wifi yesterday and her moto G just got updated today.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)