• Nov 16th, 2017 2:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 20, 2016
37 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver BC

Moto G5 Plus vs G5S Plus

I'm looking to replace my moms 3-year old $89 windows phone and it looks like these two phones will be on sale in the states over Black Friday.

She is not a power user. The most important feature for her is a reliable/quality camera. Her price point is <$400 CAD no contact.

I'm wondering if it is worth the extra for the G5S Plus over the G5 Plus.

Does anyone have experience with either phone? Or comments / suggestions? Maybe other phones worth considering?

Thank you!
-Dreki, occasional YouTube tech reviewer and professional opinion-haver
11 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11469 posts
1108 upvotes
Kanata
drekitech wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 3:32 am
I'm looking to replace my moms 3-year old $89 windows phone and it looks like these two phones will be on sale in the states over Black Friday.

She is not a power user. The most important feature for her is a reliable/quality camera. Her price point is <$400 CAD no contact.

I'm wondering if it is worth the extra for the G5S Plus over the G5 Plus.

Does anyone have experience with either phone? Or comments / suggestions? Maybe other phones worth considering?

Thank you!
There's a difference in size (5.2" vs 5.5" screen).
5S also adds NFC and dual camera.
For some, it would be ideal to get a phone camera that has OIS. Under $400, the zenfone 3 has it but some have had issues with Asus phones. I personally haven't had experience with them. The few people that I do know that have this phone, have had no problems thus far (6+ months of use).
Dec 29, 2012
58 posts
12 upvotes
Sherbrooke
goofball wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:36 am
5S also adds NFC and dual camera.
There is no NFC in the North American (XT1806) Moto G5S Plus.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
I had the G5 Plus. It doesn't have NFC, however, everything else about it was great. I really liked the home button gestures. Swipe left to go back, swipe right to list previously used apps in addition to a great fingerprint sensor. I could also run multiple user IDs on it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/one-butt ... your-phone

I got rid of it because I found it just a touch too wide for my hands.
May 8, 2009
1721 posts
450 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:33 pm
I had the G5 Plus. It doesn't have NFC, however, everything else about it was great. I really liked the home button gestures. Swipe left to go back, swipe right to list previously used apps in addition to a great fingerprint sensor. I could also run multiple user IDs on it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/one-butt ... your-phone

I got rid of it because I found it just a touch too wide for my hands.
@batcave what phone do you use now?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:35 pm
@batcave what phone do you use now?
I use a Galaxy S7, the dual SIM model. I travel a fair bit and it works in more places than other phones. It also has one of the best cameras imho, except for some weird lens distortion in the centre portion of the frame. It is only noticeable when I photograph brick walls. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
May 8, 2009
1721 posts
450 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:56 pm
I use a Galaxy S7, the dual SIM model. I travel a fair bit and it works in more places than other phones. It also has one of the best cameras imho, except for some weird lens distortion in the centre portion of the frame. It is only noticeable when I photograph brick walls. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
S7 is a higher-grade phone than a Moto G...but I still can't wrap my mind around leaving Motorola for a Samsung.

RE: OP shopping for mom, I think the Moto E4 from Amazon US is a no brainer if you want to avoid the hoop jumping with Koodo.

If considering a high end Moto G (and not shopping for mom), the Moto Z² Play on Virgin isn't all bad. $800 retail or $0 upfront on a gold plan. But not such a good deal if you don't plan on riding out the 2 yr agreement on a gold plan. $700 for international dual-sim variant on Amazon.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:47 am
S7 is a higher-grade phone than a Moto G...but I still can't wrap my mind around leaving Motorola for a Samsung.
It was really about physical size and network compatibility. I used to have two phones. Now I only have one.
May 8, 2009
1721 posts
450 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 4:08 pm
It was really about physical size and network compatibility. I used to have two phones. Now I only have one.
Understandable, that's why I'm rockin' a Moto Z Play and am giving high consideration to upgrading to a dual-sim Motorola. A Samsung might be found cheaper (especially an older model) but I'm hoping that a dual-sim Motorola will stick for at least a couple years. I suspect those with dual-sim phones don't replace their handsets as often as those who chew through carrier phones :P
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 4:37 pm
Understandable, that's why I'm rockin' a Moto Z Play and am giving high consideration to upgrading to a dual-sim Motorola. A Samsung might be found cheaper (especially an older model) but I'm hoping that a dual-sim Motorola will stick for at least a couple years. I suspect those with dual-sim phones don't replace their handsets as often as those who chew through carrier phones :P
I usually have my phones for two years before getting a new one. Previously, I had the Galaxy S5 before selling it and then going through a bunch of free under powered and under equipped carrier phones (Zenfone 2e, LG Aristo). I really like the S7. I'll probably get the Galaxy S9 in 2019 when it's cheaper.
May 8, 2009
1721 posts
450 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 7:54 pm
I usually have my phones for two years before getting a new one. Previously, I had the Galaxy S5 before selling it and then going through a bunch of free under powered and under equipped carrier phones (Zenfone 2e, LG Aristo). I really like the S7. I'll probably get the Galaxy S9 in 2019 when it's cheaper.
This makes sense.

I suppose those who upgrade frequently can live on the bleeding edge for carrier features (LTE+, VoWiFi/VoLTE, advanced messaging, etc.) or manufacturer features, but even then, I think with a dual-sim phone, I can wait longer to upgrade my handset. In your case, although you don't have a Bixby button on your phone, you benefit much more from the dual-sim feature.

Aren't you with a US carrier? Do you keep a Canadian prepaid sim in your phone on the side?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1123 posts
71 upvotes
Here
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:39 pm
This makes sense.

I suppose those who upgrade frequently can live on the bleeding edge for carrier features (LTE+, VoWiFi/VoLTE, advanced messaging, etc.) or manufacturer features, but even then, I think with a dual-sim phone, I can wait longer to upgrade my handset. In your case, although you don't have a Bixby button on your phone, you benefit much more from the dual-sim feature.

Aren't you with a US carrier? Do you keep a Canadian prepaid sim in your phone on the side?
What can Bixby do for me? Lol Doesn't Google Assistant do the same thing?

Often I needed a second phone when going overseas. However, the Galaxy S7 Duos solved that! I think the single sim S8 is almost as good. I rarely have two sim cards in the phone, but there is more network compatibility in the dual sim Samsung phones compared to the single sim variants.

I use both T-Mobile and AT&T. I've been with AT&T for over ten years for the time I spend in the US. T-Mobile has been more recent (5 years?) a because they had better rates than AT&T at one point, but the are pretty competitive now. They both introduced North America roaming in 2015. I've been pretty well using them exclusively since then. I've actually told them about my situation, spending extended amounts of time in Canada, and they are okay with it. But think I use more data when I'm in the US because I generally don't have wifi there. I generally don't use that much data, maybe 3gb/month. Sometimes when I'm on an extended trip, I'll use 10+GB in a month. Both networks have a general rule of 50% usage on the home network, but maybe I do that. I don't think they are very strict because of the competition. I also try not to abuse it because it's a good perk.

I also love the deals the US carriers give to retain business. I got one free phone from each network last year! I just resold them because they were pretty crappy, but useable phones. T-Mobile Tuesday is also awesome. I get lots of free stuff from that.

I had a Speakout Wireless sim that I sold earlier this year because I couldn't use up the balance. I don't need a Canadian number, but if rates were more reasonable here, I would get one. But I think I'm too spoiled by what I get in US it's probably not going to happen.