Cell Phones

Moto Z Play (1st gen) at Costco for $550, good deal or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 8:47 am
Mar 9, 2010
60 posts
8 upvotes
Hamilton

Moto Z Play (1st gen) at Costco for $550, good deal or not?

I'm thinking about buying the Moto Z Play at Costco since the new one has come out and it has a smaller battery and costs more.... how is motorola at supporting the old phones? Will Android 8 be coming to it? At $550 it's finally approaching the US cost of $400US instead of paying the Canada Markup.

Thoughts?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1721 posts
643 upvotes
Kitchener
You can get a similar specced phone for $200 [Redmi Note 4 Global].

$550 is not worth it for this phone. You could get a 2016 flagship phone for that price [S7 on ebay, LG G6, and others].
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
I'm using Moto Z Play 2016 originally from Koodo as daily driver. The phone is amazing.

Still way cheaper on G/X with double the storage and dual sim on G/B, but glad to see MZP on sale at Costco.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
I'm pretty sure this phone was way way cheaper from koodo, at $550 it's just not worth it
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
RFDQ1016 wrote: I'm pretty sure this phone was way way cheaper from koodo, at $550 it's just not worth it
Agreed, but carriers (Telus/Koodo/Rogers) are out of stock. It's still a cost-effective handset if you want a (near) flagship for modular snap-on extensions (Moto mods) or to run a custom ROM, and be larger than a Galaxy S7 or LG G5. Otherwise spend your money on a Zenfone. Heck, Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra from Freedom or Videotron is also cheaper (though lacks fingerprint scanner and isn't great at flash video playback, despite no mention of this in the reviews).

I grabbed mine through Koodo on Boxing day when it was $0 upfront on tab medium, but I did it as an upgrade (so far only upgrade I've done on Koodo) and loyalty get me an extra $50 off. I then paid the $70 upfront to get it on a tab small, total $310+tax.

I didn't get more than one due to no other family member wanting one, plus Motorola's are low demand on Kijiji (unless you really lower your asking price).

I'd be more interested in seeing a grey market option for Moto Z² Play with 64 GB storage (I think all MZ2P's except the carrier variants from Bell/SaskTel/Freedom are 64 GB storage). Not that MZ2P is much better than the previous gen, but if you're going to drop $500+ on a phone, it better be the newest one, new from retailer with warranty!
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
Not worth it.. get the full Z for that price
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
ShadowVlican wrote: Not worth it.. get the full Z for that price
But is the full Z available for that price?
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10408 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
just buy a asus zenfone 3 laser from staples, and stack some coupons. for $279.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."