Motomaster Winter Edge Tires

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2018 11:36 pm
Nov 12, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
some1not wrote:
Nov 16th, 2017 7:01 pm
I got these this year and with no snow so far, I'm surprise how quit they are comparing them to the stock Bridgestone Ecopia. And I'm using them on a Nissan LEAF so if they were noisy I would hear it. I have no issues going with a value winter tire as I have used Barum Polaris 3 in the pass with great success in the winter. Barum is Continental value tire, which I would purchase again but store are not carrying them the last couple of years here in the GTA. So I ended up saving some $$$ over the premium winter tire, it's not like I'm going to go racing in the winter! :)

Just waiting for the snow now and with my luck having put my winters on, it'll not arrive until June!! :P

Ok which tire store do you work for?
LOL, No I don't work at a tire store. I usually go to one, get all the information and purchase my tires wherever has the better price (usually Costco because of the warranty). Seriously, if the CTs work out please post a review, that way others can make an informed purchase. I would rather not be one of the initial testers though. Winter tires are kind of important and I would rather go with a tried and tested tire than find out I saved a few bucks and got a so-so product. I suppose someone has to buy them and in this case for those who did I hope they are great performers. That way we can all save on our next set. The Blizzaks and the Nokians got some great reviews from commercial and trusted sites like APA.ca so I am going with one of them this year.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
1424 posts
273 upvotes
Montreal
Curious about this tire as well... the specs compared to the X-Ice3 is promissing.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2009
32 posts
1 upvote
I did go with the Continental Winter Contact si because of the lack of reviews but Winter Edge could def be my next set.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3609 posts
605 upvotes
GTEH!
These new Winter Edge tires have a similar tread pattern to the Continental WinterContact SI tires.

I have used the Continental WinterContact tires the past 2 winters and they have worked well for me. This upcoming winter will be #3 season. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6852 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
Webhead wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 4:12 pm
These new Winter Edge tires have a similar tread pattern to the Continental WinterContact SI tires.

I have used the Continental WinterContact tires the past 2 winters and they have worked well for me. This upcoming winter will be #3 season. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
The rubber compound will be the key factor. Are the sipes deep? Not all winter tires have the same depth sipes. I think that the Michelin XIce's sipes were not that deep if my memory is correct. I know that the General Altimax Arctics were quite deep (for sipes).

Dave
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1859 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
DavidY wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 5:55 pm
The rubber compound will be the key factor. Are the sipes deep? Not all winter tires have the same depth sipes. I think that the Michelin XIce's sipes were not that deep if my memory is correct. I know that the General Altimax Arctics were quite deep (for sipes).

Dave
The sipes are deep but I haven't measured them.

Also there should be a lot of people reviewing these as the store couldn't keep them in stock I just hope it's for the good!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2541 posts
494 upvotes
Oshawa
CapeRR wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 12:24 am
Anyone have any experience with these yet or are they too new? Engineered by Cooper Tires they say and they're 25% off at Canadian Tire right now.
I'm pretty much settled on getting the Continental Winter Contact SI for my 2017 CRV AWD but these are about $40 less per tire so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Purchased 2 sets of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (205/55R16 + 215/60R16) with steel rims ... from Premier Wheels Direct (Scarborough) .... $1700 CASH and you have $140 MIR ... which brings it down to $1560 ... $780 a set.

YOU CAN'T GET A BETTER DEAL THAN THAT!

Michelin X-Ice ... the BEST WINTER TIRES ON THE MARKET!

My own 15" Falken Espia with steel rims cost $620 ... at the same place purchased two seasons ago!
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Sep 9, 2013
523 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure about the moto master winter edge but I just picked up some moto master total terrain w/t winter tires on clearance today for $119 each for my Murano 235/65R18
Total came to $557 for a set of 4 tires.

Regular price said $208 each
Still 5 tires in stock at my location in Ottawa if anyones interested in the size mentioned.

In store clearance
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motom ... 713380#srp
Last edited by hulk007 on Nov 27th, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 9, 2013
523 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 11:58 pm
@hulk007, how old were the tires?
Not sure i just ordered them online tonight and will pick them up sometime this week
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
5653 posts
837 upvotes
hulk007 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:05 am
Not sure i just ordered them online tonight and will pick them up sometime this week
Cant be that old I don't think that model has been around all that long.

Looks like a Cooper tire.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1859 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
Seems like tomorrow will be the day when this tire will be put to the test 5 - 10cm is the forecast late in the afternoon.
Sep 1, 2010
7 posts
3 upvotes
Newmarket
I purchased a set for my 2017 jeep grand Cherokee and I feel like they work good. I find that the snow sticks to the tires. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. In really cold weather they work great. In slush they slip a little more and I did experience slight hydroplaning on cold water/slush at 80km. That's not bad. AT regular price you can get much better.
In my opinion..
Value generaly 7/10. What I paid 9/10 saved 25%off and an extra $100 off.
Grip in snow. 8/10
Grip on ice. 8.5/10
Grip on water/hydroplaning 7.5/10
Stopping/ breaking 9/10
Road noise 10/10
Tread depth 9/10
Looks/sidewall 8/10
Tire wear. N/A yet. Only had them 2 months.

Hope this helps everyone. I did not have them installed by Canadian tire and did not purchase the extended tire protecting plan. It's worth purchasing if you have them install it. Otherwise save yourself $120 Or more.
Images
  • 20171224_195932.jpg
  • 20171222_114428.jpg
  • 20180109_014243.jpg
  • 20180109_014212.jpg
[OP]
Sep 9, 2009
32 posts
1 upvote
Nice review and pics. I went back and checked CT and and there are now reviews posted and they are also favourable and $40 less per tire than my Continentals. I certainly don't regret buying them though, they are excellent.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1859 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
Denis03 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 1:45 am
I purchased a set for my 2017 jeep grand Cherokee and I feel like they work good. I find that the snow sticks to the tires. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. In really cold weather they work great. In slush they slip a little more and I did experience slight hydroplaning on cold water/slush at 80km. That's not bad. AT regular price you can get much better.
In my opinion..
Value generaly 7/10. What I paid 9/10 saved 25%off and an extra $100 off.
Grip in snow. 8/10
Grip on ice. 8.5/10
Grip on water/hydroplaning 7.5/10
Stopping/ breaking 9/10
Road noise 10/10
Tread depth 9/10
Looks/sidewall 8/10
Tire wear. N/A yet. Only had them 2 months.

Hope this helps everyone. I did not have them installed by Canadian tire and did not purchase the extended tire protecting plan. It's worth purchasing if you have them install it. Otherwise save yourself $120 Or more.

I've been meaning to write a review for this tire but have not made the time.

I would have to agree with this review but would give 1 point up for all except for water \ hydroplaning, on my LEAF it's a 9.5! Could be because the LEAF has a lower center of gravity due to it's batteries, giving it better traction but I was able to go anywhere in the snow while some cars had a hard time especially going uphill like on York Mills Road and some other famous hills during the winter in the GTA. I would buy these again.

Going uphill 10 / 10

I didnt have any issues with the stock all season tires the LEAF came with over the last two winters but then those winter months were nothing like this winter.