• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2017 9:57 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
431 posts
111 upvotes

Motorized bicycle

Hoping this is the right forum to post this. I commute to work by bike. I'm considering buying a motorized bicycle mostly because I have 2 steep hills to contend with. Looking for any advice or tips as I don't know much about them. I see a few on sale on Kijiji for $400, which is much cheaper than I expected.
31 replies
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8303 posts
2449 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Don't know much either, but I'd imagine to go with one that uses a lithium battery as it's much much lighter compared to a lead acid one. Aside from that I think they are limited to a top speed of 32km/H or so.

Just don't be one of those idiots that use a whole lane and slowing traffic down.
Jan 3, 2005
660 posts
40 upvotes
I own an ebike. A decent ebike can be pricey and can range from $1500 to $10K. You definitely get what you pay for. If you want to use this for daily commute I suggest you get the best that you can afford. You don't want to buy one in the lower price range only to find that it just doesn't suit your needs or the build quality is really cheap. When I was doing my research I really wanted one with the Bionx system as they appear to be very good hill climbers with high torque. I settled on an EZ-Motion model which was about$700 less than the Bionx model I wanted. I'm happy with mine still. Expect to pay around $4k - 5K for a decent bike.

Toronto International Bike Fall Show is in a few days (Oct 14th). They will have several vendors with various models. You should narrow your choice down to a few models and check them out at the show. The spring show in March will be bigger though if you can wait.
https://www.bicycleshowtoronto.com/

Check out https://electricbikereview.com/ which will give you some info as well as links to YouTube video reviews.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
431 posts
111 upvotes
Thanks but ebikes are different than motorized bikes. I hadn't considered ebikes because they're out of my price range. I've seen a lot of people with motorized bikes lately so I'm just curious about them.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8303 posts
2449 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Looks like a moped concoction.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1301 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Rokkin wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 6:48 pm
I own an ebike. A decent ebike can be pricey and can range from $1500 to $10K. You definitely get what you pay for. If you want to use this for daily commute I suggest you get the best that you can afford. You don't want to buy one in the lower price range only to find that it just doesn't suit your needs or the build quality is really cheap. When I was doing my research I really wanted one with the Bionx system as they appear to be very good hill climbers with high torque. I settled on an EZ-Motion model which was about$700 less than the Bionx model I wanted. I'm happy with mine still. Expect to pay around $4k - 5K for a decent bike.

Toronto International Bike Fall Show is in a few days (Oct 14th). They will have several vendors with various models. You should narrow your choice down to a few models and check them out at the show. The spring show in March will be bigger though if you can wait.
https://www.bicycleshowtoronto.com/

Check out https://electricbikereview.com/ which will give you some info as well as links to YouTube video reviews.
4-5k gets you riding a real motorcycle and insurance for a few years
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
431 posts
111 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:54 pm
you have got to be kidding me?

First off, that's like a 25 year old mountain bike

Looks like a backyard frankenstein creation
If you're going to respond, why not make it something useful and helpful, rather than something childish that doesn't really help.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
431 posts
111 upvotes
Moderator can you please move this thread to sports & recreation.
Sep 30, 2007
335 posts
139 upvotes
6 years ago it took me 4 months and $3,000 to make this.
65 km/h top speed, 70 km range.
I've done 11,000 km on it in 6 years, and finally got 2017 FFE in April.
With proper clothes, it beats any other mode of transportation in town hands down.
No insurance, no gas, no parking, no traffic, no tickets, no maintenance.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9322 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:30 pm
With proper clothes, it beats any other mode of transportation in town hands down.

now that, is cool
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6141 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:30 pm

damn dude u need likea $5,000 lock to lock that up though!