• Oct 18th, 2017 9:03 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5400 posts
969 upvotes
???
There’s many styles of bikes out there.

There’s pedal assist bikes which means you have to pedal it to go and the motor adds torque as you’re pedalling. They are most common in the mid drive style meaning the motor is attached where the pedals are.

Then there’s hub drive bicycles. Most of these are push a button and it will go for you, no pedalling needed.

There are trade offs for both and it depends what you’re looking for and if the pros outweigh the cons for your needs.

Me and my girlfriend both have mid drive pedal assist bikes and they are costly.

Hub drives are cheaper but they have a limited range if form factor is a concern.
Jan 3, 2005
655 posts
30 upvotes
xrvr wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 9:30 pm

65 km/h top speed, 70 km range.
Technically, I think this exceeds the speed limitation of an e bike. I would think that this puts it in another class where it would need to be licensed and insured........that is, if you get caught.
Sep 30, 2007
319 posts
132 upvotes
I've never left it outside for more than 20 minutes unattended.
Electric throttle was always disabled, and trust me, you won't be able to pedal too far 90 lbs bike
with this gear ratio. I've done 15 km/h, pedaling it, but not very far.
Project #2, needed about $1000 more and time to finish it.
Should be able to do 100 km/h with these 18" moto wheels.
If I ever finish it, of course.
Whoever is still interested in this hobby, here's few links:
electricbike.com
ES FB group
ES forum

Sep 30, 2007
319 posts
132 upvotes
Rokkin wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 10:31 pm
Technically, I think this exceeds the speed limitation of an e bike. I would think that this puts it in another class where it would need to be licensed and insured........that is, if you get caught.
Yes, the dreadful 32 km/h speed limit for the "pedal assisted ebikes".
However, our local cops don't give a crap about nerdy looking dude doing 50 or 60 in the city.
Unless you're wasted or something.
I even passed couple cops, doing 50 or so.
They've got more important stuff to be worried about.
But, I got stopped once by the cop, who was leaving The Toronto South Detention Centre, maximum-security correctional facility.
With cherries and everything.
However, I saw him a minute before, and after he asked me if I have insurance, how fast does it go and whatnot, I told him it's the power assisted bicycle, does not go faster than 30 km/h, therefore I don't need anything to ride it.
He was somewhat satisfied, looked at it again, and said ride safely. Voila.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1399 posts
558 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:
6 years ago it took me 4 months and $3,000 to make this.
I've done 11,000 km on it in 6 years, and finally got 2017 FFE in April.
With proper clothes, it beats any other mode of transportation in town hands down.
No insurance, no gas, no parking, no traffic, no tickets, no maintenance.

Cool!

What type of batteries did you use and how many? 18650s?
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36504 posts
2443 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:
With proper clothes, it beats any other mode of transportation in town hands down.

Great bike!

In the WORST case scenario (still unlikely to happen), is if you get into an accident. You could be hit with driving a vehicle without insurance, and get sued for millions.
Thats because that e-bike is now a unregistered/uninsured motorvehicle due to the speed ability over 32km/hr. But the pedals do make it qualify.

Thats the same with the motorzied bicycled OP mentioned.

You CAN however get away with it if you mind your own business and don't draw too much attention. BUT a cop can nail you, or suddenly theres a problem b/c of others with the same setup. This can cause cops to start cracking down on them.

But secretly... PEople get away with fast e-bikes all the time...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36504 posts
2443 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote:

Great bike!

In the WORST case scenario (still unlikely to happen), is if you get into an accident. You could be hit with driving a vehicle without insurance, and get sued for millions.
Thats because that e-bike is now a unregistered/uninsured motorvehicle due to the speed ability over 32km/hr. But the pedals do make it qualify.

Thats the same with the motorzied bicycled OP mentioned.

You CAN however get away with it if you mind your own business and don't draw too much attention. BUT a cop can nail you, or suddenly theres a problem b/c of others with the same setup. This can cause cops to start cracking down on them.

But secretly... PEople get away with fast e-bikes all the time...

P.s. The regulations i mention pertain to Ontario. Vehicles are regulated by the province, so laws may differ in your area.
Jan 16, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
Check out sondors.com for e bikes...I have 3...start at 499.00 usd plus delivery....great bikes for the $$$
Jan 12, 2013
438 posts
47 upvotes
Barrie, Canada
So if no insurance is needed for this bike,if you were to hit a car,how would you pay for the damage to the car that was hit?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5400 posts
969 upvotes
???
Tigerz wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:53 am
So if no insurance is needed for this bike,if you were to hit a car,how would you pay for the damage to the car that was hit?
You’d go through your own auto insurance as a un-insured motorist. You can then sue in small claims court for the deductible.
Nov 17, 2012
797 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
Be a responsible human being. Get a motorcycle license, buy a used motorcycle or scooter, pony up and pay insurance and behave like an adult.

If you want to be the d-bag who straps a gas powered motor to their bicycle and weaves in and out of traffic, or who pays through the nose for an e-bike (dui-bike more like it) and rides it on roads like Lakeshore where they clearly shouldn't be, then be prepared for public scorn and ridicule.

That and gas-powered bicycles are not legal in Ontario. Mopeds 50cc or lower are motorcycles and the only difference is you can get away with a 'Limited Speed' designation on your M license, which only means you took your test on a <50cc moped or scooter. Waste of time - take the course and get a full M.

It's a shame e-bikes are predominantly ridden by idiots who clearly lost their licenses or who are asshats who simply don't want to pay insurance on a motorcycle or scooter. And its a crime our government allows these morons to ride them on public roads turning a blind eye to obviously modified e-bikes cruising along at 50km/h.

I'm all for alternative modes of transport to reduce congestion. Bike lanes are awesome, for human-powered bikes. e-bikes, gas powered bicycles, mopeds, scooters, motorcycles all should be restricted to roads they can maintain the speed limit of, should all require training/licensing and insurance.

If you can't afford or don't want to pay insurance, take the f'n bus.
Feb 16, 2013
501 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
CBR125. 1500-2k kijiji all day long.
My insurance for a CBR250 was 390 for they year. M2.
So a 125 is even cheaper.
It will do 100 KH/h easy.
My 250 did 161 on level ground, tucked in and the stars alligned.
I'm a 250 pounds fat bastard to boot.
Buy a motorcycle if you want a cycle with a motor.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36504 posts
2443 upvotes
Toronto
torontotim wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:36 am
Be a responsible human being. Get a motorcycle license, buy a used motorcycle or scooter, pony up and pay insurance and behave like an adult.

If you want to be the d-bag who straps a gas powered motor to their bicycle and weaves in and out of traffic, or who pays through the nose for an e-bike (dui-bike more like it) and rides it on roads like Lakeshore where they clearly shouldn't be, then be prepared for public scorn and ridicule.

That and gas-powered bicycles are not legal in Ontario. Mopeds 50cc or lower are motorcycles and the only difference is you can get away with a 'Limited Speed' designation on your M license, which only means you took your test on a <50cc moped or scooter. Waste of time - take the course and get a full M.

It's a shame e-bikes are predominantly ridden by idiots who clearly lost their licenses or who are asshats who simply don't want to pay insurance on a motorcycle or scooter. And its a crime our government allows these morons to ride them on public roads turning a blind eye to obviously modified e-bikes cruising along at 50km/h.

I'm all for alternative modes of transport to reduce congestion. Bike lanes are awesome, for human-powered bikes. e-bikes, gas powered bicycles, mopeds, scooters, motorcycles all should be restricted to roads they can maintain the speed limit of, should all require training/licensing and insurance.

If you can't afford or don't want to pay insurance, take the f'n bus.
Hi fuggin five

I hate the slack jawed yokels who ride these around town... i was effin pissed at one in the left turn lane in rush hour slowing everyone down...
Sep 30, 2007
319 posts
132 upvotes
torontotim wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:36 am
LOL. The whole point of building DIY ebike for me was exactly the opposite. No insurance, no gas, no parking. I can bring my ebike inside of my apartment, but obviously not the stinking gas powered contraption.
If you want to be the d-bag who straps a gas powered motor to their bicycle and weaves in and out of traffic, or who pays through the nose for an e-bike (dui-bike more like it) and rides it on roads like Lakeshore where they clearly shouldn't be,
I learned how to drive in the Soviet army in 1987, driving tractor trailer. Trust me, I know how to drive defensively. And then I rode my ebike around South Etobicoke for 5 years, I did exactly that.
I had few dicey moments, but it's only because cagers weren't paying enough attention. But I did.
And what's wrong with Lakeshore, BTW?
It's a shame e-bikes are predominantly ridden by idiots who clearly lost their licenses or who are asshats who simply don't want to pay insurance on a motorcycle or scooter.
I agree.