Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Moto G - 2nd Gen - 179.99USD - US deal

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2014 9:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
timduncan wrote: is the dual SIM version AWS compatible?
I did not even think about how handy this type of phone would be to Wind customers that need extended range occasionally. It looks like it is AWS compatible! Note the HSDPA 1700 compatibility. http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g ... 9-6648.php

I have 2 great grandfathered plans, a once unlimited (now 1 gig a month) 25 cent a day data plan with President's Choice, and a $15 Canada Wide 200 minute 6PM E/W plan from Fido. It would be nice to put them both on one phone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5438 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
I'm surprised they dropped the pixel density on the second gen, probably not going to be noticeable but not sure why they would downgrade like that while increasing screen size.

Moto G 2014 - 720 x 1280 pixels, 5.0 inches (~294 ppi pixel density)
Moto G 2013 - 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.5 inches (~326 ppi pixel density)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2517 upvotes
Halifax
azybcxrfd wrote: This or 299+tax LG G2?
The G2 is a better phone, better screen, better cpu, better radio, better camera. Probably worth the $300 but out of my price range. Non removable battery is a big minus for a phone at that price. LG clued in on that deficiency when they put out the G3.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
zentro wrote: I'm surprised they dropped the pixel density on the second gen
Because it's the same processor/GPU as the 1st gen, therefore the same number of screen pixels even though the screen is physically larger.
DBDphotography wrote:Is the screen still IPS LCD?
Yes. I've seen a test report that says it has even better contrast and black levels than the 1st gen, for more "pop". But it has a lower maximum brightness and a smaller colour gamut than the 1st-gen screen.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1886 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
JamesA1 wrote: Because it's the same processor/GPU as the 1st gen, therefore the same number of screen pixels even though the screen is physically larger.

Yes. I've seen a test report that says it has even better contrast and black levels than the 1st gen, for more "pop". But it has a lower maximum brightness and a smaller colour gamut than the 1st-gen screen.
Plus the slight drop of pixel probably won't be very noticeable while still keeping the cost low
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12065 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like a good price for the specs, if it comes to Canada Wind/Mobi compatible that would be great.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
azybcxrfd wrote: This or 299+tax LG G2?
Not really a fair comparison. G2 can still run with the big boys. Moto G is a 2nd tier smartphone, albeit a very good one at that, especially for the price.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
RiCHC3 wrote: Not sure how you guys do it with the 8 gigs, SD card or not.
Very easy.. We use it as a Phone, with few extras...

I use mine as a phone, with just Gmail and outlook mail installed for my personal email... Touchdown for my corporate exchange email, and some other small apps like Viber, canadapost app for tracking my parcels and some other minor small apps..

I don't use it for movies, don't use it for Music, don't use it for games, and don't care about any social media like facebook, twitter, etc... Camera is used seldomly, and mostly for work related issues (if I go to an event and need a real camera, I bring my DSLR or my point & shoot). And any pics/videos taken, are transfered to my PC and removed from phone within a week anyhow. I don't keep my whole life history on the phone.

I just checked my MotoG XT1032, and I am using just under 2.5GB, so still under 50% of the available space. I used to have my HTC and had a 16GB SD card in it, and realized I was barely using it, so decided to go ahead and get the MotoG even with 8G of memory, and sub-par camera (since it is never used for any fancy pics anyhow)

My wife still has her old, ancient, iPhone 3GS dinosaur which has 8GB of memory, and she never had an issue with running out of room..

All depends on how you use the device.. Primarily as a phone, or as an "everything" unit ?... Some people have everything on thier phone (pics, music, videos, emails, games, social media, etc...), others don't.. Personally, when I get home, my phone goes on my dresser, and don't care to see it till the next day. My life doesn't revolve around my phone ;)

To each thier own.. That's why this phone does actually have a market. Cheap cost, decent performance, with a few restrictions for the light to average user.

I'd love to have a Nexus 5, 32GB.. However, for the amount I use my phone, some of us cannot justify the cost. It is a nice to have, but definately not something I "need".
Mar 13, 2014
92 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
I'm waiting for the reviews to come in to see if the new one is better than the original. My concerns is that the battery won't be as good since the phone has a bigger screen and is using the same battery from the original Moto G. I'm almost certain I will get the Moto G LTE or this. LTE doesn't matter to me, but the microsd slot does.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7186 upvotes
Calgary
Emblem3 wrote: I'm waiting for the reviews to come in to see if the new one is better than the original. My concerns is that the battery won't be as good since the phone has a bigger screen and is using the same battery from the original Moto G. I'm almost certain I will get the Moto G LTE or this. LTE doesn't matter to me, but the microsd slot does.
Android L improves battery life significantly in the Nexus 5 preview. Either way, battery life on the new Moto G with Andoird L will be better than the first gen Moto G currently running Kit Kat.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1564 posts
146 upvotes
Is the second generation available through amazon.com?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
If you want microSD expansion memory on the original Moto G, you can always get one of these: http://www.meenova.com/st/p/mrg2.html

Plug it in when you want to watch movies, listen to a large music collection etc.
May 11, 2011
187 posts
96 upvotes
Longueuil
JamesA1 wrote: If you want microSD expansion memory on the original Moto G, you can always get one of these: http://www.meenova.com/st/p/mrg2.html

Plug it in when you want to watch movies, listen to a large music collection etc.
Or buy an OTG flash drive. I got this one a few weeks ago:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/silicon-powe ... 1-1303.htm

Works fine, although it tend to run a little hot. The Linke drives don't have this issue, supposedly:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/linke-on-the ... 5-1303.htm