Home & Garden

Mount Central Air Conditioner: Ground Vs Wall Bracket

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2011 9:47 pm
May 1, 2007
157 posts

Mount Central Air Conditioner: Ground Vs Wall Bracket

I am getting a new Central Air Conditioner this weekend, my contractor told me there are two way I could choose to mount my unit:
1. mount it on the Patio Concrete Block sit on the groud
2. mount it on the bracket to the wall.

I am wondering which way is better, the contractor told me 1 choice is better, he explain it reduce the noise because the Fan vibration doesn't affect the house.
But I see a lot of family actually mount it on the bracket to the wall. Any advice?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
have had both ways and do like on ground better. Had some vibrations when mounted and just replaced mine and had choice and put on ground again.
Aug 21, 2009
1 posts
All I can tell you is this...My neighbor and I have the exact same house and the exact same air conditioner, a 3 ton Keeprite quiet 3000 air conditioner. His is 6. 5 years old, mine is 5 yrs old. His is mounted on brackets, mine is on the ground on a patio slab. Mine is quiet...

I can only hear the soft woosh of the fan on my AC. My neighbors bracket mounted AC, on the other hand, is bloody loud and makes a terrible vibration buzz that really drives me nuts. And not just when it kicks in...the whole time the fan runs.....buzzzzzzzzz.... When we sit on the back patio and that thing turns on it totally over powers everything and it's all you can hear.

The original owner of the house had it installed on the brackets in part because our house had not been built yet and it was better on the brackets because they would have to tear up the ground to pour our foundation, ect. But if you have the chance to tell the installer to leave ample pipe or whatever so that you can move it to the ground later, that would have been ideal...if that's possible. I really think that it would be great if they could fix the AC so it was on the ground. Someone told my neighbor that it was "better" to have it on the ground for drainage or somethig. I say that's BS.

My anwser...put it on the ground on a patio slab and save yourself (and your neighbors) the agrevation of the constant loud buzz of the AC.
Dec 28, 2010
3 posts
St. Catharines
Hi there,

My neighbour recently replaced his central air unit and decided to put it on brackets that are mounted to the house. Ever since, we have been hearing and feeling vibrations in our house, I can tell you exactly when their unit turns on and exactly when it turns off, it is extremely annoying since we live in a semi.

Is there anything that can be done about this since my neighbour does not want to have the company who installed the unit come back to put it on the ground.

Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
1495 posts
Ours is on brackets and we do not have any vibration issues. They installed dampeners (plastic washers) to prevent this.

Our neighbors is on a slab and his AC is tilted a lot. We live in a new area and our houses are five years old.

Doing it again i'd get the brackets.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
5958 posts
We had our new A/C unit installed on a slab, but it is NOT concrete. It's a lighter material specifically made for the A/C units and has limestone underneath it. I'm much lighter then a concrete slab and we with the unit mounted at the side of the house we can not hear it on the back deck which is around 25 feet away. It's mounted outside of the kitchen window and when the unit is turned on, we can't hear it on the other side of the kitchen window which is around 5 ft. away.

I would pick the slab next time around since the legs are made out of rubber so there is no vibration.
× < >